Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

1 minute ago, TRO said:

You mention, amongst the best players, we have got.....I'm not suggesting, they will come under scrutiny.

FWIW despite his brain farts, we all saw how much Influence and organisation was lost with Tyrones Suspension yesterday.

They won't be joining anyone imo.

It isn't a bad squad at all....but in my opinion, there is plenty of scope for improvement as I have pointed out in my last post to you.

SG is still evaluating what he has and the inconsistency of our players, will be no help to him.

I know you don't fancy him as manager Hippo, but don't concoct fantasy theories to confirm your point.

Ps I didn't fancy us in that game against Brentford, and said as much on here, before the game.....I didn't change my opinion, even after we went a goal up and at the end of the first half, even though we dominated possession.....and the reasons is amongst my observations on the previous post to you.

I don't think Stevie G will raise much funds by selling the likes of trez/AEG/traroe.

If he wants an overhaul some of those players will have to be sacrificed. To be honest can't see them wanting to stay with one shot Stevie calling the shots. A transfer to Manu / Arse would look very appealing.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I don't think Stevie G will raise much funds by selling the likes of trez/AEG/traroe.

If he wants an overhaul some of those players will have to be sacrificed. To be honest can't see them wanting to stay with one shot Stevie calling the shots. A transfer to Manu / Arse would look very appealing.

He will be making room for wages, more than raising transfer fee's for those players.

Our best players won't be sold, that would be entirely counter productive.

I really am unsure what your beef actually is?......Not sure what that demeaning comment is supposed to represent either?

So it seems you think he is too inexperienced to take this job on....well if we are still in this position in 12 moths time, your reticence, might have some credence....as for now, it might be worth giving him a chance and keeping your powder dry.

We know you don't approve of the appointment....but its tedious to keep making cheap shots at our manager, every time he is brought up for discussion.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

He will be making room for wages, more than raising transfer fee's for those players.

Our best players won't be sold, that would be entirely counter productive.

I really am unsure what your beef actually is?......Not sure what that demeaning comment is supposed to represent either?

So it seems you think he is too inexperienced to take this job on....well if we are still in this position in 12 moths time, your reticence, might have some credence....as for now, it might be worth giving him a chance and keeping your powder dry.

We know you don't approve of the appointment....but its tedious to keep making cheap shots at our manager, every time he is brought up for discussion.

I actually think he will move some of our big names on - if not now - then most certainly in the summer.

I think the better players will see the direction of travel and vote with there boots.

My beef is he is very inexperienced manager on totally ludicrous salary - making him unsackable.  I really think he will be found out big time over the coming months. Maybe I'm wrong - but that's my beef. 

22 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

If u think that was a good performance by your team I would be worried. Yes, you won the game but you needed a big helping hand from Villa and looked quite poor to be honest. You were fortunate u got an even worse performance from Villa's defence. 

And yes, we have given u 40m for Konsa and Ollie and if we were to sell both of them in this window we would get a lot more than 40m, so thanks for selling us players on the cheap. But I guess it is difficult for small clubs to be able to hold on to players when the big boys come calling.

It’s difficult for any club to hold on to players when the big boys come calling, we have succumbed to this on a number of occasions over the years.

I dont blame Gerrard for the loss, his hands are tied with the limited options available to him. Barring traore who was pretty shocking, what other changes is he suppose to make?

I thought his sub was probably only thing you can criticise him for. Sanson was a good sub, but trez was poor and an embarrassment for his actions.

I would have liked archer to get 5-10 mins as w eknow what a threat he can be.

Edited by Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nothing in life, is certain, but If I was a betting man, my money would be on SG to succeed and to a man who is naturally going to select the next horse to be one he feels he has a real chance with...Aston Villa.

That will do for me.

We didn't need to take such a big chance, we could have waited for a manager with a proven record of creating teams that win and changing games with substitutions. 

I do think SG will succeed given time and money but it's more of a risk than I would have taken at our stage and SG's. 

he pressure will build pretty quickly if we drop down a few places, is SG experienced enough to cope with that type of pressure? 

An early indicator of our chances of success will be players staying or leaving, if the likes of Watkins , McGinn start to go then the writing is on the wall

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Fair enough.

To me he is on a tight timeline simply because he made himself so unpopular with Aston Villa as a player (his words).

All of the people I sit by and all of the villa fans I know outside the forum (except 1) are totally un enthusiastic about this appointment. 

I think the fans will turn on Gerrard pretty quickly - he's made a decent start - but read the forum - he has a considerable number of detractors. 

As you say NSWE ,Purslow have gone all in on Stevie G - if it bombs what will be the aftermath ? - the press won't blame Stevie G , he has two many mates in the media.

I really think it's a shit show in the making.

I think you have a very narrow mind.....what other players do when they are playing against us is their business, they are there to beat us, that is the nature of the beast.....If we don't accept that, its going to be a very dull ride.

Considering John Terry, spent 17 years picking up trophies at Chelsea and giving us batterings, he soon settled in to a very comfortable time at B6

Its a job to them Hippo, just like we leave Jobs and settle in.....I worked for a Major car firm for 20 odd years and give my all, retired, got bored, and went to work for a competitor and give them my all too...no body questioned my past, just grateful for what I was doing for them.

Thats what they do, SG would have loved to have beaten Liverpool.....take your blinkers off and your mates an enjoy the ride.

The media are like many things in life......They are like a moth, they get attracted to the brightest light.

If any manager bombs.....what then?

just as a matter of interest Hippo, who was your first choice as manager?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

New manager, played 8, won 4 lost 4 (3 against top three in the league) with the same squad of players that lost 5 on the bounce previously , are people seriously suggesting that the crowd could turn so quickly? If that was to be the case it would be more embarrassing for the club than Trezeguet’s dive yesterday.

• Like 2

Dire game and and back to our old selves with being able to drive a bus through the centre of defence, as soon as Ramsey went off we had no engine in midfield to plug the gaps and the result was just waiting. The commitment of a Pontus Jansson was needed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

We didn't need to take such a big chance, we could have waited for a manager with a proven record of creating teams that win and changing games with substitutions. 

I do think SG will succeed given time and money but it's more of a risk than I would have taken at our stage and SG's. 

he pressure will build pretty quickly if we drop down a few places, is SG experienced enough to cope with that type of pressure? 

An early indicator of our chances of success will be players staying or leaving, if the likes of Watkins , McGinn start to go then the writing is on the wall

I simply, don't see it that way.....I think "experienced",as a single entity is over rated......at lot more is required to go with it.

Why didn't we go for the most experienced man in football?......Neil Warnock.

Christian Purslow has a lot of responsibilty to get it right, every manager is a big chance.....How many experienced managers have Man U gone for and no sound outcome.

You can only change games with substitutions if you have the diversity of player to do it with.....In my view we have too many samey players, that too was a dilemma for Dean Smith, but I would imagine he had an influence in recruitment, so it was partly, his own fault.

I think the pressure he had at Rangers will trump anything we can offer, so no worries on that front from me.

As the fixtures unfold, there will be up and downs in the league....midtable will be about our position, I think.

I don't see many of our players, wanting to leave this project, only if they are not playing and I would suspect, SG will want to play our best players, so natural wastage, with be the formality.

Just remember too, he has some of the most sought after coaches in his armoury, so I think the coaching issue is a red herring.

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nothing in life, is certain, but If I was a betting man, my money would be on SG to succeed and to a man who is naturally going to select the next horse to be one he feels he has a real chance with...Aston Villa.

This. And as we can see with Man U, getting a new manager in and expecting them to wave magic wand often doesn't happen even with club's that possess bottomless resources and lots of marquee players. I think what matters most is the general direction and tone of the management style, and it's hard to imagine -- with some caveats -- some other magical approach working better than SG's at the moment. I liked Dean Smith a lot, but he'd plateaued. SG seems much hungrier to me. It's part of what I admire about Arteta. He may not have loads of experience, but he has the same lean and desperate-for-wins look. I suppose that's not much to go on, a gut feeling, but what's the alternative?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you have a very narrow mind.....what other players do when they are playing against us is their business, they are there to beat us, that is the nature of the beast.....If we don't accept that, its going to be a very dull ride.

Considering John Terry, spent 17 years picking up trophies at Chelsea and giving us batterings, he soon settled in to a very comfortable time at B6

Its a job to them Hippo, just like we leave Jobs and settle in.....I worked for a Major car firm for 20 odd years and give my all, retired, got bored, and went to work for a competitor and give them my all too...no body questioned my past, just grateful for what I was doing for them.

Thats what they do, SG would have loved to have beaten Liverpool.....take your blinkers off and your mates an enjoy the ride.

The media are like may things in life......They are like a moth, they get attracted to the brightest light.

If any manager bombs.....what then?

just as a matter of interest Hippo, who was your first choice as manager?

I loathe Liverpool and in particular I loathe there poster boy Stephen Gerrard. So it was pretty much the worst appointment  on earth for me.

If our owners are as ambitious as they say - then maybe Conte , Poch, hard sell I know. But you can't fudge the managers position - heaven knows we have tried over the years.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This. And as we can see with Man U, getting a new manager in and expecting them to wave magic wand often doesn't happen even with club's that possess bottomless resources and lots of marquee players. I think what matters most is the general direction and tone of the management style, and it's hard to imagine -- with some caveats -- some other magical approach working better than SG's at the moment. I liked Dean Smith a lot, but he'd plateaued. SG seems much hungrier to me. It's part of what I admire about Arteta. He may not have loads of experience, but he has the same lean and desperate-for-wins look. I suppose that's not much to go on, a gut feeling, but what's the alternative?

Belief.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tinker said:

We didn't need to pay him finance busting phone number salary either. Ludicrous.

Pretty sure some of our better players will start to jump ship over the coming months.

33 minutes ago, Chine said:

Really hope yesterday wasn’t the end of the new manager bounce 🤞

Not a chance, we walked it, take the misses and mistakes out and we were comfortable. Still early, more work on the grass and a few new bodies. Top 10 beckons.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Not a chance, we walked it, take the misses and mistakes out and we were comfortable. Still early, more work on the grass and a few new bodies. Top 10 beckons.

What misses ? - the traroe miss was offside. Haven't re watched - but don't recall us missing a string of clear cut chances ?

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

What misses ? - the traroe miss was offside. Haven't re watched - but don't recall us missing a string of clear cut chances ?

That's what I mean, none on target, the early Ings one off their defender where he could have placed it. I honestly thought we did enough to win that game over the 90.

52 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

As suggested, I took the wife and kids out and we still lost…

• Haha 2

Just now, DJ_Villain said:

As suggested, I took the wife and kids out and we still lost…

Good shot Sir.

Back on to the point though, we had 10 attempts, none of the misses were gimme howler misses, but we had enough to have put that game to bed before the slip ups.

Â