Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/12/21 at 23:59

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

How the hell have some put the managers performance as ‘very poor’?

That’s just bonkers

We seem to get the comedy votes every game, usually by the same people.

• Like 1

We won’t win every game of course, and you really don’t expect to take much away from Anfield, especially when they look like the Champions again. But again I don’t feel too deflated and can take much positivity from this: only one goal, some dodgy decisions against, but above all else we are now fighters and have a dogged spirit and we could have taken something from the game because of it.

There really isn’t too much between the contributions of McGinn, Ramsey, Nakamba, Buendia, Young, Luiz and Sanson, they are all trying very hard and doing very well, that’s a really good thing, and worth noting they are all improving as the season goes on. 

We missed some forward threat and quality in not having an inform Traore or Bailey, so maybe that’s an area to address?

I think this is now a solid competitive side, and one that’s improving. If we concentrate and double down on getting results against those teams that we should (and by that I mean anyone around us and below us), we won’t be far off improving on last seasons finish, and I couldn’t have imagined that 5 games ago. Like the Man City game, the opposition were very happy and relieved to hear the final whistle.

Happy enough that I am ruing some bad decisions in a close result than upset at shipping a hatful after a hiding.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Brilliant!  That's positive progress then!

Obviously talking about the game featuring his beloved Leeds that ended Chelsea 3 Leeds 2. 3 forward 2 back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Awful. 

3 steps forward 2 steps back. 

Negative tactics. Negative mindset. We're better than this. 

Voted Martinez motm which tells you all you need to know about the game. 

I get you're disappointed about the result, we all are... but we didnt play badly at all... Liverpool are just a better side than us...
The fact we held them to a 1-0 win which was decided by a penalty speaks volumes...

We have improved massively since Gerrard took over... The only losses have been to teams with squads boasting talents that dwarf ours in almost every position... And we havent been embarrassed by either of them...

Lets see how we do in the next few games...

Chin up and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Up the Villa!

• Like 2

Creditable defeat, in which we might have got more if the game wasn't bent double.

It's been a very poor day for officials and particularly those officials who watch the game on monitors. 

On the one hand, it's disappointing I guess that we can't moan as much as Wolves and Leeds, as their decisions were even more of a robbery than ours, and on the other hand, Leeds and Wolves got robbed ha.

I thought we worked hard, the shape works, we have personnel who seem to be fitting into it, I thought Sanson did well in more minutes and we were able to rotate a little, we changed it up at the end with two up top and we looked like a team that would compete with anyone. 

Decent performance; shame about the penalty.

On we go.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Absolutely this. 

This is the way Burnley would set up. I expect us to give it more of a go. 

You know all that stoppage time, kitchen sink stuff where we were pouring forward and were lucky not to concede a second?

If we'd taken anything like that approach earlier in the game it could have been over by half time. They are the best team in the league.

You may not think it correct to respect the opposition, but Gerrard did and I suspect he knows best.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DJ_Villain said:

I get you're disappointed about the result, we all are... but we didnt play badly at all... Liverpool are just a better side than us...
The fact we held them to a 1-0 win which was decided by a penalty speaks volumes...

We have improved massively since Gerrard took over... The only losses have been to teams with squads boasting talents that dwarf ours in almost every position... And we havent been embarrassed by either of them...

Lets see how we do in the next few games...

Chin up and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Up the Villa!

Yes we played badly. 

Rewatch the game

City game was miles better. This was a huge let down for me. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

Have only seen the two penalty decisions.

Theirs was soft but not surprised it was given.

Ours was the better shout but not surprised it wasn’t given… 

Sounds like we weren’t embarrassed again against a top team. Positive signs indeed. 

• Like 2

Â