Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

54 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I dont think he will sign for us long-term. 

Maybe he won’t, but he has to play pretty damn good to make some other club pay up.

One problem with Coutinho is that Gerrard would rather commit harakiri than bench him. Gerrard has bet his whole credibilty on bringing Coutinho back to the top.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

Poor with the ball today compared to his usual standards.

It was a very Buendia-esque performance where in some moments he would look sensational...before just kicking it out of ply under no pressure.

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

I dont think he will sign for us long-term. 

I don't think he was ever going to. People here claiming he's better than Grealish who has left for 100m to go and win things, if Coutinho still has any desire to win things he won't be joining us. 

We are also back to as we were, one man team. If we want Coutinho to play well he needs more options, get Bailey and Traore out wide and give Coutinho some space, he might be able to operate in narrow spaces playing quick one touch football but unfortunately he's passing the ball to the likes of McGinn and Watkins who can't do that.

• Like 1

He has been great for us overall and got a lot of goals and assists, but after the last game you could see he clearly needs a rest. He wasn't fit when he joined and needs time, just playing him regardless of his performances is not the way to do it. Lat game or this would have been perfect to give him a rest and play Buendia instead.

7 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe he won’t, but he has to play pretty damn good to make some other club pay up.

One problem with Coutinho is that Gerrard would rather commit harakiri than bench him. Gerrard has bet his whole credibilty on bringing Coutinho back to the top.

I think villa will shift heaven and earth to make him stay. I really think we will outgun wages offered elsewhere.

Obviously if PC wants a crack at CL football that's a different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joshharris12 said:

Be of to arsenal imo 

That link won't go away but I really don't think they need him unless they plan to push Odegaard back to an 8 next season.

They currently have him, Saka, Smith Rowe and Martinelli in shake up for four positions so would feel odd to me for them to add him aswell given he's 30 soon and they've had issue in recent seasons with players at that age getting good wages and not playing much like Ozil and Willian.

Arsenal need another CM and CF before him. For where we are in our development we need a shortish term signing like him to raise profile of club compared to Arsenal.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2022 at 09:23, samjp26 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/mar/12/magical-misfit-philippe-coutinho-may-have-found-unlikely-home-at-aston-villa

Weird article. Basically says he’s found his level, can’t press and isn’t as good as JG

Looks like this article might turn out to be pretty accurate. He is a wonderful footballer but he is inconsistent. Liverpool's system allowed him to flourish but he is limited when it comes to pressing and covering ground. IMO, he is definitely good enough but we will need to accomodate him from a defending from the front point of view, if that's how we want to play of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Looks like this article might turn out to be pretty accurate. He is a wonderful footballer but he is inconsistent. Liverpool's system allowed him to flourish but he is limited when it comes to pressing and covering ground. IMO, he is definitely good enough but we will need to accomodate him from a defending from the front point of view, if that's how we want to play of course.

Bring in guys like Ndidi and Bissouma to take up the slack from his lack of defending.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

Â