Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say he’s the worst manager we’ve ever had tbh. McLeish might spring to mind but he was professional, somewhat respected and kept a shit team in the league. Sherwood was a joke but he did lead us to a cup final and was at least attempting to make it. Gerrard offers absolutely nothing in terms of coaching, management; just anything at all. He’s a truly awful awful manager. He might as well not be there half the time. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

By what statistic? What an empty and incorrect statement. Off the top of my Garde and Di Matteo have worse win percentages.

Di Matteo lost 4 in 12 33%

Remi lost 13 in 26 50%

Gerrard has lost 17 in 32 53%

So by loss % SG is the worst of the 3.

SG is marginally better on points per game (1.1 vs 0.9), but quite a lot better on win percentage (38% vs 18% & 9%)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

So many happy people on this thread. 

Cons: we have 3 points after 4 games, look horrific, and it'll take a miracle for us to be on more than 3 after 6 games

Pros: Gerrard's boots are delicious

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say he’s the worst manager we’ve ever had tbh. McLeish might spring to mind but he was professional, somewhat respected and kept a shit team in the league. Sherwood was a joke but he did lead us to a cup final and was at least attempting to make it. Gerrard offers absolutely nothing in terms of coaching, management; just anything at all. He’s a truly awful awful manager. He might as well not be there half the time. 

Billy McNeill before your time eh?

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

By what statistic? What an empty and incorrect statement. Off the top of my Garde and Di Matteo have worse win percentages.

His stat is implying loss percentage. But even that I’m not sure is correct. I’m no good at maths.

edit. Turns out I was right.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If LUKE is done, can't see how anyone else can't be. Widely regarded as one of the most positive podcasters.

Hopefully this applies in thread mods!

Can't wait for Neil's thoughts.

Perhaps only canadian Pete left among the supporters then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Yep, we knew the football wouldn't be great under Bruce but we needed an actual manager in after that other fraud Di Matteo to steady the ship and knew he would do that.

Exactly 

Bruce was a step in the right direction.

Steadied a ship before Smith.

This guy is aiming straight for an iceberg and is blaming the passengers for it.

• Like 1

I just can't understand why he wants to play this formation. I guess he knows (or someone at the club knows) it's messed up and that's why they tried to sign Sarr. Surely you wouldn't sign him for this nonsense.

I also blame the Ings signing for a lot of this, first Deano now Gerrard trying to shoehorn in 2 strikers. We need a main striker and back up not two starters. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't have anger towards him. I feel a bit sorry for him. 

I'm annoyed that we chucked Smith away for this. That all that goodwill and positivity since that 10 game winning run in the championship has gone. Purslow needs to be held responsible for that. Its quite some feat to spending so much money and destroy that goodwill. 

I have no idea where his career goes from here. Surely no premier league team takes a chance on him. 

I was excited by the appointment and it seemed surreal that the Stephen Gerrard was associated with Aston Villa. 

But it hasn't worked. It's not looked like working for so long. I don't see anything that he offers us anymore and can't see any point in continuing with the project a day more. 

Its just very disappointing 

The millions we'll pay him to have him leave will make him feel better I'm sure. If I wasn't good at my job I'd be sacked and told to f*** off.

So tired of this shit, what an utter mess.

The sooner this is over, the better - there is no other solution.

I don’t even want to see or hear anything backing this waste of space. He’s just causing us misery…

We staked everything on this guy and have just thrown away everything positive and good about us in terms of the football side and connection with fans. All the goodwill has gone in that respect. This git can’t even be bothered to acknowledge our fans - there is no connection there. No relationship. He is all about himself, massive ego yet he’s so shit at his job.

No apologies, no regrets, he just deflects blame and throws his players under the bus. I think I despise him…

I’m too drained and exhausted to say much more, everything’s already been covered anyway..

This downward spiral has to end, it is hurting this club and us fans… we’re going nowhere but down unless we make a change…

Maybe I’ll just post up a few stats… grim reading… more evidence that we do not have a manager who is fit for his job.

He needs to go, as soon as possible…

Fed up.

We used to have someone who was both a better manager and a better man… and now we’ve ended up with this…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't have anger towards him. I feel a bit sorry for him. 

I'm annoyed that we chucked Smith away for this. That all that goodwill and positivity since that 10 game winning run in the championship has gone. Purslow needs to be held responsible for that. Its quite some feat to spending so much money and destroy that goodwill. 

I have no idea where his career goes from here. Surely no premier league team takes a chance on him. 

I was excited by the appointment and it seemed surreal that the Stephen Gerrard was associated with Aston Villa. 

But it hasn't worked. It's not looked like working for so long. I don't see anything that he offers us anymore and can't see any point in continuing with the project a day more. 

Its just very disappointing 

Yeah I’m in the same boat. As frustrated as I am it is a bit sad when things like this go bad. I assume he came in with the best intentions of growing this club but it does feel like the time to make a change.

Maybe he can go to a Championship team and work his way back up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That all that goodwill and positivity since that 10 game winning run in the championship has gone

It went on for long after that, the wheels came off when Terry, O'Kelly and Gucci Joe all left. Dean identified the areas to sign players that he needed but by pure bad luck he never got to play his best side for more than a half here or there. 

Gerrard has had a better squad to work with, time too now. The fact that we are a tactical mess (the average position charts are like a Picasso on acid version of City or Liverpool's) and the players quite clearly have no idea what to do half the time is squarely his responsibility.

Â