Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

10 hours ago, Anything11 said:

I can certainly see what you are saying but I don't entirely agree. I think we have become so used to managers being tactical geniuses that we have devalued the other parts of the job.

By all accounts Gerrard knows his weaknesses and rightly hires the appropriate help. However, he still seems very engaged and involved on a day to day basis. Maybe Ferguson is a good shout actually but I don't think the director of football tag fits. They are managers in the truest sense of the word.

Either way I find it quite encouraging that the structure and plan seems quite obvious - something we have been missing for a long time. Really ties the club together from top to bottom.

I’m still very much on the fence with Gerrard in regards to on the pitch.  He’s brilliant at interviews and media work and is crucial for recruitment.  If he translates that onto the pitch, which he currently isn’t quite doing, then I will be delighted.

In terms of training and coaching, I couldn’t care less if he did all the training or sat in his office watching his elite coaches do all the training.  If he finds what works is I all care about as both hands on management and hands off management can work.  Obviously, it’s generally somewhere in between is the optimum point but it’s finding that optimum with the staff you have based on their skill set and competencies, and your own. 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I’m still very much on the fence with Gerrard in regards to on the pitch.  He’s brilliant at interviews and media work and is crucial for recruitment.  If he translates that onto the pitch, which he currently isn’t quite doing, then I will be delighted.

In terms of training and coaching, I couldn’t care less if he did all the training or sat in his office watching his elite coaches do all the training.  If he finds what works is I all care about as both hands on management and hands off management can work.  Obviously, it’s generally somewhere in between is the optimum point but it’s finding that optimum with the staff you have based on their skill set and competencies, and your own. 

Its kinda natural to be where you are Nick.....last season was Pants, but for me, I wasn't surprised with the balance of the squad....This team has to change its mentality and I think it will, when we have finished recruiting and bedding down pre season work.

With situations like that, it takes time to change and liquid funds to boot.

We are still in WIP and this summer will determine, whether folk like me was right, in our perceptions of what he will do....or wrong.

Any of us could be wrong....but I believe in his Character/Psychology and I believe he will deliver for us.

Folk talk of evidence, there is none yet......but that is the task ahead, to create some.

Just a thought, and a bit out of left field. But with the world cup in November. If Southgate makes a pigs ear of it. Could Gerrard be a candidate for the England job ?

Not many British candidates I can think of.

Graham Potter is the top English manager this season but I suppose it depends on how they start next season.

3 minutes ago, VillaLion63 said:

Just a thought, and a bit out of left field. But with the world cup in November. If Southgate makes a pigs ear of it. Could Gerrard be a candidate for the England job ?

Not many British candidates I can think of.

Graham Potter is the top English manager this season but I suppose it depends on how they start next season.

Maybe if he fails at Villa and is looking for work. 

On 04/06/2022 at 12:28, Anything11 said:

It is being vastly overblown for me. We see plenty of pictures/media of Gerard on the training pitch and even taking part in some warm up drills.

People talk like he just sits in an office all day working out which potential new signings house he is going to rock up at, pops in for media duties, and picks the team on the weekend.

Agreed. The guy’s an ex-England international and Champion’s League-winning captain who has spent most of his life on the training pitch. Whether he directly ‘takes’ training or not, I’m sure he spends plenty of time with the players.

7 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Agreed. The guy’s an ex-England international and Champion’s League-winning captain who has spent most of his life on the training pitch. Whether he directly ‘takes’ training or not, I’m sure he spends plenty of time with the players.

Also there are pro's and cons to managers and head coaches. Fergie wouldn't have lasted so long if he was a head coach, he consistently refreshed the coaches which stopped players becoming complacent and focused on the management.

Gerrard clearly does some coaching, but by leaving the bulk to his team, it means its a lot easier for us to refresh that team from time to time rather than having to constantly change managers.

Although I think that'll be a moot point as if he is successful here it's unlikely he'll stay and build a dynasty like Fergie as we know he'd go to Liverpool if the opportunity arises

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Random video of him pissed leaving a Club in Los Angeles.

Just posting it before it becomes a " thing ".

Not sure why the bloke filming wouldn't just leave him alone to be honest 

Maybe the cameraman knew about Gerrard previous at nightclubs 😜

I actually dont care what he does on his holidays unless something to tarnish the club

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Random video of him pissed leaving a Club in Los Angeles.

Just posting it before it becomes a " thing ".

Not sure why the bloke filming wouldn't just leave him alone to be honest 

Heaven forbid, man leaves club drunk.

Not seen the video,  but assume he had a phone camera shoved in his face and didn't take too kindly to it. If he managed to handle it without punching him in the face then can't say I care. 

• Like 2

He's on holiday, out with his family, enjoying a night out....so he had a few sherberts, good.

move along....................nothing to see here.

• Like 4

Seems to be in California by his insta pic with Will Ferrell, any players holidaying in that area that he might be hoping to run into? 🙂

Edited by pete101

4 hours ago, pete101 said:

Seems to be in California by his insta pic with Will Ferrell, any players holidaying in that area that he might be hoping to run into? 🙂

Rumours he is talking to Beckham about coming out of retirement. Makes sense given we are already a retirement home for players past their best.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 03/06/2022 at 17:29, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A couple of things, the ONLY reason people bring up the first bit, is due to the incessant slagging off of him, so they felt the need to place in some actual fact as a defence. He isn't being " lauded ", he is being defended with fact.

Also, HE didn't finish 14th in isolation, as convenient as it is to the narrative. At best/worst it would be best to say the combination of Deano AND Steven Gerrard finished 14th.

Just saying HE without context is misleading, as we know you want it to be.

Also, none of us are pleased with finishing 14th, but a number of us look at the situation in it's entirety, aside from purely of an angle which just hates Steven Gerrard.

As a matter of fact, many posters, myself included, said it would be a season of transition, before the season had even started ( With Deano ) due to all the disruptions.

Finally, as shit and annoying as it is to be fair, Gerrards ACTUAL ppg is FACT, not opinion or hyperbole, so it's not something which can be skewed ffs.

In the Gerrard season table he finished 9th, but only 2pts above 14th.i would say the actual position of 14th is largely down to him. 

• Like 1

Â