Jump to content

Ratings & Reactions: Liverpool v Villa


limpid
 Share

Match Polls  

175 members have voted

  1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

  2. 2. Manager's Performance

  3. 3. Refereeing Performance


This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/12/21 at 23:59

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

when you are 5 games in to a job and see a huge amount of work ahead.....its called the sensible option.

I'm not sure there loads of work to do, it's the same two teams that played last year and we stuck 7 past them (minus Jack). 

We lost narrowly and showed some real intent once we went behind , maybe if we had showed that intent from the off it would have been different, as we showed last season when they go behind they push forward and leave huge spaces at the back. 

However losing heavily in your first few  games as a new manager is always a big risk, we did the right thing, I think, but who knows.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, tinker said:

I'm not sure there loads of work to do, it's the same two teams that played last year and we stuck 7 past them (minus Jack)

We lost narrowly and showed some real intent once we went behind , maybe if we had showed that intent from the off it would have been different, as we showed last season when they go behind they push forward and leave huge spaces at the back. 

However losing heavily in your first few  games as a new manager is always a big risk, we did the right thing, I think, but who knows.  

I think you may be underestimating how significant those two little words in brackets are.

How well did the team perform last season (and this one pre-Gerrard) without Jack? I would say that we now have achieved some consistency we never found when jack was out injured or after he jumped ship.

The proposition that we should have scored 7 this season because we did last time is a bit, err, optimistic to say the least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I think you may be underestimating how significant those two little words in brackets are.

How well did the team perform last season (and this one pre-Gerrard) without Jack? I would say that we now have achieved some consistency we never found when jack was out injured or after he jumped ship.

The proposition that we should have scored 7 this season because we did last time is a bit, err, optimistic to say the least.

Two would have been enough 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Sarcasm mate.

I said we were defensive against Liverpool. I don't think you will find many to disagree.

(Just to clarify defensive doesn't mean you create zero chances all game - just not that many)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 minutes ago, hippo said:

I said we were defensive against Liverpool. I don't think you will find many to disagree.

(Just to clarify defensive doesn't mean you create zero chances all game - just not that many)

7 hours ago, hippo said:

I'm not unhappy about. I'm just not seeing the attacking prowess that are some are reporting.

Quite rightly his first priority was to tighten the defence. 

You said we didn't have any attacking prowess. I say we did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You are sounding like Steve Bruce here. 

Let's keep things tight and maybe we'll nick something. 

Would be a daylight robbery if we got something out of that game. 

Rest of the games I'm delighted with. Liverpool game not so much. 

Righhhhht, so we should have played open and expansive football against the best team in the world? Maybe we should ask Bielsa how that works out.

Also, you do realise that Gerrard stated that we didn't go there to "park the bus". The plan was to go and have a go. But Liverpool were so good we had to alter our plan and try to keep them out, which we did for nearly the whole game. What should we have done? Continued with the game plan and got absolutely hammered?

No offence, but you're talking out of your arse. Have a good day.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Okonokos said:

Righhhhht, so we should have played open and expansive football against the best team in the world? Maybe we should ask Bielsa how that works out.

Also, you do realise that Gerrard stated that we didn't go there to "park the bus". The plan was to go and have a go. But Liverpool were so good we had to alter our plan and try to keep them out, which we did for nearly the whole game. What should we have done? Continued with the game plan and got absolutely hammered?

No offence, but you're talking out of your arse. Have a good day.

No we shouldn't go Gung ho that's not what I am saying. 

But we should at the every least show some attacking intent. 

Seriously that game is one of the most infuriating games I've watched for a long time. 2 of my Liverpool pals boasting over their dominance during the game didn't exactly make things better for me either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No we shouldn't go Gung ho that's not what I am saying. 

But we should at the every least show some attacking intent. 

Seriously that game is one of the most infuriating games I've watched for a long time. 2 of my Liverpool pals boasting over their dominance during the game didn't exactly make things better for me either. 

We did. We tried to get forward whenever we could but Liverpool were just too good and able to keep us penned in. We're not on their level yet. Nowhere near it, in fact. They're a different class. I was happy we were able to keep them out for as long as we did and without their penalty, they may never have scored. A few weeks ago we conceded 3 in 10 minutes against one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and 4 at home to West Ham. I think we should just be happy how we defended against, in my opinion the best team in the world.

Edited by Okonokos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

We did. We tried to get forward whenever we could but Liverpool were just too good and able to keep us penned in. We're not on their level yet. Nowhere near it, in fact. They're a different class. I was happy we were able to keep them out for as long as we did and without their penalty, they may never have scored. A few weeks ago we conceded 3 in 10 minutes against one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and 4 at home to West Ham. I think we should just be happy how we defended against, in my opinion the best team in the world.

No we didn't. 

We hoofed it away whenever we won the ball back and stayed in a low block. 

For the record the Liverpool game is the only game I am unhappy about. I thought the city game was great. We actually showed guts and managed to push them back, taking the game to them. 

We didn't show that attacking intent against Liverpool. No shots on target, and a ridiculous 70 % pass accuracy. 

Overall I'm totally on board with Gerrard but will criticize like I will with any manager when I feel we play poorly. 

Edited by villalad21
Link to comment
Share on other sites


45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No we didn't. 

We hoofed it away whenever we won the ball back and stayed in a low block. 

For the record the Liverpool game is the only game I am unhappy about. I thought the city game was great. We actually showed guts and managed to push them back, taking the game to them. 

We didn't show that attacking intent against Liverpool. No shots on target, and a ridiculous 70 % pass accuracy. 

Overall I'm totally on board with Gerrard but will criticize like I will with any manager when I feel we play poorly. 

This can’t be denied. There was a play in the first half Emi collected the ball, and on a chance to make a counter threw it out to Cash and rather than make a run down the line he turned, passed back to konsa and he hoofed it down the line first time. I was in disbelief. My reaction after the game was that we were flat for 65 mins and after a few subs tried to play football again, that was pretty much confirmed as the game plan by Gerrard after. I now understand the reasoning behind it and think it was a Salah pen away from working out very well. But we weren’t trying to play attacking football for a good 60 minutes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
Â