Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yep, I know that. Buy for 20m, extend after 2 years and u have 2.5m a year for the next 4 years assuming a 2 year extension. Sell in year 3 and there is 7.5m extra profit over the freebie signing for years 4,5 and 6 of FFP

A contract extension is not the same thing as a new contract. In this example the extension gives less money to the player who started with a lower wage and that’s reflected in FFP. 

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Never heard of this guy but he's tweeted about 10 times in last few days about this story. Also talking about Neves to Man. United (which I heard on radio this morning) and also tweeted a picture of Trippier on a plane leaving Madrid so seems he's onto something.

Would be exciting to get Coutinho in for both Man. United games as we would get some space centrally to work with in periods of those games and would make the home game v them a tremendous atmosphere.

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Loan and Option to Buy 

WOW. This is something I really did not expect or think possible. I don't know if it will work out or be a good thing but fair play to NSWE, Purslow and Gerrard. This would be a statement signing

Just now, VillaChris said:

Never heard of this guy but he's tweeted about 10 times in last few days about this story. Also talking about Neves to Man. United (which I heard on radio this morning) and also tweeted a picture of Trippier on a plane leaving Madrid so seems he's onto something.

Would be exciting to get Coutinho in for both Man. United games as we would get some space centrally to work with in periods of those games and would make the home game v them a tremendous atmosphere.

Interesting that the betting market shifted from likely us signing him to big odds on in the last half hour. 1/2 into 1/6

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I was just looking into his Twitter history, seems legit.

Has a lot of followers too!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A contract extension is not the same thing as a new contract. In this example the extension gives less money to the player who started with a lower wage and that’s reflected in FFP. 

I understand how contract extensions work. I am not sure this discussion is relevant to a Countinho thread. A poster asked if a freebie with high wages was the same as a transfer fee with low wages. I was just explaining the difference. We don't need to go into the detail of how and why it is different and FFP and accounting. That is too much like the day job. Can we just leave it at that and agree that there are differences

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I was just looking into his Twitter history, seems legit.

Has a lot of followers too!

Had a quick check, he mentioned Ragnick to Man. United on Nov 6th and said we contacted Gerrard on 7th Nov (think that was Monday  and it was all just speculation) so he either is a lucky guesser or has some decent sources.

If the odds are really shifting to odds on then that suggests this is very advanced.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

You’re all just creaming yourself because he has a foreign name. Classic VillaTalk.

If he was English his name would be Phillip Enclosed Pasture and you lot wouldn’t be so impressed, would you?

Ohhhh yes we would

Btw, he's behind you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A lot of people fretting about his age, it’s worth noting that Mane and Salah are both 29, Lukaku and Kane are both 28, United have Cavani and Ronaldo up front who are 35+. De Bruyne - 30. Gundogan - 31. Mahrez - 30. 

This guy isn’t past it, nowhere near. He may still have 2/3 years left at an extremely high level. Whilst we’d all like him to be 24 and have resale value, he wouldn’t come to us if he was that age and we’re a fairly young squad as it is. He’ll be playing alongside the likes of Buendia - 24, Bailey - 23, Ramsey - 20, McGinn - 26, Luiz - 24, Cash - 24, Konsa - 24, Watkins - 26.

We have a young side. Honestly, his age doesn’t bother me and it would be great to have a little more experience with a bloke who has played at the very top. The same goes for Digne if we’re in for him. At 28/29, you might not be able to sell for a big profit in 3/4 years time, but football is about the here and now as much as it is the future. We are investing heavily into the academy and the younger players, I’m all for going after a few big, slightly older named players while we wait for the academy to produce one or two gems in a couple of years time. 

You’re right it’s a question of balance. Plenty of youth in our team so one of two older heads makes sense. Like you say he’s only 29 players look after themselves much better now and many go on to their mid thirties and more. 

54 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Welcome to the club Philippe Coutinho

What club is this? The ‘I’m too old to wank, therefore I piss myself instead’ club?

Edited by jim
  • Haha 4

His time at Barca has been shit but he's still the right side of 30 and was genuinely one of the best players on the planet when he moved. 

If we make it happen then it'll be because we can afford it. No way we're blowing £350k a week on him. Everybody knows Barca are screwed and there'll be a happy medium where they're not shelling out all that regardless of whether he plays or not for them. 

I don't expect peak Liverpool Coutinho but damn, him and Buendia as two 10's could rip defences apart. 

Â