Cool YouTube Channels

maqroll

On 23/03/2022 at 16:12, hogso said:

This is one of the latest videos from SV Delos, a family of three (with occasional extra crew mates) sailing around the world. 

The boat was originally Brian and his brothers, and they've been sailing for over 10 years now. A couple of years ago, Bryan and Kazza had a baby, who they are now raising on the boat. 

That in itself is fascinating, I enjoy seeing the places they go, but they also do occasional videos on ship maintenance which is interesting too. 

A very easy watch once a week. 

The early stuff is a bit wild , they had a girl from Leicester on there, Lisa...... I think , visiting small villages and participating in there local drug hooch. 

57 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've stumbled across 'Professor Dave Explains' - Amazing. I've just watched hours of him ripping Flat Earthers to shreds

thanks for that. funny stuff

"stop being a dick"

"no you stop being a dick"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I've stumbled across 'Professor Dave Explains' - Amazing. I've just watched hours of him ripping Flat Earthers to shreds

cheers for this, its hilarious, I kind of wish that I was a flat earther, it would be good fun to be so absolutely clueless about everything 

This video deserves to actually be in the thread so here it is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 04/01/2022 at 11:10, hogso said:

I looked for an appropriate thread to post the following; documentary thread didn't seem appropriate, the funny youtube thread didn't seem appropriate, so this one will do the job. Thanks @maqroll

Anyone else watch Geowizard?

He's fairly well known for being a Geoguessr youtuber, his knowledge is great, although I must say I find watching Geoguessr content really quite boring (although his IRL Geoguessr videos are fun). As popular as he is for that alone, he fortunately does something far more interesting on his channel - 'Straight Line Missions'. 

His channel really took off a couple of years ago when he uploaded his first public attempt, which was to cross Wales in a straight line. I found it via a recommended video, and the idea of someone trying to cross a country in an entirely straight line sounded so crazy, I felt compelled to watch it. Since that initial upload his channel has gained a lot of traction, he's done further 'missions'' in Scotland, Norway, and England, plus some really good travel vlogs. I look forward to the next instalments as much as I would a favourite TV show now.

I've actually meant to see if there are any other fans on here in the past, as he seems a thoroughly decent chap, and he doesn't pander to his audience, he does what he does because he is, well, more or less obsessed with the idea of crossing a country (with Wales becoming something of a nemesis of his) in a completely straight line . For those curious enough to take a look who haven't before, you're probably already thinking that crossing a country in a straight line is impossible. Well, yeah, it probably is, so over the last couple of years he's arrived at a definition of what a straight line for the purposes of his 'missions' is - there are varying grades from platinum to bronze which represent a successful mission, with small deviations of I think 10 metres being platinum, 25 metres for gold, and so on. 

Anyway. The reason I wanted to mention his channel now is that he's currently uploaded his latest Wales mission. He's had visits from the British Transport Police in the past because he's crossed high speed rail lines, and has had to pull, re-edit, and re-upload videos where he's broken the law, and with some of his videos being viewed millions of times, they'd be right to be worried about copycats. He generally is very respectful to the land he's traversing, but there's always been the omen of the 'angry farmer' who would eject him from their land. He's had plenty of encounters in the past with them, has been kicked off land, has explained what he's doing and they've said, whatever, crack on...but to say his latest video has caused some controversy amongst his subscribers would be an understatement. 

If any of that has even slightly piqued your interest, I'd suggest you start off at the very beginning with the below, and see what you think. You'll soon decide whether you want to stick with it, or not.

I've started it out of curiosity. I'm 3 episodes in so I guess I'm past the point where you'd stop now.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've started it out of curiosity. I'm 3 episodes in so I guess I'm past the point where you'd stop now.

Glad you're enjoying it, don't skip some of his more generic 'travel vlogs', there's a really good one he did called how not to travel Europe (I think)

On 29/04/2022 at 11:22, tomav84 said:

"me calling you stupid has nowhere near the magnitude of douchebaggery that is your entire identity"

i love this guy

I think I've watched his whole channel now.

On 24/04/2022 at 07:27, hogso said:

Geowizard has started a series where he attempts to travel 10 miles from Walsall to Wolverhampton, without walking on any roads. 

It's kind of a love letter to the black country, and probably a bit more interesting of you happen to know the area. Or, if like me, you're just a fan. 

Love this guy. All his videos are fantastic and definitely inspired me to get out more and take more of an interest in local history and geography.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

He once mentioned that a lot of his mates are Villa fans, but I don't think he follows the football himself. Had to check that he wasn't a Bluenose lol.

I mentioned earlier that if I ever join his Patreon, I'll ask him. Not that I don't think the question has been asked before, but just cos I don't know the answer! 

He's made plenty of references to football in his various videos, I wonder if he's a baggie or a dingle. 

2 hours ago, hogso said:

I mentioned earlier that if I ever join his Patreon, I'll ask him. Not that I don't think the question has been asked before, but just cos I don't know the answer! 

He's made plenty of references to football in his various videos, I wonder if he's a baggie or a dingle. 

He grew up in Aldridge, so maybe Walsall, if anyone? Definitely knows his satellite views of football stadiums, that's for sure lmao.

YouTube provides (1 minute mark). From 2018, during our second season in the Championship.

"I don't support any team, by the way, for those of you who keep asking me that. All my mates are Aston Villa, I'm from that area, but, yeah, for their sins they're going down the pan, I know. But I put all my energy into England."

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I love that channel. The genuine joy Pierogi gets from doing good, I find does the soul good.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2022 at 14:27, Dante_Lockhart said:

Those are open nets. Sounds funny though ngl.

• Like 1

A list of the best channels I look out for. There are others but these are the best of them.

Interesting story tellers/analysis
-----------------
Thoughty2
MrBallen
Joe Scott
vlogbrothers
TopTenz
WhatCulture
Maritime Horrors

Science-y type stuff
--------------------
SciShow
PBS Eons
SciShow Space
Ben G Thomas
Tier Zoo
The Slo Mo Guys

Film
----
Collative Learning
FilmJoy
Nerdwriter1
Every Frame A Painting

F1
--
Driver61
Josh Revell
THE RACE

MISC
----
Cracking The Cryptic - Solving insanely difficult (usually sudoku) puzzles. Much better than it sounds.
Scammer Payback

Â