Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think you can still argue that, because it's still relative to the tools at their disposal. In my opinion there should be no way he has us hovering around the same form as our worst period under Smith with the likes of Coutinho, Digne, Chambers and Kamara added to the ranks (as well as the squad depth he now has with Augustinsson, Olsen, Archer etc). Not to mention a fully fit Buendia and Bailey which Smith never really had. The squad as it stands right now is miles better in terms of both quality and health than the one from this time in 2021.

Nail head, meet hammer

My two cents....

Leicester is a must win game for Gerrard, not only because of the position and form Leicester are in, but because of the dross that has been served up so far this season.

Its a cumulative effect of being below par. He needs to get some above par results to even it out now. Away to Leicester may be an above par win normally, but this season it would be expected based on their limited transfer dealing and atrocious performances to date. So even a win against Leicester isn't going to be enough. He needs to then get a win against Southampton too. 

A draw is not good enough thanks to his losses to other teams that haven't won any other games this season.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Who's getting to the stage that they'll  take a loss?

I know most will say why would we ever want our team to lose, but in reality there's gonna be many more feeble loses under Gerrard if he stays any longer.

The difficulty being 4 or 6 points could be the start of fewer 'feeble loses', followed by decent form, followed by good form. Possibly not of course, but I'm not at the stage of wanting my team to lose and not sure if I ever will.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I know most will say why would we ever want our team to lose, but in reality there's gonna be many more feeble loses under Gerrard if he stays any longer.

If he can win and show that he's learned from Saturday, this is definitely the preferable option. For one, 3 points are absolutely crucial for us right now, but also because it'll show something worth giving him time for. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If he can win and show that he's learned from Saturday, this is definitely the preferable option. For one, 3 points are absolutely crucial for us right now, but also because it'll show something worth giving him time for. 

So if he loses against Leicester, you'll accept a loss at Southampton just to see him off, I know I would.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I still want Aston Villa to win. Having Gerrard as manager means that our chance of winning is drastically reduced, and that is something I would like to end. 
Still wishing that Aston Villa loses, to move forward Gerrard departure do not sit right with me. In my view there is enough reasons in what he does and doesn’t do as manager, to sack him.
The question is how bad does it need to be before the club takes action. I’m sure Gerrard is more than capable to mess up the team selection and tactics against Leicester and Southampton to lose both of them, without me wishing that we lose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

At a point now where I’m eye-scanning the pages of this thread and imagining I get a dollar every time I see the word IF.

If, and it’s a big if, this does start to happen hopefully you will share your wealth with other VT’ers.

If not, we’ll all do our best to stop all the if’s.

If that works for you?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If, and it’s a big if, this does start to happen hopefully you will share your wealth with other VT’ers.

If not, we’ll all do our best to stop all the if’s.

If that works for you?

All sounds a bit iffy to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

At a point now where I’m eye-scanning the pages of this thread and imagining I get a dollar every time I see the word IF.

The best part of being a fan is that you can just make stuff up in your head and pretend it will inevitably be so. 

Then you can build an argument around that either won't get tested against reality or you can just quietly forget if wrong. 

I have accepted that I am at a massive information disadvantage compared to the club, and while I have massive missgivings about Gerrard, I have to trust the club to pull the trigger at the proper moment if needed.

Until then, may he won every single game until he is gone.

• Like 1

Anyone hoping for a Villa defeat to see the demise of Gerrard is something I cannot agree with.

Whilst he is Manager I will hope we win, and what perfect games coming up for us to get six points. It surely must be very realistic; seven points from three games puts us back on track.

Like others have said our squad and first eleven is the best since O'Neill and we need to start winning.

• Like 2

There are plenty of reasons to part company with SG but I think we’re only looking at half of the equation. Sacking him without a much better alternative lined up is just not going to happen. We can’t end up with a panic ill thought out replacement that puts us back at square one in a few months time. 

The next guy has to be a manager who can take us where our ambitions want us to be. If that’s why SG is still our manager then I’m fine with that. We don’t want the next Remi Garde or Steve Bruce lined up. If the man is taking time to find/get then so be it. A few points in the bag helps a little in the process and buys the club, probably not SG at this point, some time. 

The club don’t want to be on their knees during this process and no one wants to inherit a complete lane duck. I doubt we’re about to go on a 5 or 6 game winning streak and if we do then he’ll have earned the right to continue. 

9 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Imagine we did win 5/6 games in a row… I wonder how much affect that would have on some of us fan’s opinion’s. 

It would have a huge effect, obviously. It would demonstrate that there has been a sustained upturn in performance levels - something that has been demonstrably missing soon after his arrival. 

• Like 3

Â