Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I personally would just make a change now, let someone else have the what should be winnable games against Fulham, Brentford, and Newcastle, my concern is if we let Gerrard have those games he might do just enough to keep his job, but it will be false dawn, and our next bad run won't be far away, and there's a danger we will keep going in circles like that, Gerrard on the brink of the sack, then doing just enough to keep his job, and so on and so on, the end result of which will be a very uninspring season.

If we want to attract a decent replacement, better to make the change now, rather than waiting until we're in worse position.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just hope no one sings his name Sunday if he’s still here, it’ll be a toxic atmosphere if chelsea score 1st

Just don’t understand NWSE why they ain’t pulled the trigger yet, I’d rather have a caretaker in charge for a few games if the one they want isn’t available at the min, as what’ll be worse if gerrard flukes a result against Chelsea 

Edited by rbcuk

Interesting thought but this might be the most pressure ever in his career. He never really played in a struggling team or ever really needed to fight for his place as a player

This should have been when the famous winning mentality would kick in

• Like 1

How is he still here?

The club have been so proactive over the last few years, really positive stuff until now. Really disappointing that he hasn't been sacked today. 

2 points from 10 man Leeds and bottom of the table. We've only really played teams around us and our performances have been dire. Everytime we're on sky the pundits always say what a poor game that was. We are sick of the boring poor performances

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Sadly, it's likely just the bookies reacting to an influx of bets.

Bookies only ever react to an influx of bets. The odds don't reflect likelihood - they reflect the mathematical probability of them making money. 

This is why Sky Bet should not be able to exist - they push the rumours, and then make money from their own bull shit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Bookies only ever react to an influx of bets. The odds don't reflect likelihood - they reflect the mathematical probability of them making money. 

This is why Sky Bet should not be able to exist - they push the rumours, and then make money from their own bull shit. 

Sometimes people get enough of a whiff of something happening that the odds plunge from nowhere and it turns out to be a better indication than from the journos.  Ings seemed to be known about in the betting market and the press knew nothing.  That said my gut feeling that we haven't had a mouse's fart of a rumour that he is going suggests he isn't going anywhere fast.

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I saw a table made today which covered Gerrards time as manager. It had us as 9th. Difficult to believe but I guess it’s that which is keeping him hanging on right now. 

The problem with SG is not the results in themselves. I wouldn't sack him just for the results. I would give him more time if we were making progress. The problem is that he seems to have no idea how to structure our attack and doesn't see that the problem begins with the midfield.

I watched his interviews last night and it is scary how devoid of tactical knowledge he appears to be, his response to the awful performance "we need players to step up with moments of magic." With tactical insights of that depth it's no wonder we aren't scoring, aren't creating and otherwise just look all-round clueless when in possession. Ultimately he's been found out now, he is out of his depth and doesn't have the required skills tactically or man-management either from the looks of it. The club needs to cut their losses immediately because best case scenario we scrape a result in the next game and so on and we just limp on and on until eventually enough is enough, if he is this devoid of tactical understanding after this amount of time he simply won't learn it now

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 3

Â