Cool YouTube Channels

maqroll

• 1 month later...

I looked for an appropriate thread to post the following; documentary thread didn't seem appropriate, the funny youtube thread didn't seem appropriate, so this one will do the job. Thanks @maqroll

Anyone else watch Geowizard?

He's fairly well known for being a Geoguessr youtuber, his knowledge is great, although I must say I find watching Geoguessr content really quite boring (although his IRL Geoguessr videos are fun). As popular as he is for that alone, he fortunately does something far more interesting on his channel - 'Straight Line Missions'. 

His channel really took off a couple of years ago when he uploaded his first public attempt, which was to cross Wales in a straight line. I found it via a recommended video, and the idea of someone trying to cross a country in an entirely straight line sounded so crazy, I felt compelled to watch it. Since that initial upload his channel has gained a lot of traction, he's done further 'missions'' in Scotland, Norway, and England, plus some really good travel vlogs. I look forward to the next instalments as much as I would a favourite TV show now.

I've actually meant to see if there are any other fans on here in the past, as he seems a thoroughly decent chap, and he doesn't pander to his audience, he does what he does because he is, well, more or less obsessed with the idea of crossing a country (with Wales becoming something of a nemesis of his) in a completely straight line . For those curious enough to take a look who haven't before, you're probably already thinking that crossing a country in a straight line is impossible. Well, yeah, it probably is, so over the last couple of years he's arrived at a definition of what a straight line for the purposes of his 'missions' is - there are varying grades from platinum to bronze which represent a successful mission, with small deviations of I think 10 metres being platinum, 25 metres for gold, and so on. 

Anyway. The reason I wanted to mention his channel now is that he's currently uploaded his latest Wales mission. He's had visits from the British Transport Police in the past because he's crossed high speed rail lines, and has had to pull, re-edit, and re-upload videos where he's broken the law, and with some of his videos being viewed millions of times, they'd be right to be worried about copycats. He generally is very respectful to the land he's traversing, but there's always been the omen of the 'angry farmer' who would eject him from their land. He's had plenty of encounters in the past with them, has been kicked off land, has explained what he's doing and they've said, whatever, crack on...but to say his latest video has caused some controversy amongst his subscribers would be an understatement. 

If any of that has even slightly piqued your interest, I'd suggest you start off at the very beginning with the below, and see what you think. You'll soon decide whether you want to stick with it, or not.

• Like 3

Jay Foreman - YouTube - Amusing and informative 'Map Men' series.

abroad in japan - YouTube - Long running English guy in Japan series

korean englishman - YouTube - Long running English guy in Korea series although he's been pretty much exclusively in the UK since Covid

real life lore - YouTube - Short, punchy educational videos

The Infographics Show - YouTube - As above

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://youtube.com/channel/UCbKrxZRhT99S7QKnqVYMdPA Drew Simms, 4x4 wilderness explorer/blogger, some amazing scenery.

https://youtube.com/c/OliverHarper Oliver Harper film reviews and older movie retrospectives.

https://youtube.com/c/TyrrellsClassicWorkshop Iain Tyrell workshop for classic exotica, some amazing cars and stories.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCFKhiOS8Jf9aTZcU5rA6zFA Jack Benny, doubt many would have heard of or be interested in Jack, but I love this channel, just old reruns of Jack's show that ran for years after he transitioned from radio to TV.

Edited by Phil Silvers

Travel:

Harald Baldr - Worldwide vlogging

Indigo Traveller - Worldwide Vlogging

Noel Phillips - Plane and Train travel mainly

Paul Lucas - - Plane and Train travel mainly

Food:

Rate my takeaway - Self explanatory really

Crime and Interrogation analysis:

JCS

Matt Orchard

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Travel:

Harald Baldr - Worldwide vlogging

Indigo Traveller - Worldwide Vlogging

Noel Phillips - Plane and Train travel mainly

Paul Lucas - - Plane and Train travel mainly

Food:

Crime and Interrogation analysis:

JCS

Matt Orchard

I got addicted to this in lockdown but it became too samey, haven't watched it for a while. Hoping he does some more in the Midlands/Brum areas.

• Like 1

Travel, mainly Vegas and slot channels. 

Matt Bridger

Nicky Furmage

Begas Vaby

Comedy I am subscribed to Michael Spicer.

I also like UK dash cameras. 

Them aside I dip in and out of slot and poker channels, various travel channels and restoration channels. 

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I got addicted to this in lockdown but it became too samey, haven't watched it for a while. Hoping he does some more in the Midlands/Brum areas.

I see where you are coming from, i don't think there is any issue with the format I think he just puts out too many videos, scale back to 3 a week and it starts to feel fresh again. Agreed would be great to see more in the Brum area.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Oh, forgot this one:

bald and bankrupt - YouTube -  British guy that travels around the old Eastern bloc with a particular love of spotting Soviet mosaics.

The premise of this is really good, and takes you to some places that you're surprised even exist. The guy however is a sex tourist and a real piece of shit. 

• Like 2

Loads for me, I watch more YT than TV these days, it’s the best channel ever (apart from ads and weird business stuff). Some of my favourites by category are:

Narrowboats: The Narrowboat that James Built, Cruising the Cut, Foxes Afloat

Gaming: Gaming off the Grid, Wulff Den, Digital Foundry, HappyConsoleGamer, Kevin Kenson, Metal Jesus Rocks, Retro Rick, Scott the Woz, Switch Up, Triple Jump

Japan: Abroad in Japan, Only in Japan, TabiEats, Life Where I’m From

Tech: Marques Brownlee (MKBHD), Pocketnow, MrMobile (Michael Fischer)

Random:

Steve Wallis - Canadian Urban stealth camper and one of the nicest people on the planet.

BrutalMoose - Games, cheap food, cooking, TV stuff, hard to define him but I do like him. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

i like danny he's a nice guy but im down to selected videos now, partly because its crazy how many videos they actually do but also because too much of what he has just seems to be very good, heard him on a podcast say its because the places they go to are from viewer recommendations and its not a case of try this shit hole you'll hate it, people are recommending their favourite places so they will be good, heard him on a podcast recently with beard meats food and he talked about being a magician before the channel so thats worth a listen

on that...i watch beard meats food do eating challenges, he's probably the one where i know what days and times his videos are coming and follow his social media

other than that its B1M which is mega construction projects, corridor crew which is a kind of movie channel showing how they do special effects and stunts, thenx when im in the mood to get ripped...

fallen by the wayside include randy santel, abroad in japan, used to watch a lot of cooking stuff such as tasty, food wishes, delish, twisted, get curried, the old version of whatever the try channel was, hot ones, fail army, the needledrop, epic meal time

recently saw some videos by a guy telling the story of the big channels that have dropped off, epic meal time and FPSrussia were interesting

• Like 1

The two I subscribe to are:

Shut Up and Sit Down: these are former video game journalists who are now the biggest board game review channel on YT. I watch them because they’re hilarious, better than most comedy on TV these days imo. 

RedLetterMedia, who do longform film reviews that I find quite a good watch. I don’t always agree with what they say (I don’t actually even watch that many films) but I find it interesting.

The weird thing for me with YouTube is I often end up watching videos about things I don’t actually do or particularly care about, and I still often find them interesting because the channels themselves are often really polished and well put together.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

recently saw some videos by a guy telling the story of the big channels that have dropped off, epic meal time and FPSrussia were interesting

Weirdly, I literally watched those about two hours ago! The FPSrussia one was really interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i like danny he's a nice guy but im down to selected videos now, partly because its crazy how many videos they actually do but also because too much of what he has just seems to be very good, heard him on a podcast say its because the places they go to are from viewer recommendations and its not a case of try this shit hole you'll hate it, people are recommending their favourite places so they will be good, heard him on a podcast recently with beard meats food and he talked about being a magician before the channel so thats worth a listen

on that...i watch beard meats food do eating challenges, he's probably the one where i know what days and times his videos are coming and follow his social media

other than that its B1M which is mega construction projects, corridor crew which is a kind of movie channel showing how they do special effects and stunts, thenx when im in the mood to get ripped...

fallen by the wayside include randy santel, abroad in japan, used to watch a lot of cooking stuff such as tasty, food wishes, delish, twisted, get curried, the old version of whatever the try channel was, hot ones, fail army, the needledrop, epic meal time

Big up for Beard meets food, really nice bloke also, love his grin when he asks for the desert menu after a big challenge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah maybe that's some progression for his channel to start being more honest with the reviews. I appreciate he's trying to help local businesses but some actual honesty wouldn't go amiss, you can tell he sometimes doesn't like what he's eating even though he wont say it.

Yeah i will also second Beardmeetsfood, he's good at what he does. Leah Shutkever is also pretty good and from the Birmingham area i believe. 

Bad Obsession Motorsport - project Binky https://www.youtube.com/c/BadObsessionMotorsport

Black opal direct - Opal lapidary https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyI1sOuycp03XMMwiTNSqQg

Tysytube restoration - restoring old stuff https://www.youtube.com/c/TysyTube

Holy Trinity Show - Excellent Villa match analysis https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj3ertYy-4-utpk8sINfelQ

And for something a little different:

Shoe shining in Mexico https://www.youtube.com/c/ASMRshoeshineFaustoArizmendi

Cow's hoof triming https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHoofGP

• Like 1

Â