Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think if I hear Gerrard was 9th again I think i might kill combust with laughter as if they give trophies for when Gerrard joined the Premier League trophy.

Its a pathetic answer when the table said 14th and he managed a large majority of our games playing a version Bruceball. Keep it tight and hope Coutinho can do something 

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yes the bullshit i said repeated 🙄

The Gerrardistas in force, not seen such a weird cultish obsession  since Rafa managed Liverpool 

Just to confirm, judging Steven Gerrard and including games when he wasn't our manager is fair, but judging Steven Gerrard and only including games that he's managed is bullshit and cultish. Gotcha

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, weedman said:

Just to confirm, judging Steven Gerrard and including games when he wasn't our manager is fair, but judging Steven Gerrard and only including games that he's managed is bullshit and cultish. Gotcha

I think his point was that his period in charge has us only 2 points above 14th place, and so shouldn't be used as a badge of honour for Gerrard.

Whatever, I don't think we had a good season. I don't think Gerrard got everything he could out of our squad. 

I do think he was trying to force a style of play that he thinks will get us European football, and was working out who of our current crop  could deliver it.

Gerrard in. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, weedman said:

The attempted reverse psychology is to give fans who are being reasonable " titles " and box them into a " cult " , in hope that you then start questioning if logical barometers are reasonable any more 😂

I mean, what kind of logical Bollox are you insinuating here? 

You're either on the we are all doomed, we are destined to ' Bruceball and pensioners + relegation, everything is and will be shit etc " or you're a " Gerrardista " 🤦🏿

There is no point in overly engaging here.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What is it with this place sometimes? Why do people have to be put into boxes, you’re either Gerrards number one fan or his worst enemy, is that how it works? 

He’s our Manager, to not get behind him is literally retarded, it makes zero sense and achieves nothing other than being able to say ‘I told you so’ if it all goes to shit.

So... getting a nude Gerrard tattoo down my back was a step too far?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think his point was that his period in charge has us only 2 points above 14th place, and so shouldn't be used as a badge of honour for Gerrard.

Whatever, I don't think we had a good season. I don't think Gerrard got everything he could out of our squad. 

I do think he was trying to force a style of play that he thinks will get us European football, and was working out who of our current crop  could deliver it.

Gerrard in. 

I understand that point, but no one is actually using it as a "badge of honour", people are saying that we're 9th since he arrived, so it's actually not too bad and now we're improving the squad further there's a lot to be positive about moving forward. Being told that judging Gerrard since he arrived is bullshit is, well, bullshit. 

The difference between us in 14th and whoever was in 8th is negligible. I know that "you finish where you deserve", but it's so tight between those 6 teams (including us) that a small swing in luck or a refereeing decision can actually shoot you up (or down) the table pretty easily. For example bringing in an actual DM would help us being so vulnerable on the counter which would mean we'd pick up more points against the Watfords or Newcastles last season, stop us throwing away leads so easily like against Wolves or City or even Leeds

I agree that he's clearly decided the formations he likes (4312 or 4321) and has stuck with it despite probably not having the players. He's now adding the players that fit it which can only improve our performances next season. Given that it's so tight in this cluster of teams, and our squad having some real quality but a real problem with balance, the players added already should really be enough to push us up a few places at least

I think he'll be judged to high standards by the owners next season. The moves we're making aren't the moves of a team trying to get into the top 10, we're in the cluster of teams 8th-14th now, his job next season will be to challenge the top 6, finishing ahead of the cluster we find ourselves in now. If that's finishing 7th just a few points from the top 6 and clear of 8th then that's acceptable I think. If we're still in the same group of teams, even if we finish 8th rather than 14th, I think he'll be in some trouble because there's no real progress there, and no-one can argue he's not being backed 

• Like 4

Cant deny gerrards pulling power. He get a manager to quit his job as a number 1 to be a number 2.

I can see that being a massive pro for him being here. As much as i liked smith, he didnt have that same pulling power 

1 hour ago, MellbergsBeard said:

No offence to you Dem at all here but why do people keep comparing Gerrard to Smith?

I’m not sure a previous manager has ever been spoken about like Smith after a sacking.

Dean is a wonderful part of our history and it’s the last sentence, I believe that fuels the tribalism between Pro and Anti Gerrard and doesn’t let anyone properly move on and get behind the hear and now.

Im not taking a dig at smith but im just highlighing one of the advantages of having gerrard. Its quite evident by the calibre of players that have come here

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

No offence to you Dem at all here but why do people keep comparing Gerrard to Smith?

I’m not sure a previous manager has ever been spoken about like Smith after a sacking.

Dean is a wonderful part of our history and it’s the last sentence, I believe that fuels the tribalism between Pro and Anti Gerrard and doesn’t let anyone properly move on and get behind the hear and now.

That is highlighting a big part of the issue, some people are still finding it difficult to move on from Smith, hence the negative feelings towards Gerrard. That said, it is getting better over time and people are coming around. 

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Cant deny gerrards pulling power. He get a manager to quit his job as a number 1 to be a number 2.

I can see that being a massive pro for him being here. As much as i liked smith, he didnt have that same pulling power 

Yeah massive credit to Gerrard here. He's had the pull to take a very successful head coach from Championship. Seems a highly rated coach too. 

Seems the draw of moulding a young team and bringing the youth through at elite level is big

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is highlighting a big part of the issue, some people are still finding it difficult to move on from Smith, hence the negative feelings towards Gerrard. That said, it is getting better over time and people are coming around. 

Thats not true though is it. Seems to be people getting defensive about fair criticism of Gerrard that usually brings Smith into it

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Lost count of how many times I said I was very happy to see Smith leave, and equally sceptic about SG replacing him.

Villa under NSWE have a manager deficit. Money is spent on everything except brains.

Yesterday everyone were ecstatic about the assistant replacement for Beale. Great, but we still don’t have an experienced manager with merits from one of the big leagues. If Villa keep spending, this will be the remaining problem. We’ll never challenge the top 4 without a coherent idea.

• Confused 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I think NSWE and Purslow would like a 'Conte' or a 'Pochettino' but to be honest, I genuinely don't think we had what was required to attract such a manager when we employed Smith and subsequently Gerrard. 

I think you are right there. Everton appointed Ancelotti and he soon dumped them when a better offer came in. Conte wasn't sure to be at Spurs next season, until recently. Talk that he could be off to PSG. 

To attract (and keep) names like that you need to be in the Champions League IMO. Or have the profile of a team like Man Utd. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think you are right there. Everton appointed Ancelotti and he soon dumped them when a better offer came in. Conte wasn't sure to be at Spurs next season, until recently. Talk that he could be off to PSG. 

To attract (and keep) names like that you need to be in the Champions League IMO. Or have the profile of a team like Man Utd. 

I agree. The fact that we are all impressed with Villa being able to sign Kamara, Carlos and Coutinho shows exactly where we are as a club. We need to get ourselves into a position where these type of signings are no longer a surprise and no longer have the fans thinking that the recruitment team did an amazing job. We need these type of signings to become the norm. Gerrard is playing his role in making this happen and congrats to Purslow for anticipating this. If we can have a couple of good seasons on the pitch and get a Europa qualification it will really help lift us to the next level. We will then be in a position to justifiably go after an elite manager and expect him to want to sign for us. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think Gerrard can become an Elite manager......He is still learning like some of our players.

If Kamara, Carlos, Coutinho, Martinez, Digne.....all believe in him, why shouldn't we.

It takes time to change, and some fans seem to be short on that.....we are on a journey, and haven't got there yet.

but the essence of it all is to deliver the potential in to reality.....thats the challenge.

Where the amazement comes in is recruiting, players who are capable of much better things to come in to a club who has finished 14th and 19 defeats....that takes some doing.

The salesmanship of SG must be up there with the best.......alternatively, he has a plan, that would blow all our minds....and judging by the new Assistant capture, maybe its blown his.

I think Gerrard can make it as an elite manager too but that is based on very limited evidence. If he can deliver a good season next year then I will really start to believe he will become one as opposed to thinking he can become one. The bit I really like about his appointment is that the club is leveraging Gerrard's reputation to bring the club to a higher level while also testing his ability as a manager. If Purslow has to sack Gerrard in the next 12 months, the club will be in a better place than when Gerrard joined us. Its that type of management at Villa that I am really loving and give me huge confidence for the future. 

5 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think Gerrard can make it as an elite manager too but that is based on very limited evidence. If he can deliver a good season next year then I will really start to believe he will become one as opposed to thinking he can become one. The bit I really like about his appointment is that the club is leveraging Gerrard's reputation to bring the club to a higher level while also testing his ability as a manager. If Purslow has to sack Gerrard in the next 12 months, the club will be in a better place than when Gerrard joined us. Its that type of management at Villa that I am really loving and give me huge confidence for the future. 

Forgive me Pete, for seeing a slightly different slant......If Purslow has to sack him, its because the results are not forth coming and the chances are we will be worse than we are now......right now, I am not even contemplating him getting the sack, more worried about him leaving for bigger things.....but I get the fact 19 defeats ain't going to keep him in the job either......11 on his watch.

Its great signing all these high profile players......but they have to deliver, and so does SG.

Man Utd have shown us, good players ,don't necessarily mean good TEAM.....the odds are they will, but we have to wait and see.

The evidence for SG is limited, but they all have to start somewhere.

We all evaluate various things along the way, that raises our suspicions......I have studied many managers in their early days at Villa like Ron Saunders and Graham Taylor, Brian Little and John Gregory.......all different, but little things tell you things.

Last season, didn't surprise me too much, because I looked at the team and could see things that I knew would be a struggle......The ease in which we conceded the advantage, was my biggest concern, and hopefully we are addressing it, not finished yet, I hope.

Our ability to let leads slip, was depressing, to say the least, worse teams than us ( overall) was better at it, at times.....The soft under belly for me, was the biggest no,no......and I couldn't take to the team, like I have done, in the past ( distant past)

I think SG has recognised this.....and work has started to address it....I just hope B6 becomes a fortress again.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Â