Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/12/21 at 23:59

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Awful. 

3 steps forward 2 steps back. 

Negative tactics. Negative mindset. We're better than this. 

Voted Martinez motm which tells you all you need to know about the game. 

I know you’re not a Villa fan but seriously isn’t the trolling even getting boring now? Christ wept man I always try and be a good poster but you do test me

• Like 2

Just now, supermon said:

Annoying thing is that none of the villa players asked for that penalty. Ings needs to learn how to fall, Salah certainly shot to the ground from such a small touch

I said this when watching the game. If that was Liverpool Salah would be holding his leaf like it was broke and 5-6 Liverpool players would be around the ref complaining! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

No I didn’t

We hoofed the ball to Ollie for the first 45 minutes. Sanson came on and added some energy and then when Buendia came on we played some football. We defended well but could have had a first half penalty against us.  Liverpool weren’t at it today or it could have been a lot worse. 

Just now, SuperTed said:

I know you’re not a Villa fan but seriously isn’t the trolling even getting boring now? Christ wept man I always try and be a good poster but you do test me

Just hide his posts! Job done! 

• Like 3

9 points out of 15 in our last 5 games is way more than I would have expected under Smith (1 point against Brighton would have been his limit) so all in all I am happy that the only two teams to beat us (by the odd goal) have been two of the best teams in Europe who are quite likely to make the latter stages of the CL.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yes we played badly. 

Rewatch the game

City game was miles better. This was a huge let down for me. 

Liverpool are a better side, they are a machine. City, for all their possession, have holes and don’t carry the urgency or threat over every minute of the 90 like Liverpool. You have just watched the Champions today, and possibly the European Champions because I can’t think of a better side in Europe, and at home we only lost by a single goal and again, could’ve taken something from it despite some periods of turmoil.

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Between this match and Man City, for as much as we've been under the cosh for the majority of the time, it's been a perfect runout for our defensive shape and resilience.

With a GD of just minus 2.  Under Smith, that could easily have been -10.

• Like 1

We work so hard under Gerrard and our shape is miles better than we were before he joined.

Even our passing is improving and overall defending is 100 times better.

I just think some of the hoofball tactics and lack of attacking play could have been addressed earlier, but I get if we had have tried to go toe to toe with Plop, they would have probably tore us a new one. 

But you defend for 90 mins and eventually you'll make a mistake and give the opposition the game, especially when playing the prem darlings.

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We hoofed the ball to Ollie for the first 45 minutes. Sanson came on and added some energy and then when Buendia came on we played some football. We defended well but could have had a first half penalty against us.  Liverpool weren’t at it today or it could have been a lot worse. 

Ok we have to agree to disagree about being flat because I don’t agree.  It seems reading the comments most agree with me.

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Norwich Burnley Chelsea Leeds Brentford next 5 games.....got to be looking for max points 4/5 of those games. A real opportunity for us to shoot up the table there, and I have confidence in the manager and playing staff to get us points on the board

Could be 12 points there with a bit of luck 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Liverpool are a better side, they are a machine. City, for all their possession, have holes and don’t carry the urgency or threat over every minute of the 90 like Liverpool. You have just watched the Champions today, and possibly the European Champions because I can’t think of a better side in Europe, and at home we only lost by a single goal and again, could’ve taken something from it despite some periods of turmoil.

I don't care who we play. 

I expect to see more than sitting back for 90 minutes.

West Ham went toe to toe with them a few weeks back and got a result. 

Gave them far too much respect imo. 

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You have to give our shape, set-up and doggedness some credit here: surely the results and statistics against teams played under Gerrard show we have closed them down and shut them out. Look at the xG and shots against, admittedly Liverpools will be the worst but a lot of those shots and on target we’re not really threatening today. I think we are doing ok, we are becoming harder to play against, under Smith teams were running through us easily.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Perhaps they, “weren’t at it today”,because the team they were playing didn’t let them play at their best. 

• Like 2

Â