Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Injuries ? 

when many think a CDM would be nifty....and the only dedicated one we have in the squad has a long term injury and prior to that injury was showing unprecedented form during better results.

I think its a fair claim, don't you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t know, every good team has a way of playing, Klopp doesn’t change formation, it took time for him to instil the way of playing he has now, One more relatable would be Arteta at Arsenal,  could have easily been sacked laughing stock of the Premier League, now sticking to his guns and coaching is paying dividends. I might be wrong but chopping and changing would be setting off more alarm bells for me personally than continuing to build a playstyle. 

Its a paradox.

• Chop and change looking for answers......and "they don't know what they are doing"
  • Stay true to your beliefs and systems.....and "thats wrong too, with some"

Managers don't know whether to stick or twist at times.

I say, stick to what you believe in.....and then only YOU will get yourself the sack, not others.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Shouldn't a potentially top manager be more flexible though? Rather than having a strict way of playing?

I think it’s a funny one, Conte won’t change for anyone even when it’s not working for example. Potter got the better of his system a few weeks ago. But he’ll win more games than he’ll lose with it. We’ve seen Gerrards system work well and look terrible this season. I don’t think we’ve a choice other than wait to see how it looks next season with improvements to the squad 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think it’s a funny one, Conte won’t change for anyone even when it’s not working for example. Potter got the better of his system a few weeks ago. But he’ll win more games than he’ll lose with it. We’ve seen Gerrards system work well and look terrible this season. I don’t think we’ve a choice other than wait to see how it looks next season with improvements to the squad 

Agreed, rather be masters of one style, than decent at multiple. Doesnt mean we cant be a bit flexible in that one style. 

Also this is the perfect time for gerrard to assess which current players can and which wont adapt to his requirements, which is more beneficial in the long term, than changing style and winning a couple more points. 

Altough i do have my doubts about the style gerrard wants to play.. we'll see next season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

when many think a CDM would be nifty....and the only dedicated one we have in the squad has a long term injury and prior to that injury was showing unprecedented form during better results.

I think its a fair claim, don't you?

Fair or not.

Let's hope we get through next season without any injuries to our key players then 0🤣🤣🤣

Wouldn't want super Stevie's grand plan derailled by a crop of injuries to key players........or even a player. !!!

5 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Agreed, rather be masters of one style, than decent at multiple. Doesnt mean we cant be a bit flexible in that one style. 

Also this is the perfect time for gerrard to assess which current players can and which wont adapt to his requirements, which is more beneficial in the long term, than changing style and winning a couple more points. 

Altough i do have my doubts about the style gerrard wants to play.. we'll see next season.

I do too.

but when something is only half built, its hard to see the finished article......only then do doubts, get addressed.

We are casting our opinions on something unfinished.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair or not.

Let's hope we get through next season without any injuries to our key players then 0🤣🤣🤣

Wouldn't want super Stevie's grand plan derailled by a crop of injuries to key players........or even a player. !!!

If we had 3 /4 players who could play in specific roles, I would be more inclined to agree with you.....as you allude to, all teams have injuries...but very few have only one player to play the role, with any competence.

When we only have 1............I am inclined to think you have missed that?

Hippo, I have to say, I find your responses very chucklesome.."Super Stevie"  and "Grand Plan" is clearly a poorly camouflaged sarcasm of a man you find irritating, to say anything credible about. I would imagine if you have to say anthing good, you need a lie down as compensation.

I suspect your time supporting us, While we have a manager who clearly sucks at your better nature....will be a torturous affair.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fair or not.

Hmmm.

Main difference with any future scenario will be/should, having a better OVERALL squad of players ( Massively overpaid old mercenaries ? ) in the right areas, to fill in, if and when that does happen 😉

The emergence of Iroegbunam ( One of the youth types he apparently hates ) might also go a long distance helping, in that area, in that regard.

Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

In regards recruitment, Gerrard now has a bigger advantage than any other manager bar MON. 

Dean had a summer to build a Premier League squad from a promoted squad full of loan players and out of contract players. We then had to build again, as although we survived those players weren't good enough to move us up the table and then last summer, whilst exciting and promising, still had the loss of our captain and best player. 

This summer, we have a solid squad to build on. We aren't losing top players and we've got some quality youngsters coming through. He's got every advantage possible this summer and has to make it work. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we had 3 /4 players who could play in specific roles, I would be more inclined to agree with you.....as you allude to, all teams have injuries...but very few have only one player to play the role, with any competence.

When we only have 1............I am inclined to think you have missed that?

Hippo, I have to say, I find your responses very chucklesome.."Super Stevie"  and "Grand Plan" is clearly a poorly camouflaged sarcasm of a man you find irritating, to say anything credible about. I would imagine if you have to say anthing good, you need a lie down as compensation.

I suspect your time supporting us, While we have a manager who clearly sucks at your better nature....will be a torturous affair.

Well I'd suggest you re read the post. I will summarize it for you:-

'We will most likely get injuries next season'

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

In regards recruitment, Gerrard now has a bigger advantage than any other manager bar MON. 

Dean had a summer to build a Premier League squad from a promoted squad full of loan players and out of contract players. We then had to build again, as although we survived those players weren't good enough to move us up the table and then last summer, whilst exciting and promising, still had the loss of our captain and best player. 

This summer, we have a solid squad to build on. We aren't losing top players and we've got some quality youngsters coming through. He's got every advantage possible this summer and has to make it work. 

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the top players do move on to be honest.

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think that’s all fair.

I think that unless we suffer a massive collapse in our remaining games this season, NSWE/CP will give him 10-12 games next season, but if it’s not massively improved then he will find himself under intense pressure imo to keep his job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Injuries ? 

Bailey & Traore have been injured for stints - on their day two quality wide men… Nakamba was looking transformed before his injury. Sanson is another blighted by knocks  - it’s the same for all teams though so isn’t an excuse but must also be a consideration when judging Gerrard too soon IMO. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Posts removed. There's a thread for player transfers in the summer. Discussing Roy Hodgson and Viera at Palace or Newcastle's centre back situation is nothing to do with Steven Gerrard. Please stay on topic.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I wonder what the story would have been if The early Gerrard trajectory continued and got us into top six. Here's a link to the story.

The whole Gerrard to Liverpool thing, I think is purely driven by the media.  You only have to look at Lampard and Ole to see that club legends don't actually work out that great.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Looks like Liverpool are looking to extend Klopp's contract.  

Not that Gerrard doesn't have his focus on the here and now but still.

Ive always thought Gerrard's route to the Liverpool job will be via him going back in some coaching/assistant manager role then being promoted from within.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I doubt the story would have been any different. What logical reason would Liverpool have, to want to part with Klopp?

This was always something which was only likely, if EVER, in probably 3, 4, 5 years or more.

This will ruin alot of people's fantasies on here 😂

25 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He’s using us for 2028! 😂😂😂😂

He would have to crack top4 and plop drop out of it I'd think to even be in the mix, it always felt like it would be us then another step up before he would be considered for a top job like that. Hope he settles a few nerves and starts delivering for us, progress progress, if he does the business I'll buy zatman a Gerrard shirt 

• Thanks 1

Â