Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/12/21 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

If Salah's a penalty, so is Ings. Utterly robbed today.

VVD lucky to stay on the pitch. You'd think he was in the NHL with tbose elbows.

Take nothing away from that performance against one of the best teams globally.

When Van Dyke pushes his elbow into the back of your head its good, smart defending. Don’t know what you’re talking about.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Well FWIW, I think theirs was a pen, I didn’t think ours was, I thought we played well against this season’s champions and I’m more hopeful than ever under Gerrard.

Onwards and upwards. 

Agree with all of this. Brace yourself for the quote notifications though :)

We should have had a penalty, theirs was given but the fact ours wasn’t indicates the bias we all know exists. The commentary was the worst I’ve heard, the may as well have been sat in the Kop such was the enthusiasm for the rocket polishers in red. 

We looked good when we finally started playing. I just wish we’d have done so before they scored. 

Could have been worse though I guess. At least I don’t have to waste my time watching MOTD now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Someone explain to me why Allison whiffing on the ball and hitting Ings isn’t considered a penalty? Or is this one of those where the refs are too dumb and Ings and the team didn’t sell it hard enough?

Better to keep Liverpool and City a point a part, runaway winner probably hurts the viewing figures. Also will be desperate for another possible “Aguero” moment. 

Getting so sick of bias on officiating, VAR should have eliminated it but it feels worse than ever.

• Like 1

Undone by a penalty that never was and denied one at the other end as the officials bottled it like they always do at these grounds.

But we played poor. Barely created much until the last 10-15 mins and even then didn't even make Allisson make one save. Defended well generally though.

Next two fixtures against Norwich and Burnley are games we should not only be winning but creating lots of chances in and I hope we do that.

You’re gonna need both a bit of luck, and fair treatment from the ref, to get anything from that. We arguably rode our luck a little bit before their goal, but the game is ultimately decided by them getting a pen and us not getting a pen from very similar situations. Which is predictable as hell, but still upsetting and grounds to be p*ssed off. 

Why the hell didn't we start playing till they scored? Feels like we had 70 minutes of non stop defending for no reason. 

Should have tried to go toe to toe from the beginning. 

Ah well.  We've shown we can. 

Buendia and Sanson to start midweek please. They changed the game for me. 

I know some will claim Liverpool scored then sat back but not in a million years would they want to be just 1 nil up and have us swarming at them, no way at all. 

• Like 2

To be honest neither Man City or Liverpool have embarrased us. We lost by one goal in each and today was not even a goal in open play. I had already written off City & plop so no great shock. They plus Chelsea are in a different league and we can beat any of the other teams in this division. Roll on Norwich!

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, a 1-0 defeat away to Liverpool isn’t horrific. I just want us to get to January so that Gerrard can fix the problem areas that I’m sure he has already identified.

3 wins from 5, with the only defeats coming against Man City and Liverpool plus referee, isn’t bad at all.

• Like 1

Just now, srsmithusa said:

i'm not really sure what to put on the referee rating.  It seems quite clear that average and poor are the same thing.... 

Which is why I once again call for a petition to add a Mike Dean option below the lowest rating for refereeing performance :D 

Mostly put this particular spectacle on VAR thou.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Andy Gray and Richard Key straight up saying if that had been at the other end, it would have been a penalty.

All in all, I know some might not agree, but we held our own and weren't disgraced IMO.

We can all say " Why didn't we start playing like that from the start " ? 

However, if we did, it possibly could have been over by half time.

I respect the gameplan, however, if I can have ANY sort of criticism, it might have been to start the attack like that earlier.

Gerrard is learning as he goes. Don't be surprised if the team which ended that match, starts our following games. ( Maybe minus Ings? )

Tbh - JJ was starting to isolate Thiago and did very well and Young did a veteran's performance today and got under their skin, unlucky not to get an assist when Alison fluffed it.

Sanson looks much sharper and so does Buendia.

Tactically I see why we saw such a difference but it bodes well for the future like you said.

• Like 2

Â