Cool YouTube Channels

maqroll

Restoration - My Mechanics https://www.youtube.com/c/mymechanics
New tech - MKBHD https://www.youtube.com/c/mkbhd
Old tech - LGR https://www.youtube.com/c/Lazygamereviews
Old tech - The 8-Bit Guy https://www.youtube.com/c/The8BitGuy
Old tech - RMC - The Cave https://www.youtube.com/c/RMCRetro
Old tech -  Adrian's Digital Basement https://www.youtube.com/c/adriansdigitalbasement
Current space events -  Scott Manley https://www.youtube.com/c/szyzyg
Repairs of consoles -  TronicsFix https://www.youtube.com/c/Tronicsfix

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hogso said:

I looked for an appropriate thread to post the following; documentary thread didn't seem appropriate, the funny youtube thread didn't seem appropriate, so this one will do the job. Thanks @maqroll

Anyone else watch Geowizard?

He's fairly well known for being a Geoguessr youtuber, his knowledge is great, although I must say I find watching Geoguessr content really quite boring (although his IRL Geoguessr videos are fun). As popular as he is for that alone, he fortunately does something far more interesting on his channel - 'Straight Line Missions'. 

His channel really took off a couple of years ago when he uploaded his first public attempt, which was to cross Wales in a straight line. I found it via a recommended video, and the idea of someone trying to cross a country in an entirely straight line sounded so crazy, I felt compelled to watch it. Since that initial upload his channel has gained a lot of traction, he's done further 'missions'' in Scotland, Norway, and England, plus some really good travel vlogs. I look forward to the next instalments as much as I would a favourite TV show now.

I've actually meant to see if there are any other fans on here in the past, as he seems a thoroughly decent chap, and he doesn't pander to his audience, he does what he does because he is, well, more or less obsessed with the idea of crossing a country (with Wales becoming something of a nemesis of his) in a completely straight line . For those curious enough to take a look who haven't before, you're probably already thinking that crossing a country in a straight line is impossible. Well, yeah, it probably is, so over the last couple of years he's arrived at a definition of what a straight line for the purposes of his 'missions' is - there are varying grades from platinum to bronze which represent a successful mission, with small deviations of I think 10 metres being platinum, 25 metres for gold, and so on. 

Anyway. The reason I wanted to mention his channel now is that he's currently uploaded his latest Wales mission. He's had visits from the British Transport Police in the past because he's crossed high speed rail lines, and has had to pull, re-edit, and re-upload videos where he's broken the law, and with some of his videos being viewed millions of times, they'd be right to be worried about copycats. He generally is very respectful to the land he's traversing, but there's always been the omen of the 'angry farmer' who would eject him from their land. He's had plenty of encounters in the past with them, has been kicked off land, has explained what he's doing and they've said, whatever, crack on...but to say his latest video has caused some controversy amongst his subscribers would be an understatement. 

If any of that has even slightly piqued your interest, I'd suggest you start off at the very beginning with the below, and see what you think. You'll soon decide whether you want to stick with it, or not.

Came here to post this! Love it and waiting patiently for the next episode.

Edited by AndyClarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyClarke said:

Came here to post this! Love it and waiting patiently for the next episode.

I was so glad he handled the angry farmer the way he did in that latest episode. I appreciate the hypocrisy given what he's said about such confrontations in the past, but I want to see him do it! His editing of the videos is great now too, I couldn't even really follow exactly what was going on in the teaser for the next episode, but it was ominous, and that means it's going to be good viewing!

I'm also a fan of Beard Meats Food, and although the content is completely different, I like him for similar reasons to Geowizard - he just loves doing what he does, and doesn't pander to his audience. One of my girlfriends mates met him as she works at a chippy in Tamworth where he's done a challenge (or two?), can't remember the name of the place, I'm sure anyone more local to Tamworth than I probably know which one it is (the girly swears by The Dugout in Two Gates).

Since I've been WFM I've been more in to Youtube than ever before. I'll mention a couple more 'famous' ones I enjoy before I delve in to what I would deem to be the proper lifeblood of the platform in a future post.

I never miss an upload from Tom Scott or Colin Furze. 

5 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Crime and Interrogation analysis:

JCS

The algorithm led me to watching the video 'what pretending to be crazy looks like'. Very interesting. Thought I'd watch some more which led me to The Case of Chris Watts. That was enough Criminal Psychology for me. 

Forgot on my list another one I like - food wars where an English guy and an American compare different fast food chains for portion sizes, cost, calories, exclusives etc usually America seems better but also desperately trying to kill you 

They've recently added the world's happiest Japanese man to it 

Not a channel but an adventure/endurance video of a group of chaps in 1959 that decided to drive from London to South Africa and back 25000 miles in a surplus army truck. They put aside around 300£ for the journey and set out. It's told by a descendant of one of the chaps using diaries and  actual photographs from the journey to tell the story, it's a fantastic watch for anyone into that sort of thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Milfner said:

The premise of this is really good, and takes you to some places that you're surprised even exist. The guy however is a sex tourist and a real piece of shit. 

Yea arrogant as well, plus he took a dig at Birmingham in one of his latest vlogs, stopped following him at that point.

Not sure if anyone has posted Colin Furze, this guy's seriously talented.

Well, @chrisp65reminded me of the Belgian enclave in the Netherlands in a village Baarle in the virus thread and that led me down a rabbit hole of watching Tim The Traveller's videos, starting off with some related odd borders in Europe but his channel is really good for lots of other stuff too.

His latest video is even a reason for @BOF to visit France

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went there after watching this video, was pretty cool, there's a big healthcare centre place in the middle of it where if you have various ailments (which the wife makes sound very blaggable, including new baby blues etc) they'll send you here for a few free weeks to relax and get better 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2022 at 16:45, hogso said:

I was so glad he handled the angry farmer the way he did in that latest episode. I appreciate the hypocrisy given what he's said about such confrontations in the past, but I want to see him do it! His editing of the videos is great now too, I couldn't even really follow exactly what was going on in the teaser for the next episode, but it was ominous, and that means it's going to be good viewing!

I'm also a fan of Beard Meats Food, and although the content is completely different, I like him for similar reasons to Geowizard - he just loves doing what he does, and doesn't pander to his audience. One of my girlfriends mates met him as she works at a chippy in Tamworth where he's done a challenge (or two?), can't remember the name of the place, I'm sure anyone more local to Tamworth than I probably know which one it is (the girly swears by The Dugout in Two Gates).

Since I've been WFM I've been more in to Youtube than ever before. I'll mention a couple more 'famous' ones I enjoy before I delve in to what I would deem to be the proper lifeblood of the platform in a future post.

I never miss an upload from Tom Scott or Colin Furze. 

Have you seen the one by his 'rival', well the one who inspired/forced this mission?

Edited by AndyClarke

On 04/01/2022 at 11:36, AVFCDAN said:

Crime and Interrogation analysis:

JCS

Matt Orchard

JCS has quit YouTube now. Bummer. 

On 15/01/2022 at 16:32, AndyClarke said:

Have you seen the one by his 'rival', well the one who inspired/forced this mission?

I've watched a ton of various people doing straight line missions (one of my faves being a young guy in Delaware who took inspiration from a Geowizard comment about not being able to do it in America cos you'd get shot), but yeah I think I saw the one you mean. 

He started out in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and generally made it seem like an awful idea (which it probably was!)? 

Another shout to beard who seems as genuine as they come 

I like music is win - shortish (10 mins or so) guitar videos based around a theme - top 10 riffs etc 

undisputed - not sure if this should be included as it’s just an easy way to watch what is a daily show in the US but I like the NBA stuff 

summoning salt - think I might have found this in the documentaries thread on here at some point but this is very well put together look at speed running records in games - doesn’t post very often but I’d recommend having a look at what’s already up 

KEXP - radio station in US who post live sessions with interviews and the quality always seems to be good and rewarding to listen to people I’ve never heard of before 

4 hours ago, hogso said:

He started out in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and generally made it seem like an awful idea (which it probably was!)? 

Yeah, he basically mentally and physically broke down in a matter of hours. It does highlight how good Tom's content is though!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hogso said:

Straight line mission of Warwickshire when @AndyClarke

I love Tom’s straight line missions.

I always watch them thinking I could probably do it, but as he points out in that video, I’d be crying in the tent. I’d probably even hesitate going through bramble. And I’d be hangry.

My favourite channel at the moment is Adventures with Purpose - they are a US crew that go out with sonar equipped boats and search for missing persons in the many rivers and lakes of the US

That Chapter - True Crime docs, really well presented by Mike O, if you are into that kind of thing.
Similarly, Mr Ballen - True stories that really give you the chills. Especially the ones about tight spaces / caving and worst ways to die lol...

Doug DeMuro - Car reviews.

Ethan Chlebowski - Cooking Videos - easy 30 min meals etc.
Can't forget Chef John at Food Wishes - best recipes around for most things, along with Sam the Cooking Guy

For Guitarists - Mr Tabs and Paul Davids are good choices (the latter for more advanced stuff).
Musical Analysis - Why this song is good etc Rick Beato

General Easy Viewing - Tom Scott

Cars: Jafromobile, Retropowercars, Schrodingers Box, Harry's Garage, Badgertronix, High Peak Autos, Hubnut

Bikes: 44Teeth, Allen Millyard, The Workshop

Canals: Cruisingthecut

Off-grid living and DIY: Martijn Doolaard, Advoko Makes, Maximus Ironthumper

Electronics and tech: EEVblog, and Fran Blanche

Old hi-fi kit: Techmoan

Farming: Harry's Farm, Tom Pemberton Farm Life

Bizarre general amusement: TheReportOfTheWeek (reviewbrah)

• Like 1

Â