Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/12/21 at 23:59

Just now, May-Z said:

It's the delay between the contact and going down that is dodgy as **** here.

Fact that he chucks a gambol in at the end should raise a red flag he's trying to engineer something. 

There's simply no way he rolls on his back like that - he's conned the ref big time

I think Salah cleverly chucks his hip at Mings, twists and rolls - it's not really a foul, but you have to do a better job at not getting close enough to him to let him cheat - everyone knows he does it, everyone knows he's going to do it, you have to be smarter when you defend him.

• Like 3

Just now, USA_Villa said:

Let's be honest, we were lucky to get away with 1-0. They should have scored 4. Mings was a definite penalty. Ings was not, unfortunately.

That's interesting, you're the first person I've seen say the Ings one isn't a penalty, either on here or anywhere in the media. Gerrard is on the warpath on it in his post match interviews according to local journos on twitter. I've only seen still images of it - is there any doubt?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Still trying to workout how Salah does his back tumble. I said in the match thread it was a 50/50 at best

Salah knows exactly what he is doing here. He makes sure he puts his leg out to make sure Mings has to touch him and then collapses to the ground

Lots of forwards are good at it, Ronaldo,Kane etc and the referees always fall for it knowing VAR will never overturn it. If that's a penalty then the

Ings/Allison one has to be too. We all know why it wasn't given!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Salah cleverly chucks his hip at Mings, twists and rolls - it's not really a foul, but you have to do a better job at not getting close enough to him to let him cheat - everyone knows he does it, everyone knows he's going to do it, you have to be smarter when you defend him.

Certainly a hard lesson for Mings - I don't think he should be scapegoated for it. Targett was absent so Mings is already out of position against one of the quickest, skilled wingers in the league.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we dealt with it pretty well for most of the game. The trouble is with both Salah and Mane desperate to go down the second they step into the box there’s always going to be one with enough contact that the ref can give it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Certainly a hard lesson for Mings - I don't think he should be scapegoated for it. Targett was absent so Mings is already out of position against one of the quickest, skilled wingers in the league.

Mings is not the reason we lost this game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I think we dealt with it pretty well for most of the game. The trouble is with both Salah and Mane desperate to go down the second they step into the box there’s always going to be one with enough contact that the ref can give it. 

The Mane dive in the first half was outrageous - I don't get the rule, you wave play on, and don't dish out a card. It makes no sense.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Let's be honest, we were lucky to get away with 1-0. They should have scored 4. Mings was a definite penalty. Ings was not, unfortunately.

Ings definitely was! That’s the first I’ve seen somebody say it wasn’t.  From the replay to slow replay to the stills shows it was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Clear foul.... on Mings!

Salah takes a totally unnatural stride across Mings’ path and elbows him in the f—in back!

Yep - I said in the match thread, Mings only tumbles because Salah's fouling him with his elbow and hips. Otherwise, he simply doesn't fall. Salah could easily stay up but doesn't.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

No seriously, what's the foul there? There's contact, but no way that makes him go to ground if he wasn't already thinking of going to ground. The main force comes from the left side, but he falls forward, even slightly towards the left? How does that work?

It’s a very soft penalty if a penalty at all. It doesn’t get given at the other end that’s for sure. Just to demonstrate that a much clearer penalty, at the other end, wasn’t given about 20 minutes later.  I bet Stockley Park was on red alert to overturn it on the off chance it had been given anyway. 

Edited by DaveAV1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Liverpool having better footballers than us is why we lost the game

Is what it is

Well yeah, obviously. 

Would still expect us to give them more to worry about. 

That game was played in our half all game. Infuriating to watch. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Yep - I said in the match thread, Mings only tumbles because Salah's fouling him with his elbow and hips. Otherwise, he simply doesn't fall. Salah could easily stay up but doesn't.

If it happened in the middle of the park I'm certain Mings would have gotten a free kick.

Just now, Keyblade said:

If it happened in the middle of the park I'm certain Mings would have gotten a free kick.

That's my viewing of it too. Anywhere on the pitch it's a foul against the defender. Salah's ridiculous antics ensure it's a pen.

Â