Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

If not, just shout loud and slow at the other, works for me in Spain to a limited degree 

*waitress turns and heads to the bar muttering “que idiota” under her breath

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Here is a completely mad/ignorant question.

If Buendia and Coutinho were in conversation on the pitch, what language would they be speaking in? 

Body language

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If Buendia and Coutinho were in conversation on the pitch, what language would they be speaking in? 

Spanish presumably as I assume that would be easiest for both. Coutinho was at Barca for four years and had a spell at Espanyol early in his career, so I imagine he can speak Spanish pretty well as I doubt it's that hard for a Portuguese speaker to pick up. It may be English, but then they'd both be speaking a foreign language and one even further removed for Coutinho.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Spanish presumably as I assume that would be easiest for both. Coutinho was at Barca for four years and had a spell at Espanyol early in his career, so I imagine he can speak Spanish pretty well as I doubt it's that hard for a Portuguese speaker to pick up. It may be English, but then they'd both be speaking a foreign language and one even further removed for Coutinho.

Yep. Also Spanish and Portuguese are much closer to one another than they are to English.

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

August 2021: We’ve lost the greatest player to play for us.

February 2022: This is the greatest player to play for us.

I love it! Onwards and upwards.

The king is dead.

Long live the king.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Probably in Spanish, and not just because Coutinho probably learned it at Barca. For the spoken language, Portuguese speakers have an easier time understanding Spanish than the other way around. Spanish has only 5 vowels, while Portuguese has a complicated vowel system that Spanish speakers have trouble dealing with. They're close enough that, in writing, speakers of either language can read the other without too much trouble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

When he signed for Barca in 2018, he was asked if spoke Spanish and he said he fully understands Spanish but only speaks it a little

I imagine 4 years at Barca has made him fluent. He had a spell at Espanyol early in his career, which probably helped as well. 

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

They do both speak fluent English...

ye...but there was a training clip i saw where they were walking side by side and talking to each other in (i assume) Spanish, so whatever language it was they spoke in, that is clearly their most comfortable way to liaise between the two of them.

• Like 1

Â