Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair points. I’m not with the ‘anyone can do better’  and hate everything he does crowd. It’s just everything feels a bit boring at the moment. 

I think it would be hard for any proper manager to not do better. 

We have our captain saying he wouldn't watch us on TV.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it would be hard for any proper manager to not do better. 

We have our captain saying he wouldn't watch us on TV.

I know it was totally different circumstances but we said that about Garde. If the club sack Gerrard they really do need to get the next appointment right. Which is why I reckon they might use the World Cup break to do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WHY said:

Usually does mate when you are a mid to lower end PL club. It’s such a hard league unless you are one of the big 4 to be consistently good in it. West Ham spent big money in the summer and have had their worst ever PL start. Would be even worse if it wasn’t for us 😂

This is a load of bollocks mate, an I'm pretty fed up with other fans of hearing it!

Good managers/coaches get the best out of players and play the best system suited. You can go on about, our players not having enough technical ability, athectism, but look at Brighton where they are, an watch them drop now they don't have Potter. Look how many shit teams finished above us last season.

It's all on the manager, we have a great group of players, Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey  2 decent enough strikers and we still struggle to create and score goals. McGinn's a lucky boy, cause I'm sure he wouldn't be playing under a proven manager.

It's also easy to say the players aren't good enough, but theres no real proof, as we ain't had a coach with proper managerial experience since maybe O'Neil. 

Bring in Poch or Rodgers for me, if we are still shit, I'll admit the players aren't good enough!!

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah that's where I'm at.

Meh but not hyperbolic yet 😂

JV - that’s possibly because he was a great footballer - we were all hoping this might translate onto the management aspect of the game - unfortunately it has not - he is seriously out of his depth at the moment. This will most likely change over the course of time, but in reality it was a huge mistake to replace Deano with Gerrard 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It may well be fella but fortunately you won’t be making that decision and neither will I! We have to trust the multi billionaires who have made their fortunes off the back of knowing when the right time is to hire/fire their staff.

You mean trust the clearings in the woods that hired him in the first place! 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Watching Rodgers’ interview it was almost as though he was asking to be sacked as he needs a total 6 month break. 

Shame because I like Rodgers as a manager. I rewatched the game, we definitely still have coaching issues as Gerrard acknowledged (which is a good thing, at least he is not deluded).

I will take the win but I still dont understand why Luis was dropped and McGinn wasnt. We still are not coaching /using Bailey correctly. He struggles to take a man on from a standing start, he is much better used at speed. Finding Ollies best position in post Grealish Villa is still a work in progress after a year. His work rate is a massive asset but there is something missing for him to be the main central striker.

imho we have a very good squad but we still have not gelled post Grealish into any attractive or coherent playing style. Thats not all on Gerrard but now most of it is. I hope Gerrard/Critchley will use this break wisely. 

57 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

You mean trust the clearings in the woods that hired him in the first place! 😂

At this point we need to look at exactly who hired him and all the evidence points to Purslow. At this level of business, owners appoint senior executives and put trust in them to make the big decisions. Yes ultimately the buck stops with NSWE and I’m sure they would have signed off on the appointment but a lot may depend on if they were overly keen or not and how much this was an idea that Purslow really pushed. The speed of the appointment and not much in the way of due diligence would put suggest this is largely at Purslow’s  door. 

What happens next is key. If the board move quickly to appoint a top manager all is good. Then we will see what the fallout is. Collective admission of blame everything carries on as before but with a manager capable of realising the club’s ambitions. If Purslow drags his feet or NSWE for that matter then we may have a problem. If NSWE are as ambitious and ruthless as we’ve been  led to believe and Purslow is deemed to be largely to blame for the Gerrard Project, then we may well be looking for a new CEO as well as a manager. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Maybe not this burned out Rodgers, but I think our squad is about on par with the one that he got to within 1 game of securing top 4 (twice!), an FA Cup and a European semifinal. They were in a worse spot than us when he joined us. But I agree, we shouldn't fall into the trap of "better than Gerrard" because that's a very wide spectrum.

Agreed.

It's sadly also a group that includes our former manager :(

On 18/09/2022 at 07:41, Keyblade said:

The lowering of expectations at this club that's happening in real time is a real sight to behold.

Being a rookie manager explains his performance, not the club's. That should be his conundrum to sort out with like Sheffield Wednesday or some shit, not us.

Exactly… I can’t believe how willing some people can be to cover for this guy.

We are a PL team, the club has constantly spoken of our “ambitions”…

and yet how can we be happy or so willing to tolerate struggling to even look like a proper team and have no discernible or effective style of play?

Fans are being asked to pay more in these difficult times yet we are being served up with aimless, turgid shite… we are simply not being entertained and are far from resembling a competitive side. It’s quite terrible…

We really are in the shit and are going nowhere… we’re closer to relegation than actually looking like achieving anything. At this rate, under this manager, the best we are going to do is become another “also ran” and struggle away in the bottom half with other perceived “mediocre teams” (with far less resources and inferior individual players) when we should be doing a hell of a lot better.

No one should be learning on the job to THIS EXTENT while they are being employed by this club.

It really isn’t far from a disaster and could end up becoming a full blown one…

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Is Gerrard the second best manager at Aston Villa after Carla Ward, or are some of the youth team managers better too?

There are managers in the back offices as well, if you are talking purely football managers in the club then I think Gerrard maybe just get in the top ten football managers at the club at moment….remember we have various youth levels, womens to name just a few. If you are talking all types of managers in the club then he could be a very long way down the list 😉😂

Gerrard has had a close look at himself and taken criticism on board. I believe he is desperate to do well here - his reaction at the end of Southampton shows that. And it is clear that he has tried to run before he could walk. We have improved over the last two games, we have a foundation moving forward now. Sacking him now will make no sense, we are heading in the right direction imo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

This guy has completely drained my enthusiasm and excitement for my football club… I am past being upset or annoyed or even frustrated… I’m starting to feel apathy more than anything.

That is exactly how I feel - apathetic. I am just rolling with it at the moment, waiting for Gerrard either to come good or the Board to sack him.

Although I am worried about the damage he may do to the club in the meantime, and the waste of our young players.

27 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Gerrard has had a close look at himself and taken criticism on board. I believe he is desperate to do well here - his reaction at the end of Southampton shows that. And it is clear that he has tried to run before he could walk. We have improved over the last two games, we have a foundation moving forward now. Sacking him now will make no sense, we are heading in the right direction imo.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion based on what we've seen this season. 

We are no better now than the day he walked through the door. The progress made by Gerrard with this team is close to 0

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion based on what we've seen this season. 

We are no better now than the day he walked through the door. The progress made by Gerrard with this team is close to 0

Honestly? 

Would you not say the first eleven and squad is not better than under Smith.

I think we have made progress with attracting better players; the balance is finding a system that works for us.

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Honestly? 

Would you not say the first eleven and squad is not better than under Smith.

I think we have made progress with attracting better players; the balance is finding a system that works for us.

Having better players doesn't mean you are a better manager. It means you SHOULD get better results.

Southgate gets to pick from some amazing players, he is still a shocking manager.

Gerrard, had the high profile to attract players however I fear they have now seen through his plush thick hair, snappy designer clothes and grating whiny scouse accent and realise Gerrard the player is the polar opposite talent wise of Gerrard the manager.

Honestly hoping we are finalising poch as our manager and he will be in after the Leeds game 🤞

• Like 2

Â