Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I hope this is a wake-up call for him, that he's not yet at the level required to manage in this league. A proper manager has completely shown him up. I suspect that nothing will click for him though.

I suspect he'll learn nothing tactically and will go to his next club and just play the same narrow zombie inducing football he played here. Or basically just retire into punditry if Beale dosen't want to be his assistant again whenever he leaves Rangers.

Had to laugh at some of his early team selections. Sums up we started the opening day with all of Mings, Luiz and Watkins on the bench.😂

Luiz was then an unused sub the next week v Everton, only came on at Palace when we were 3-1 down, started West Ham at home and then was dropped again for Arsenal away when he came on and scored straight away from the corner.

Pretty much a minor miracle he still signed a new contract as there was no guarantee back then that Gerrard was getting sacked anytime soon.

Think we'd have sold Mings if we'd signed James Tarkowski aswell so while I think Tarkowski is a capable defender in a low block he wouldn't have given us the all round quality Mings has in last few months so that's another big mistake we thankfully averted. 

• Like 2

One thing I noticed was when they showed the highlights of the final goal of the Man City come back last year it showed Mings giving it away and Dougie missing the challenge which led to Gundogan scoring the winner.

Costing his beloved Liverpool the title. Next season he seems to have a strange grudge against both.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

One thing I noticed was when they showed the highlights of the final goal of the Man City come back last year it showed Mings giving it away and Dougie missing the challenge which led to Gundogan scoring the winner.

Costing his beloved Liverpool the title. Next season he seems to have a strange grudge against both.

They were dead on their feet from defending so much, Dougie especially. That missed challenge was from pure fatigue. I remember he brought on Nakamba, not to replace him but someone else.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Pretty much a minor miracle he still signed a new contract as there was no guarantee back then that Gerrard was getting sacked anytime soon.

He must have known Emery was on his way at that point. The deal with Emery was being done while Geralrard was still in the job I'd say.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He must have known Emery was on his way at that point. The deal with Emery was being done while Geralrard was still in the job I'd say.

Yep, probably right. He signed new deal on Friday 14th October and the Fulham game was less than a week later so probably a quiet word of Gerrard wouldn't be there much longer.

4 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

My hunch always was he had a go at Mings in changing room after that match and decided there and then to take the captaincy off and then out of spite didn't announce it until a week before the season so that's where bad feeling would linger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Thug said:

My my my.

Talk about being proven a fraud of a manager.

And to think that some posters on here were refusing to accept he was a problem and wanted to give him MORE time.

It was the aura.

...and as for why people can't let it go....it's because of the lies, the PR, the gaslighting that you have to put up with after every single game when he was in charge from friends,colleagues and sycophants.

So no, I won't let it go. Ever.

He's a word removed.

• Like 2

You will never make it as a PL manager if you lack the ability to coach.

Things are different now. The days of 'managers' are gone.

You need the full package.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2023 at 01:14, VillaChris said:

Same for me.

Bit like the Grealish thread constantly getting bumped still (when he's actually played very well indeed for Man. City in last six months) I'd rather just concentrate on our current personnel given we've finally achieved something worth shouting about.

Gerrard was a Purslow vanity project that just wasn't good enough. It happens and we should've sacked him sooner.

I like it, i like more and more comformation to how much of a fraudand a prick  the guy is. 

I also understand the Grealish bump, some still love him.

I don't agree with the personal insults but it was clear he was way out of his depth at Villa. Winning in Scotland is nothing really. He tried his best but he never should have been hired in the first place. If he was a generic league one/championship manager who won the title at Rangers there is no way we would have looked at him. 

It's in the past, let's all move on.

59 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't agree with the personal insults but it was clear he was way out of his depth at Villa. Winning in Scotland is nothing really. He tried his best but he never should have been hired in the first place. If he was a generic league one/championship manager who won the title at Rangers there is no way we would have looked at him. 

I'm not sure he really tried his best.  I don't think he put nearly enough work in to make a success of it and would just give up and sulk if we weren't winning.  His attitude is completely wrong for top level management.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Alex McLeish, far more accomplished manager than he'll likely ever will be, and we brought out the bedsheets when he was announced. Would probably have been a similar reaction if someone like Neil Lennon took over.

But like @rodders0223 said, because of the "aura" (which I don't even see, he seems a dour unlikeable person), people were excited. Just like they were by him as a player, or probably precisely because of that. Even when it was obvious it wasn't working, it had to be the players' fault. No way Stevie G could be bad right? I mean, all his mates on Sky Sports say he's the best. Born Winner etc.

• Like 1

In respect to Gerrard I was one of the few to suggest he needed time.

This was not in anyway because I liked him as I've always been a little indifferent to him it was really because I had hoped something would click. Of course this was just blind faith on my part.

Anyhow it worked out for the best, Villa made a mistake in hiring Gerrard and a success in hiring Emery.

I've seen Gerrard in a bad way now, in hindsight he seemed to be childish, stroppy and not at all cut-out for management. His ego couldn't deal and was threatened by a far superior human in Tyrone Mings and hence used his power to demean him. The videos he shared of him scoring goals against Villa after he was sacked is testament to his ego, pettiness and childishness.

Gerrard is not intelligent enough to be a manager, he fluked one trophy in Scotland because the only other half-decent team stepped off the gas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He went to watch Liverpool in the Champions League the night our under 23s played

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Alex McLeish, far more accomplished manager than he'll likely ever will be, and we brought out the bedsheets when he was announced.

I think the bedsheets were out before he was announced! 

• Like 1

Â