Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

There’s “doubts” over Coutinho… and same from me too, but mostly because I haven’t watched him play that much at all since he left Liverpool :D 

This is a huge statement (if it happens). In the same way that signing Bailey was a big statement. These are the sort of transfers the “big teams” make. 

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

The mixed reactions on here are mental.

I really think that our fans have over the course of the last 20 years or so have adopted the same attitude and mindset as the team we have been watching over that period.

We have spent so long being okay that there is a certain fear of greatness and fear of success that has permeated the club from top to bottom which is only now starting to be eradicated.

And I think Gerrard is the first to come into the club and say that okay isn't good enough and that we are capable of doing better, being bigger and challenging the big boys.

Who cares if PC is on big wages - it's not your money. Enjoy this moment because 99% of clubs in the English hierarchy would sell their tea lady to be in this position. 

It's learned behaviour. I don't blame any fan for being wary of expensive signings, or failed signings, or mercenary signings. The last 20 years have been nothing but near misses, possible extinction, disappointment and anti-climax. Fans have become susceptible to this and being "okay" is a safer place to be than striving for excellence with the possibility of not achieving it. I really think the Lerner era hit fans harder than most understand. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

If he signs I’m literally going to order a shirt with his name on within a minute of the official announcement! Lol

You know what I might do too... With my history of gabby, Delph, delphoneuso, Albrighton what could go wrong... 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

If he signs I’m literally going to order a shirt with his name on within a minute of the official announcement! Lol

Good luck with that. I ordered a personalised keeper shirt for my daughter for her birthday. They spelt her name wrong despite it being correct on the package label. Then offered me a 10% discount to keep it. 🙂 

(eventually got a free replacement, now trying to get the glue off the back of the original to make it usable!).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

The mixed reactions on here are mental.

I really think that our fans have over the course of the last 20 years or so have adopted the same attitude and mindset as the team we have been watching over that period.

We have spent so long being okay that there is a certain fear of greatness and fear of success that has permeated the club from top to bottom which is only now starting to be eradicated.

And I think Gerrard is the first to come into the club and say that okay isn't good enough and that we are capable of doing better, being bigger and challenging the big boys.

Who cares if PC is on big wages - it's not your money. Enjoy this moment because 99% of clubs in the English hierarchy would sell their tea lady to be in this position. 

Too be fair about the wages part. It’s not about whose money it is. It’s about what having a player who commands a 350k a week wage does to the club in the long term. There’s a reason we couldn’t offer Grealish as much as Man City, and thankfully didn’t. It wasn’t feasible. So I can’t criticize people for being weary about bringing a guy like him for that reason. Regardless, sounds like Villa worked their magic and are only paying half, or what Ings is essentially making.

Â