Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

According to Percy in the Torygraph, Phil's on £480k per week.

That's gonna be some climbdown in wages if he wants to stay at VP.

Clearly, he'd still be earning an unimaginable amount of cash here but it won't even be half what he's getting there. Unless he's a vital figurehead for the project, in which case his value will go beyond goals and assists.

Yep, wages going to be the issue. Article says we’re paying around 25% of his wages currently. Says another season long loan is a possibility but Gerrard wants to buy. Final decision will probably with Coutinho and what other options he has.

Interesting aside, Percy mentions that the summer reshape would include a few surprise casualties. 

Edited by WallisFrizz
Typo

He's a wonderful player, but I do wonder what our plans are for FFP when we're going to have Ings and Coutinho at 30, on massive wages, relatively large transfer fees, and pretty much no resale value, hopefully we can spin a profit on some of our youngsters.

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

According to Percy in the Torygraph, Phil's on £480k per week.

That's gonna be some climbdown in wages if he wants to stay at VP.

Clearly, he'd still be earning an unimaginable amount of cash here but it won't even be half what he's getting there. Unless he's a vital figurehead for the project, in which case his value will go beyond goals and assists.

I think the part in bold might be the case. Our branding and any commercial enterprises could include him going forward. World Cup year as well, he’ll get plenty of exposure.  I reckon we’ll agree a deal with him of around £200k-£250k a week.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

It isn't that complicated. He will have to take a pay cut if he wants to leave Barcelona. No one can afford that, and that is one of the reasons Barca are in the mess they are.  Surely his main priority now will be to get games and be in the Brazil squad for the World Cup. He could still get paid a sh*t load if he commits to Villa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's a wonderful player, but I do wonder what our plans are for FFP when we're going to have Ings and Coutinho at 30, on massive wages, relatively large transfer fees, and pretty much no resale value, hopefully we can spin a profit on some of our youngsters.

I think the state of Everton should put fear/sense into everyone who wants to have players, even PC, on astronomical wages. Their wage bill is the largest outside the big six and it’s causing them massive problems. 

I really hope we can sort something out to have him stay here (and another season loan might be perfect) but I hope we don’t tie ourselves to 3 years of £250k pw ( or whatever) on a 30 year old.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yep, wages going to be the issue. Article says we’re paying around 25% of his wages currently. Says another season long loan is a possibility but Gerrard wants to buy. Final decision will probably with Coutinho and what other options he has.

Interesting aside, Percy mentions that the summer reshape would include a few surprise casualties. 

I dont think its surprising at all re. Casualties. We need that to happen in order to evolve. Cant fund better players without it sadly.

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I dont think its surprising at all re. Casualties. We need that to happen in order to evolve. Cant fund better players without it sadly.

I think the surprise around the casualties is more the “who” than the fact we are making them. Like if Mings or McGinn were to leave for example.

he's always been called humble. 480k a week for however long he's been at barca, plus the various bonus' and signing on fee from the liverpool, he's surely not short of a few bob. he really doesn't strike me as the sort to insist on 400k+ wages when he would still be on 200+

though i now have serious question marks over said option to buy. based on everything ive read previously, future contract details are thrashed out at the time of the loan deal, but all reports indicate this has yet to be done.

9 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Controversial, he isn’t worth 30 mil a year if we are missing out on Europe..

But isn't he the sort of player to achieve and cement a European place? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think the surprise around the casualties is more the “who” than the fact we are making them. Like if Mings or McGinn were to leave for example.

based on mcginn being in the starting 11 even when he was underperforming and mings being captain i think they are unlikely

i think the 'who' could mean more like a luiz, watkins or konsa

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Worrying about the accounts is pretty tedious, but you kind of have to in an FFP world. Assuming he signs on "just" £200k and leaves on a free at 33, is Coutinho the best bang for the buck we can get for £70m over 3 years  in our efforts to get  in to Europe? 

The Ings signing, and more so this, give me the impression that time is of the essence, Newcastle's takeover probably intensifies that urgency. It's a hell of lot of money on a player that we're quite unlikely to recoup a penny on though. Will he still look worth that £200k when he's 32?

Ultimately though, he's a bloody brilliant player, and I can't influence it, so if we sign him I'll just sit back and enjoy watching probably the best player to pull on the shirt in decades.

• Like 2

This was the fear from people at the time of his signing the wages at the end of the season and its one of the reasons why people argued that the option to buy was just an actual option and not guaranteed.

Coutinho might be happy to take a pay cut but surely his agents will shop him around first to increase his wages

22 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Oh no, ye that's what I mean. I said to my mate after the Leeds game, it wouldn't surprise me if two or three of those who started tonight, other than Coutinho because a loan, arent here next season.

It seems mad but that's what will likely happen. We'd need to do this anyway, plus Gerrard probably isnt impressed with a few who have decent value anyway.

• Like 1

If it’s a case of earning 200-250k at Villa or earning 300-350k elsewhere, I’m reasonably confident he would choose Villa. 

As others have said, he’s been burnt before going for “the big move”. I have a hunch he would choose somewhere that he knows he enjoys playing, is well liked by supporters, can be the star man and has an excellent rapport with the manager.

I'm just going to enjoy him while he is here. I would never have expected that a player like him would be playing for us (so soon anyway).

If we somehow manage to sign him then great. I don't expect that the board are going to sign off on a purchase that will send us in to financial ruin or jeopardise our medium to long term prospects.

NSWE have big plans, and they will need a player like this to get there. I would sacrifice at least three of the current squad for one Coutinho, but I don't think it will come to that - we'll end up near £300k a week for him and that should be enough to fend off NUFC who will obviously offer more. All IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

If he stays fit and  have more players on his wavelength.  We cannot underestimate the quality of teams around us that will strengthen. 

Â