Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

2 hours ago, hippo said:

If our owners are as ambitious as they say - then maybe Conte , Poch, hard sell I know. But you can't fudge the managers position - heaven knows we have tried over the years.

This is the type of manager that would show ambition. There are others that would take some convincing to come to us but that's Purslow's job, to get us a manger we probably don't deserve.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I simply, don't see it that way.....I think "experienced",as a single entity is over rated......at lot more is required to go with it.

Why didn't we go for the most experienced man in football?......Neil Warnock

See above, Neil Warnock doesn't shout ambition.

Anyway I hope SG works out and I'm fully behind him , he's shown some signs of improving us, especially in the middle of the park. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This. And as we can see with Man U, getting a new manager in and expecting them to wave magic wand often doesn't happen even with club's that possess bottomless resources and lots of marquee players. I think what matters most is the general direction and tone of the management style, and it's hard to imagine -- with some caveats -- some other magical approach working better than SG's at the moment. I liked Dean Smith a lot, but he'd plateaued. SG seems much hungrier to me. It's part of what I admire about Arteta. He may not have loads of experience, but he has the same lean and desperate-for-wins look. I suppose that's not much to go on, a gut feeling, but what's the alternative?

Conte, when he arrived at Spurs, said something along the lines, “It’s a training bib not a wand”. Meaning you can’t just turn everything around in the blink of an eye. When there’s a change in manager it’s generally because things have gone wrong somewhere along the line. That needs fixing and fixing things takes time, money and a lot of hard work. Gerrard is in the job and so far has done well. We had a poor result on Sunday but mid table teams have moments like that from time to time. The general direction is fine, we need to be realistic about what can be achieved in a short period of time, with essentially the same tools to work with,  some of them right tools!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I loathe Liverpool and in particular I loathe there poster boy Stephen Gerrard. So it was pretty much the worst appointment  on earth for me.

If our owners are as ambitious as they say - then maybe Conte , Poch, hard sell I know. But you can't fudge the managers position - heaven knows we have tried over the years.

I can see now, its going to be a hard ride for you,Hippo.

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I loathe Liverpool and in particular I loathe there poster boy Stephen Gerrard. So it was pretty much the worst appointment  on earth for me.

not really worth discussing the subject then really.....your mind is made up.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont blame Gerrard for the loss, his hands are tied with the limited options available to him. Barring traore who was pretty shocking, what other changes is he suppose to make?

I thought his sub was probably only thing you can criticise him for. Sanson was a good sub, but trez was poor and an embarrassment for his actions.

I would have liked archer to get 5-10 mins as w eknow what a threat he can be.

we say this only with hindsight though. at the time trez was a good sub. we know he works hard and has a goal in him. we won't see him for a while though after that, irrespective of AFCON

17 hours ago, hippo said:

Mate I was the same, I still loathe Liverfool, but sometimes you cannot disrespect Gerrard's achievements. he won many games on his own and I'm sure they wouldn;t be where they are without him.

For example, another person I despise is Mark Zukerberg and Facebook. But where he is today and what he has achieved, cannot be ignored.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Mate I was the same, I still loathe Liverfool, but sometimes you cannot disrespect Gerrard's achievements. he won many games on his own and I'm sure they wouldn;t be where they are without him.

For example, another person I despise is Mark Zukerberg and Facebook. But where he is today and what he has achieved, cannot be ignored.

Someone you despise piggy backing on something you love - mixed emotions. 

Your talking Gerrard the player - he proved that over and over. Gerrard the manager - lots of questions why we went for him - especially on such a ridiculous salary. mind boggling tbh.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Someone you despise piggy backing on something you love - mixed emotions. 

Your talking Gerrard the player - he proved that over and over. Gerrard the manager - lots of questions why we went for him - especially on such a ridiculous salary. mind boggling tbh.

To be honest I don't think he would have been in the nix if it wasn't for Purslow. So it's 100% on him.

All we know is he's a winner, we will soon know if it's going to take much more than this,

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be honest I don't think he would have been in the nix if it wasn't for Purslow. So it's 100% on him.

All we know is he's a winner, we will soon know if it's going to take much more than this,

Agreed its either a stroke a genius from purslow - or another in the recent trend of very poor managerial appointments.

Problem is if he bombs it won't be Gerards Fault  - to many mates in the media for that.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed its either a stroke a genius from purslow - or another in the recent trend of very poor managerial appointments.

Problem is if he bombs it won't be Gerards Fault  - to many mates in the media for that.

It won't be Gerrards fault anyway mate, it'll be Purslow's, for not realising it was to early for him, an it's not us with our claret and blues on, this Villa job, is one of the hardest in the league, there is now doubt!!

• Like 2

Just now, foreveryoung said:

It won't be Gerrards fault anyway mate, it'll be Purslow's, for not realising it was to early for him, an it's not us with our claret and blues on, this Villa job, is one of the hardest in the league, there is now doubt!!

The Villa job is a managerial graveyard. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If a team comes to Villa Park and out fights us and wins......do you blame us or them?.....sure we all get pissed off, but maybe we need to start demanding the same fight from our team, as opposed to hating others and taking the easy option, as satisfaction.

We have been a passive outfit, for so long now.....and manager after manager has failed to change it.

We have to have a mentality change and that includes sections of the fans.....jealousy of other teams abilities to do it right are not a recipe for us to satisfy our disappointment with our own team....hating other teams is not a substitute for not being proud of your own.

I have been fortunate enough in my lifetime to see some Villa teams who can fight, forage and scrap for the wins......but sadly, not often enough.

Man U are going through the same dilemma, since they lost their driving force in SAF.....I had a huge suspicion, that would happen.....we have been doing the same for too long.

I am hoping SG puts the fighting spirit, back in to us, but I fear, it might require the right players coming in to do it.

If Gerrard cannot install fighting spirit in this team no one can.

4 offsides in that Brentford game too, this is also lazy play. Have a look where you are for gods sake!!! if you can't see you are offside, you also can't see where your team mates are.

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont blame Gerrard for the loss, his hands are tied with the limited options available to him. Barring traore who was pretty shocking, what other changes is he suppose to make?

I thought his sub was probably only thing you can criticise him for. Sanson was a good sub, but trez was poor and an embarrassment for his actions.

I would have liked archer to get 5-10 mins as w eknow what a threat he can be.

Oh hello. 

Have you been in prison? 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The Villa job is a managerial graveyard. 

It is if you continually recruit players, who offer no improvement.....fight ,desire and a will to win should be pre requisites, but sadly over the years ,they have become a luxury for us.

We have to get these next few windows right.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

It is if you continually recruit players, who offer no improvement.....fight ,desire and a will to win should be pre requisites, but sadly over the years ,they have become a luxury for us.

We have to get these next few windows right.

I doubt we have the ability looking at our last few signings, the more I think about last summer the more I can't believe the crap Purslow spouted when we lost Jack. 3 players to replace 1 and none of them play in his position and the best of them (most logical) was signed before Jack left . 

If it looks, sounds and smells like a mistake then it is a mistake. 

That full back for Brentford, Mads Roerslev......thats the first time he has scored in 37 games for Brentford...and having 2 bites at the cherry to boot.

I'll bet Matty Targett feels pretty shitty about that...well he ought to.

Â