Michael Beale

maqroll

I think we will be fine.  There was a fundamental flaw in the nipple system that was glaringly obvious for weeks and wasn't being rectified.  It worked at Rangers where they had more talented and physically stronger players than the rest of the league, which is probably semi-professional standard tbh.  The wing backs could provide all the width if they aren't having to defend much.  At PL level it was too easy for teams to rip apart with the CDM completely exposed as the other midfielders filled in for the wing backs.  I think we seriously need a top coach who can mix things up and use the modern 4-3-3 effectively and allow Gerrard to deal with recruitment and man management.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Actually, surely there is no better time? 

Change brings opportunity and as you suggest the timing couldn't be better. Gerrard had the bedding in period with Beale which helped Gerrard and now it is time for him to prove himself and bring in the right man and take our wonderful club forward and into the top half and pushing for Europe. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo: you not I*
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed but it's not ideal to have a key coaching member leave before their first pre season opportunity. 

Ultimately do you think Gerrard would prefer him here? For me that's an easy yes and that's why it's a disappointment 

I'd rather an assistant coach leave a week after the final game than pull a Terry or ROK. 

I agree it's not ideal, but every manager has to roll with these punches. It'll be another test for Gerrard. 

The QPR job seems to be one that comes up quite regualrly, i think they have a reasonable team there that could be improved by a good coach, however they will need to be challenging for promotion and play offs for the bulk of the season if he is to avoid the sack. wonder who we will get in.

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Actually, surely there is no better time? 

I don't agree. Gerrard said how it's difficult to get across new ideas and tactics during the season. This first pre season provides the first opportunity for us to become a Gerrard side and by all accounts Beale has played a major role in this at rangers. 

If they'd both been here a season or two, I'd agree on the timings but not as it's the first one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I don't agree. Gerrard said how it's difficult to get across new ideas and tactics during the season. This first pre season provides the first opportunity for us to become a Gerrard side and by all accounts Beale has played a major role in this at rangers. 

If they'd both been here a season or two, I'd agree on the timings but not as it's the first one. 

This.

A week after this coming season finishes would be a hell of a lot better, while this is perhaps not the worst timing it is far from ideal .

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think we seriously need a top coach who can mix things up and use the modern 4-3-3 effectively and allow Gerrard to deal with recruitment and man management.

That sounds like a good idea, but I doubt it will happen. Surely Gerrard will want to be the main man. And how many top coaches are willing to do a job like that without getting the credit?

58 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Ty Bracey has just posted about Xabi Alonso. He's normally quite well connected at VP I think.

I get the impression he likes people to think this. Maybe gets a few titbits due to having a large following on social media and I think maybe a link with Luke Roper (?) every now and again but hasn’t struck me as massively ITK when I’ve heard him on the Villa View. He’s on here anyway so please feel free to correct me Ty if I’m wrong!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely it's better he leaves now, when we've time to hire a new coach before pre-season than either well into pre-season, halfway through a season, or after a couple of seasons when it's more difficult to unpick the threads that have been sewn? It'll be almost as if he were never here at all. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Surely it's better he leaves now, when we've time to hire a new coach before pre-season than either well into pre-season, halfway through a season, or after a couple of seasons when it's more difficult to unpick the threads that have been sewn? It'll be almost as if he were never here at all. 

Well guess it depends on how crucial he was going to be in Gerrard implementing his plan. Id rather that be put in place then look for someone to carry that work on, than have the first opportunity for it to be implemented disrupted and someone new having to play a part. 

Gerrard may have been very reliant on Beale at the very start of his managerial career, but how long have they been working together? 5 years? In daily contact I'd imagine. Surely Gerrard would have picked up the bulk of things by now.

Having a new coach/assistant like Alonso might be a good thing. New ideas to think about. 

Plus Alonso is part of the old Liverpool boys network. Purslow's plan is coming to fruition ;) 

6 minutes ago, chappy said:

I get the impression he likes people to think this. Maybe gets a few titbits due to having a large following on social media and I think maybe a link with Luke Roper (?) every now and again but hasn’t struck me as massively ITK when I’ve heard him on the Villa View. He’s on here anyway so please feel free to correct me Ty if I’m wrong!

This all day. When has he ever proved to be an ITK? He just speaks about common theories and rumours out there.

30 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Change brings opportunity and as you suggest the timing couldn't be better. Gerrard had the bedding in period with Beale which helped Gerrard and now it is time for him to prove himself and bring in the right man and take our wonderful club forward and into the top half and pushing for Europe. 

Surely Gerrard thought Beale was that man, considering how much he's talked him up in the past. I don't think he brought him along to Villa just to help him bed in.

McCallister and I think maybe Tom Culshaw have been working with Gerrard and Beale since Rangers. So I'm sure it's not even a major issue if no one else comes in. McCallister in a more than capable coach and Iv'e heard the players love working with him too.

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Better now than just before or during the season sure, but I doubt anyone is questioning that.

The point being made is its not ideal he's leaving irrespective of timing given his supposed influence on the set up and possible negative impact on any progress made in the last six months including any prep for this summer's business based around said set up, if him leaving means that all changes or the set up remains but is less effective without his coaching.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Surely Gerrard thought Beale was that man, considering how much he's talked him up in the past. I don't think he brought him along to Villa just to help him bed in.

Nor do I, he clearly brought him in to be Asst Head Coach. But my comment says Change brings Opportunity, and I commented that as Beale has been with Gerrard at Villa for about 7 months or so it has helped Gerrard bed in to a new job. It was a big step up for Gerrard to manage such a big club in the PL and it will have helped that he had a close and trusted colleague at his side. But now that it looks like Beale is going it is an opportunity to improve on Beale. This is what Gerrard and Purslow and Lange must strive to do. 

• Like 1

Stolen from FB;

So the exact quote from Gerrard's book:

"It's still quite fun to fantasise a little. If totally hypothetically I was gonna become Liverpool manager one day, I know who I would love to have as my assistant, Xabi Alonso."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think I actually agree with him there to be fair. Keane, Vieira, Makalele, Kante. They're the elite IMO. Gerrard was a level below them. There's a reason Barcelona came in for Mascherano, and Real came in for Alonso out of that 08/09 Liverpool team.

That's fine and subject to opinion.

But Google pretty much ANY list of " The best midfielders of all time " and then get back to me mate.

• Like 3

Â