Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/12/21 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't care who we play. 

I expect to see more than sitting back for 90 minutes.

West Ham went toe to toe with them a few weeks back and got a result. 

Gave them far too much respect imo. 

Perspective: West Ham have been top six all season and are top 4 at the moment, they are solid and have been for at least 12 months, and so far are the story of this season. 5 games ago we were a result away from being in the relegation zone, we lost 5 straight games including a total collapse at home to lose 3-2 having been 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go. We are a different team, still with injuries, and only 5 games into a totally new management regime. Surely only a blind person cannot see this is progress, and we are improving every game? FFS!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

You have to give our shape, set-up and doggedness some credit here: surely the results and statistics against teams played under Gerrard show we have closed them down and shut them out. Look at the xG and shots against, admittedly Liverpools will be the worst but a lot of those shots and on target we’re not really threatening today. I think we are doing ok, we are becoming harder to play against, under Smith teams we running through us easily.

1-0 is not a bad result against Liverpool and as I said we defended well. What we’ve seen so far under Gerrard is that we don’t have much possession for large spells of the game, and so when we got the ball today it’s disappointing seeing us turn to long balls up to Ollie every time. To come away from playing City and Liverpool in the space of a few weeks and seeing progress is great though. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why the hell didn't we start playing till they scored? Feels like we had 70 minutes of non stop defending for no reason. 

Should have tried to go toe to toe from the beginning. 

Ah well.  We've shown we can. 

Buendia and Sanson to start midweek please. They changed the game for me. 

I know some will claim Liverpool scored then sat back but not in a million years would they want to be just 1 nil up and have us swarming at them, no way at all. 

Did you see how many times they had 3 on 1 breaks just in that 10 minute spell alone? Probably why we didn't try to go toe to toe all game 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The back tumble greatly sold that penalty

giphy.gif

No seriously, what's the foul there? There's contact, but no way that makes him go to ground if he wasn't already thinking of going to ground. The main force comes from the left side, but he falls forward, even slightly towards the left? How does that work?

We were outplayed for most of the game, so cannot complain too much about the result.

If you want to win you have to try to win. We did not play like we played second half against City. I was a little disappointed by the performance, as I expected us to give it a real go, although that might well have resulted in a heavy defeat. It actually looked like we were playing for a draw, although I am sure that was not the intention.

Not to worry, it's early days and we have some games coming up that we will hope to win. Cannot expect too much in 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

We were outplayed for most of the game, so cannot complain too much about the result.

If you want to win you have to try to win. We did not play like we played second half against City. I was a little disappointed by the performance, as I expected us to give it a real go, although that might well have resulted in a heavy defeat. It actually looked like we were playing for a draw, although I am sure that was not the intention.

Not to worry, it's early days and we have some games coming up that we will hope to win. Cannot expect too much in 4 weeks. 

We set up to try not to lose. 

It's a frail and loser mentality. 

I agree. Expect much more. 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Did you see how many times they had 3 on 1 breaks just in that 10 minute spell alone? Probably why we didn't try to go toe to toe all game 

I don’t mind that we started the game with a defensive set up but we really should have changed it up sooner.

That second half was pretty ridiculous, wave after wave of attack vs defence.

All of us could see the goal was coming one way or the other, yet when we put Ings and Buendia on we actually gave them something to think about. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think Gerrard gave them too much respect really. Just tried to play containment for 90 mins. Let’s hope he makes more of a game if it at Villa park. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

No seriously, what's the foul there? There's contact, but no way that makes him go to ground if he wasn't already thinking of going to ground. The main force comes from the left side, but he falls forward, even slightly towards the left? How does that work?

Still trying to workout how Salah does his back tumble. I said in the match thread it was a 50/50 at best

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

1-0 is not a bad result against Liverpool and as I said we defended well. What we’ve seen so far under Gerrard is that we don’t have much possession for large spells of the game, and so when we got the ball today it’s disappointing seeing us turn to long balls up to Ollie every time. To come away from playing City and Liverpool in the space of a few weeks and seeing progress is great though. 

It's pointless trying to explain anything remotely sensible to him. He clearly knows nothing about football strategy or tactics. He just stamps his feet whenever we don't win

no matter who or how we play. I've been guilty of quoting him, but no more, it's just a waste of time. Everyone has a right to their own opinion of course but some are just not 

worth the time or effort to read. The overwhelming majority of posters understand Aston Villa. One in particular hasn't got a clue

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

giphy.gif

It's the delay between the contact and going down that is dodgy as **** here.

Fact that he chucks a gambol in at the end should raise a red flag he's trying to engineer something. 

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

giphy.gif

It's the delay between the contact and going down that is dodgy as **** here.

Fact that he chucks a gambol in at the end should raise a red flag he's trying to engineer something. 

Â