Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

42 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

"The opposition's plan was clear to frustrate and wait for the opportunities. The mistakes cost us today, we gifted three points to Al Riyadh."

That sounded exactly what he said after getting a draw vs Man City last year - not following his instructions, the key to any downfall or world wars

at least he didnt say teams like Al Riyadh should be wiping the floor with us

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

With Steven, you just never got the feeling that he was a nice bloke, there's nothing warm or humble about him.

I always got the sense he thought he was bigger than the club and undermined us. Unai on the other hand has achieved so much but shows so much respect and belief in what we can be. 

• Like 1

Just now, villarule123 said:

Can't believe he wasn't sacked after those Chelsea comments.

I know we like to take the piss out of those comments but to be fair they're usually taken out of context. He never was much of a wordsmith, but what he was getting at was that on paper you would expect them to wipe the floor with us with their resources, but football isn't played on paper etc. Dumb comment to make but hardly the waving of the white flag it's often made out to be.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What's this prick doing on top of my page

I think that every time one of you saddoes bumps the Gresford thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

With Steven, you just never got the feeling that he was a nice bloke, there's nothing warm or humble about him.

You just haven’t looked him in the eye, he has the most humble eyes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

I always got the sense he thought he was bigger than the club and undermined us. Unai on the other hand has achieved so much but shows so much respect and belief in what we can be. 

Having seen how much of a tune Emery got out of the same group of players he nearly relegated, you'd think he'd try and take a leaf out of his book. But no. Gerrard's the man. The star. He'll do it his way... 🤮

13 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

The moment he said Chelsea should wipe the floor with us was the moment i changed from disliking him to pure hatred towards the man.

Worst manager in our history and it isn't even close.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I know we like to take the piss out of those comments but to be fair they're usually taken out of context. He never was much of a wordsmith, but what he was getting at was that on paper you would expect them to wipe the floor with us with their resources, but football isn't played on paper etc. Dumb comment to make but hardly the waving of the white flag it's often made out to be.

Not sure about that. 

As a manager, you don't make those comment, full stop. Even if it affects one of the players in the squad, it's a bad outcome.

How about building morale and actually bringing a game plan to counter the Chelsea threat?

Regardless, we have shown to be the better team over the last 12 months so his point was wrong whichever way you look at it. 

Did anyone pick up this quote from Joe Cole at the Brighton game?

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/premier-league/2023-2024/unai-emery-has-taken-aston-villa-to-another-level-joe-cole-and-peter-crouch-on-unbelievable-pedigree_sto9816868/story.shtml

Ahead of Villa’s match against Brighton, live on TNT Sports, Cole was full of praise for the job Emery has done at the Midlands club so far.

“You have to give this man so much credit,” he said. “I do think Steven Gerrard had a difficult spell, but he’d put a structure underneath for this club, money was spent.

“But [Emery] has come in and taken it to another level, so all credit to him.”

"Money was spent" 🤣🤣 - yes, on Coutinho, Dendoncker, Chambers and Coutinho's wages.

Digne is now looking a decent signing and you can't argue with getting Kamara to come, that was a coup, but come on ffs. As someone else just pointed out on another forum, Smith laid the proper foundations - Konsa, Mings, Ollie, Martinez, Dougie.

• Like 1

The thing with Gerrard was that he expected it to be easy, probably because of who he is and his general standing in the game. But there is a certain way players need to be treated these days, and lots around general well-being which he failed with. In my view the players simply hated playing for him. 
It’s a shame because I was quite excited about him coming in, thought he would really help change the way we go about managing games in a non Aston Villa way. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Â