Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

8 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

That's quite a bit for a punt. Just for the fact it quells any lack of ambition talk I'm for it. 

Well it raises our profile, he is likely to add points to the board when fit, and we may finish a couple of places higher than we otherwise would have so it may be the difference between 11/10th or 8/9th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

We will offer to cover about half his wages, Newcastle will cover all and buy him a small island. Can't see it happening.

Yeah, but my local club has better facilities than Newcastle. Money is important but the working environment is also very important and particularly so when u have shit loads of cash in the bank already. Why would Coutinho sign for a club with crap facilities that is a horrible place to go to work every day?  Thanks to NSWE, we have state of the art facilities and can offer a fabulous working environment and our owners don't chop journalists heads off and chop them up into little bits when they say nasty truthful things about them.

• Haha 1

A story in two posts.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

A lot of people fretting about his age, it’s worth noting that Mane and Salah are both 29, Lukaku and Kane are both 28, United have Cavani and Ronaldo up front who are 35+. De Bruyne - 30. Gundogan - 31. Mahrez - 30. Spurs best player? Son - 29. Vardy - 34. These are the best players in the division. 

This guy isn’t past it, nowhere near. He may still have 2/3 years left at an extremely high level. Whilst we’d all like him to be 24 and have resale value, he wouldn’t come to us if he was that age and we’re a fairly young squad as it is. He’ll be playing alongside the likes of Buendia - 24, Bailey - 23, Ramsey - 20, McGinn - 26, Luiz - 24, Cash - 24, Konsa - 24, Watkins - 26.

We have a young side. Honestly, his age doesn’t bother me and it would be great to have a little more experience with a bloke who has played at the very top. The same goes for Digne if we’re in for him. At 28/29, you might not be able to sell for a big profit in 3/4 years time, but football is about the here and now as much as it is the future. We are investing heavily into the academy and the younger players, I’m all for going after a few big, slightly older named players while we wait for the academy to produce one or two gems in a couple of years time. 

From the Danny Ings thread.

IMG_20220105_165507.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well it raises our profile, he is likely to add points to the board when fit, and we may finish a couple of places higher than we otherwise would have so it may be the difference between 11/10th or 8/9th

A couple of places higher is worth 7m quid

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

What’s your point? 

Is Coutinho costing £30m in a transfer fee? 

If he cost us 30m in the summer I would be happy with that. Obviously we wouldn't sign him if he wasn't a success but 30m for a player of his calibre is chump change. But for now, he will be costing us relatively **** all for the loan, maybe 7m to 10m which covers wages too

• Like 1

If you had told me a few years ago when folk on VT were telling me Bacuna and Hutton were perfectly fine Premier players that in the not too distant future people would be turning their noses up at signing Coutinho I'd have...probably believed you because this is the twilight zone.

On one hand I absolutely understand and borderline agree with anyone that thinks this just feels like one of those destined to not work out (mostly powered by years of Villa-induced pessimism), but at the same time you are absolutely joyless if you're not willing to find out. Drink it in lads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

If you had told me a few years ago when folk on VT were telling me Bacuna and Hutton were perfectly fine Premier players that in the not too distant future people would be turning their noses up at signing Coutinho I'd have...probably believed you because this is the twilight zone.

On one hand I absolutely understand and borderline agree with anyone that thinks this just feels like one of those destined to not work out (mostly powered by years of Villa-induced pessimism), but at the same time you are absolutely joyless if you're not willing to find out. Drink it in lads.

Indeed. Signings like this are part of the joy of football. If it doesn’t work out then whatever, no big loss and the ride was fun. 

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Isn't this lad completely passed it now? I mean I haven't been following closely but hasn't he been on the sidelines for about half a decade or something?

Only won a Champions League, Copa America,  Bundesliga, 2 La Ligas, 2 Spanish Cups and a German Cup since leaving Liverpool!

As far as I can tell so far,  this is speculation from NITK journos taking info from an agent trying to drum up interest in his client.  Have there been any concrete links coming from our side?

1 hour ago, joshharris12 said:

Strong rumours arsenal are about to hijack 

Noun: Stalking Horse

1. Person or thing that is used to conceal another person's real intentions.

Stevie to Philipe when he opts for top four security over the thrill of possibly flirting with relegation...

"You know what, we're done. You've just used me as a stalking horse to get to Mikel"

Edited by Lerner's Driver

Â