Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

Front 3 looked semi-threatening first half without really creating a fat lot. We need more involvement from elsewhere, either a CM runner or full backs getting forward, there's never enough up there to create better chances.

Full backs are a problem for me. I'm not sure they have enough quality in the final 3rd to be the ones we need to help with creativity.

Hopefully that is the last time we see Trez in a Villa shirt, no faulting the effort he's just nowhere near good enough and shouldn't be getting game time. Same with El Ghazi and Hause.

7 minutes ago, Badgerbee said:

Didn't say it was a "Good performance". You probably deserved a point, if not all 3. Like we did at home to Chelsea earlier in the season. Shit happens.

Just don't like fans being condescending about my team.

I understand that, I don't think any fan does. But coming on to a different clubs forum and posting a comment like that does you no favours and makes u just as bad as the condescending fans. Welcome to our forum though, if u are nice to people then people tend to be nice back

Lost shamefully to Brentfords reserves.

Need you really say more apart from this team are a million miles off being in Europe.

Targett his usual awful self. Countless chances to deliver good ball but everytime looked like a school kid just kicking it to absolutely nobody or more likely straight at their keeper, out for a GK or straight to one of their players.

Troare was abysmal

Hause looked like a disinterested bloke who hadn't played for 5 years.

And as for Luiz? What on Earth was that today. Appaling performance and lost to a team who played abysmally themselves. Says it all.

New signings clearly needed.

Get rid of Traore, Trez, Targett,  Hause & back to school for a few others.

Shocking perfomance, an utter disgrace to the shirt to lose to their reserves like that.

Call themselves Premier League footballers?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Badgerbee said:

Didn't say it was a "Good performance". You probably deserved a point, if not all 3. Like we did at home to Chelsea earlier in the season. Shit happens.

Just don't like fans being condescending about my team.

You've been told already, but you should expect this on a opposing forum. We as Villa fans are very unhappy losing to a poor Brentford display. You was poor we were worst unfortunately.

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Need you really say more apart from this team are a million miles off being in Europe.

Targett his usual awful self. Countless chances to deliver good ball but everytime looked like a school kid just kicking it to absolutely nobody or more likely straight at their keeper, out for a GK or straight to one of their players.

Troare was abysmal

And as for Luiz? What on Earth was that today. Appaling performance and lost to a team who played abysmally themselves. Says it all.

Shocking perfomance, an utter disgrace to the shirt to lose to their reserves like that.

100% this.

Looked like a game day after the Christmas party.

Think some of you need to cut us some slack yes we were pretty poor today and lucky to get 3 points but we only started with 4 of our starting line up from the opening game of the season.Even Thomas Frank thought the same but you weren’t that great either today granted also not helped by key players being out Oli especially.I’m pretty sure we will stay up now especially as we have key players returning very soon and expect you to push on towards the top 6 in the coming weeks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Troare was abysmal

Luiz lacks pace for me, to be a real talent at this level.

2 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Think some of you need to cut us some slack yes we were pretty poor today and lucky to get 3 points but we only started with 4 of our starting line up from the opening game of the season.Even Thomas Frank thought the same but you weren’t that great either today granted also not helped by key players being out Oli especially.I’m pretty sure we will stay up now especially as we have key players returning very soon and expect you to push on towards the top 6 in the coming weeks.

I don't think u guys were at risk of going down. Norwich are down. Toon should be down but there is always the wildcard they may buy Messi and Ronaldo and Mbappe in Jan (or some other mad window) but I expect they will be play Chumps football next season. Then there is only one place left and I think there are multiple teams that will occupy that spot before Bees. U are nailed on for another season in the PL. TF is doing a good job

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I understand that, I don't think any fan does. But coming on to a different clubs forum and posting a comment like that does you no favours and makes u just as bad as the condescending fans. Welcome to our forum though, if u are nice to people then people tend to be nice back

I have been a visiting supporter here since early 2018 & have been treated very well. I don't always agree with what is said about my club but I pick & choose my moments to comment.

At the end of the day I am a guest in your house & need to remember that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I have been a visiting supporter here since early 2018 & have been treated very well. I don't always agree with what is said about my club but I pick & choose my moments to comment.

At the end of the day I am a guest in your house & need to remember that.

All guests welcome, I have been on your forum quite a bit over the years too and I have always been welcomed. I think it is great when opposing fans come on to discuss the games. Its like a bit of banter with your mates in the pub and with Covid for the last couple of years I have really missed that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

It feels like we’ve been saying this for years but we need a real top level defensive midfielder. Some one who puts their foot on the ball and slows things down. 
I like Luiz but he’s not a DM and is much much better pushing forward. 

To be fair, Naka was showing signs of growing into a good DM. But we still need one, whether as cover for Naka, or (preferably) whether top-notch and keeping Naka for cover.

I agree that Dougie is better used as an 8 than a 6.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

We would have been better today if we had Mings on the pitch but I would prefer an upgrade to Mings, hence why I said if we get a suitable offer.

Even if you could bring in any two of Ruben Dias or Bonucci or Chellini or Thiago Silva or Van Dijk or anyone world class, I would still keep Mings around as cover. He's only one step short of world class. Why sell him?

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I've been saying this since Gerrard took over. We've dispensed with width and wide forwards to stay compact centrally however, it is having a knock on effect with our creativity and potential to counter attack teams. It also leaves us exposed when Cash or Targett bomb on. If Gerrard persists with this then we may as well get rid of the wide players, Targett and Cash and start again and get to FBs that are strong, quick and can cross the ball. 

I disagree. We're narrow in defense, but in attack, the outer midfielders move out wide (today, McGinn on the left, Ramsey on the right), Cash and Targett move up and provide width too (albeit Targett not very well), even the wide forwards drift out (Buendia and Traore could both be found out wide today).

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Not sure we have the full backs to play this system in the premier League. Cash maybe but Target is out of his depth. 

Targett was poor today. He's not good enough to take us to the next level. Grealish helped hide his deficiencies, Gerrard's system has helped hide his deficiencies, but they're there. I wouldn't sell him; he's useful cover. See comment about Mings above.

• Like 1

Let's be brutally honest. We were really poor in the second half against Chelsea, and overall not much better today. We scored a really nice goal, but other than that I can't remember any clear cut chances. It's too predictable and don't get enough bodies in the box. How many times did McGinn or Ramsay get in the box? The answer is very few, and that is because Gerrard does not want them that high up the field. That's the way he wants to play. He relies on the front three making the opportunities, I just think it makes us a little too predictable.

• Like 2

The idea of Brentford having most of their team missing is being greatly exaggerated:

Fernández 10 PL appearances

Pinnock 18 PL appearances

Jansson 19 PL appearances

Bech Sørensen 4 PL appearances

Roerslev 9 PL appearances

Onyeka 17 PL appearances

Nørgaard 18 PL appearances

Jensen 13 PL appearances

Canos 18 PL appearances

Wissa 11 PL appearances

Toney 17 PL appearance

So they obviously weren't as depleted as some are making out, most of their team today would have played a big part in the good season they're having so far. Another thing about their squad, and I mean this as a compliment, is that a lot of their players are much of a muchness, meaning if one or two are out injured, in most positions they have someone of a similar quality to bring in.

You could probably say we were just as much affected by Nakamba, Mings, Bailey, and Waktins missing, as they were by the players missing for them.

• Like 1

Brentford seem to be a new bogey team of ours.  I didn't watch the game, I've lost a fair bit of emotional investment since Jack and Dean have gone, looking at the bench it seems harsh to blame Gerrard for the selection and subs.  Hopefully we have a decent window, maybe today's game will give the owners a bit of a nudge.

If Gerrard decides a lot of these players don't fit in with his system that is going to mean wholesales changes to the squad probably in the summer and even more money to be spent. I hope Wes and Naseef are still committed to the 'project' as its going to take a lot more bunce  to get us competing for european spots.

Â