Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

that's hyperbole and certainly not my view and given I'm one of two people who seem to be on the "negative" side tonight I assume you are putting me in that category. 

It's amazing that we cant analyse, scrutinise, praise or criticise without silly statements like that.

I want the best for Villa. 

My family and I have paid for our season tickets again even though we werent going to, increasing my 77 years old mom whose a loyal season ticket holder and has not the greatest health by 32% is taking the pee almost too far but we did renew.  We put our money where our mouth is and 100% support at the ground throughout the matches, and have done for generations.  We have the right to come on here and discuss concerns about Gerrard or any manager because that is part of the reason for fans to discuss, and the site is kindly run by Limpid and the moderators. 

I want Villa to succeed, I want Gerrard to succeed, I've never wanted Gerrard sacked.  I think he's brilliant with the media, I think he's brilliant so far at getting real quality in the door which none of our previous managers could've attracted but I have concerns about the game play, the coaching and the tactics, and yes too early but I can only judge based on what I saw to date and not some fantasy about next season.  If, like some have said, we have to wait for next season then this forum would be a waste ground because we cant discuss until then.  I am hopeful he can turn the form around, that he can get some consistency but i have reservations about it certainly because he couldnt get the best out of the squad he has for over six months. 

Will time and some more of his players make a difference, we all hope so but this narrative of we want Gerrard to fail is just plain silly.  There obviously will be one or two who think that but the likes of me and others who discuss generally dont think like that and i feel it's unfair for comments like that to be directed.

I definitely share some of your concerns with the tactics, but coaching im not sure I'm too worried about.  He's got the most current training methods to refer to, and even had articles talking about the new methods he was bringing to the club after he started. Possibly subsidised articles, saying what the club wanted them to, but still, I'd imagine he does have the most current skillset of coaches out there. 

On the pitch,  we looked to lack cohesion at times and only really got an idea of a working formation in the last month or so. 

We've got Critchley in who sounds like he'll be a huge bonus. Gerrard has been learning off Beale for many years, now he'll have another very good experienced head to learn alternative methods from and benefit from directly in his coaching approach.

I can't understand Gerrard's resistance to playing Buendia. I'm hoping it was just him knowing that he'll be the main man next season, and trying to work out which of Watkins or Ings he wants to be the main striker.

Overall, I feel I'm a fair bit less pessimistic about where we'll end up. 

What's your prediction for the season? Do you think Gerrard is likely to be out by Christmas?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nick76 said:

that's hyperbole and certainly not my view and given I'm one of two people who seem to be on the "negative" side tonight I assume you are putting me in that category. 

It's amazing that we cant analyse, scrutinise, praise or criticise without silly statements like that.

I want the best for Villa. 

My family and I have paid for our season tickets again even though we werent going to, increasing my 77 years old mom whose a loyal season ticket holder and has not the greatest health by 32% is taking the pee almost too far but we did renew.  We put our money where our mouth is and 100% support at the ground throughout the matches, and have done for generations.  We have the right to come on here and discuss concerns about Gerrard or any manager because that is part of the reason for fans to discuss, and the site is kindly run by Limpid and the moderators. 

I want Villa to succeed, I want Gerrard to succeed, I've never wanted Gerrard sacked.  I think he's brilliant with the media, I think he's brilliant so far at getting real quality in the door which none of our previous managers could've attracted but I have concerns about the game play, the coaching and the tactics, and yes too early but I can only judge based on what I saw to date and not some fantasy about next season.  If, like some have said, we have to wait for next season then this forum would be a waste ground because we cant discuss until then.  I am hopeful he can turn the form around, that he can get some consistency but i have reservations about it certainly because he couldnt get the best out of the squad he has for over six months. 

Will time and some more of his players make a difference, we all hope so but this narrative of we want Gerrard to fail is just plain silly.  There obviously will be one or two who think that but the likes of me and others who discuss generally dont think like that and i feel it's unfair for comments like that to be directed.

Fwiw I don’t put you in that category for a second. If you start comparing his record so far to Sherwoods to make a point about him I probably will. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

It is equally going to be frustrating for those banking on Gerrard to fail, it will be a hard pill to swallow if SG does well.

I think he is going to do well, I expect us to progress next season.

That’s what frustrates me. If he does well it means Villa have done well. What we all want surely?

On the other hand if they are right about him and he fails there will be many like myself that will be left looking silly just like with Sherwood. 

But if we can’t just get behind our manager then what’s the point?

Talk about his short comings which there have been many and will probably continue to be so by all means. Also totally understand the concerns. But  to be convinced he will fail and look for any narrative you can to put him down in the short time he’s been in charge? I just don’t get that.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I honestly have no clue. I did not enjoy last season at all under either Smith or Gerrard.  I enjoyed small patches like the Old Trafford game, the first six games of Gerrard where the team played like Gerrard himself used to play it was great.  The three wins early this year were good as well but 75% of the season was painful under both managers from Smith's losing run that got him sacked to Gerrard's second half of the season poor run including 9 points in 10 games at one stage.  With injuries and change over of manager, I just didnt enjoy it and on the pitch we had such a soft underbelly and made what seemed countless individual mistakes.

It makes me not have any idea what we'll do this season.  With a few more players, we have a talented squad that should be pushing for 7th but we know the competition is hard.  I want to aim for 60 points. 

In terms of what I think will happen, I have no idea, I cant even predict.  Sometimes I can see a real strong push for Europe with Kamara being a massive piece that we have been missing, Coutinho settled and him and Buendia somehow connecting and surely either Watkins or Ings will really start firing with that supply line.  Carlos for some reason I feel can become a cult hero and hopefully a rock at the back. 

Then sometimes I think, I havent seen anything on the pitch in 2022 that I have really been excited about, we seem to lack cohesion, Gerrard and the team seem not to be able to get the best out of players or at least working together.  I watch Coutinho, Mings, Watkins, McGinn, Bailey all go off and play well for their countries and all scored in one international window and looked like they never met when they came back to Villa.  I dont get it and thus I worry about another 45 point season.

Honestly, what I want is come away from Villa Park proud of the boys, whether that is win, draw or loss.  To feel like we have played together, there is cohesion, energy and a determination and I will be happy.  If that get us 7th or 10th I'll be so much happier either way.  So I dont have a prediction of where we'll end.  We should aim for 7th and I think anything less than 10th isnt really acceptable.  Given you have asked the question, I predict 9th.

The only way Gerrard leaves given his relationship with the management is if he has a similar start to Smith this season, then I could see him being in trouble especially if there is a quality manager floating around like Poch will be (He'll be snapped up quickly though). 

I think Gerrard will at least be average which wont get him the sack, I'm just hoping though that Gerrard will be awesome and gets us really going and give us a good go at an European place even if we dont eventually get it.  We do need a few more players in though to give him a chance of doing that.

Fair enough. 

You didn't ask, but I too am hoping for a 60 point season to consider it a really good season, but anything 55+ I'll be very happy with. Below 50 or 10th and ill be disappointed. 

If we're sitting in the bottom half come January I'd expect us to be out of it before the window closes, or serious questions should be being asked.

I predict a hit and miss run up to the world cup,  that sees us just inside the top half. This sees Gerrard safe. A consolidation of that post world Cup and then from there I am not sure what to expect. I guess we'll either have fully clicked and we're steam rollering  our way to 7th (or better).... or we've got an injury crisis and still haven't figured out what to do with our front 3/4, and we dawdle our way to a disappointing 10th.

• Like 1

Last season it's done, let's leave it in the past. Wasn't bad, wasn't good. Whatever. Let's get behind him for next season with yes, blind support. It's a clean slate, but with slightly more scrutiny than a brand new manager given he's had nearly a season to assess what he needs, and he'll doubtless be given it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s not about Smith, it’s more to do with views of how much Gerrard is a mistake. Rather than just accepting it’s done now whether they like it or not it does feel some would rather be be proven right than Gerrard be successful. 

smacks of Brexit.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s not about Smith, it’s more to do with views of how much Gerrard is a mistake. Rather than just accepting it’s done now whether they like it or not it does feel some would rather be be proven right than Gerrard be successful. 

Tbf I think there's a fair few that just dislike Gerrard as a person, and want him to fail no matter what. And you can't really argue with that if it's how they feel.

Let's just hope he wins the first few games of next season. Appointing a relativity inexperienced manager for Purslow's mate (replacing a villa fan) was always a big risk.

We are about to find out if that risk was worth while taking. I haven't seen anything in him that convinces me it was, maybe he will be better this season. 🤞

• Like 1

Hope he does better than I expect based on what I've seen and perceived to date. Think most that are not sold are in that position. 

The issues I have with his approach sit in a different thread. Lots of promising signs with regards to player/coach recruitment... Just want to see an attempt to play with width (through wingers, rather than FB alone) once in a while. I hope he massively surpasses my expectations and I can dig into humble pie over the next few years. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Interesting comments on Buendia being used in every game he is  ‘fit and available’ for.  I reckon he’s had fitness issues last season. Expect to see him a lot in the next.

Well Buendia player in every game bar 1 under Gerrard

Seems the interview was before the last game of last season

Edited by CVByrne

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Interesting comments on Buendia being used in every game he is  ‘fit and available’ for.  I reckon he’s had fitness issues last season. Expect to see him a lot in the next.

Maybe he did yeah. Definitely early on he wasn't quite there.

More the issue was him continually being left on the bench, and when he did get on, being our best player...then back on the bench the next game.

Less of that hopefully. Best performers get in the team.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 09:04, Dale said:

Hope he does better than I expect based on what I've seen and perceived to date. Think most that are not sold are in that position. 

The issues I have with his approach sit in a different thread. Lots of promising signs with regards to player/coach recruitment... Just want to see an attempt to play with width (through wingers, rather than FB alone) once in a while. I hope he massively surpasses my expectations and I can dig into humble pie over the next few years. 

I think the issue some managers have with wingers is they are hit and miss.....and the game demands industry/workrate.

Its one of them.......you either favour them or you don't , but there is a trade off.

We won the World cup without them......so its nothing new.

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Maybe he did yeah. Definitely early on he wasn't quite there.

More the issue was him continually being left on the bench, and when he did get on, being our best player...then back on the bench the next game.

Less of that hopefully. Best performers get in the team.

But he never saw out 90 minutes. So maybe Gerrard made the call of bringing him on to change a game if needed rather than start him.   Next season he will start a lot more. Trust me.

Â