Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

We're in a precarious situation right now. I don't think anybody will deny that we need more players. And,  Gerrard has said the board are backing him to get players in. So, what happens if we lose tomorrow? 

I think even the most ardent supporter would expect us to lose the next two league games after West Ham,  if we lose tomorrow. Say we lost the next three by 1-0, 2-1 and 3-0 we would be sat with 3 points and a - 8 goal difference after 6 games. That would probably see us close to the bottom of the table also. On top of that,  the transfer window will be closed. We would be in a poor place because the fans will have well and truly turned against him by then. 

If we lose tomorrow, does anyone think that Purslow and the owners may decide to sack him to give his successor the remainder of the window to do business? 

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

We're in a precarious situation right now. I don't think anybody will deny that we need more players. And,  Gerrard has said the board are backing him to get players in. So, what happens if we lose tomorrow? 

I think even the most ardent supporter would expect us to lose the next two league games after West Ham,  if we lose tomorrow. Say we lost the next three by 1-0, 2-1 and 3-0 we would be sat with 3 points and a - 8 goal difference after 6 games. That would probably see us close to the bottom of the table also. On top of that,  the transfer window will be closed. We would be in a poor place because the fans will have well and truly turned against him by then. 

If we lose tomorrow, does anyone think that Purslow and the owners may decide to sack him to give his successor the remainder of the window to do business? 

Our club structure should shouldn’t be manager dependent, we should buy against the structure that all the development teams are playing.

So buy the right players for the club, not the manager

Edited by macandally

9 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That's wishful thinking, TBH.  Pretty sure Gerrard will be given until the international break at the least, regardless of results.  That's 5 more matches and I can't see us picking up any more than 4 points during that run, being as optimistic as I can.  His days are numbered at this rate, just a matter of being patient.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I would love to see an argument in favour of Gerrard that isn't a.) Berating people for being critical of him, b.) Urging patience, just for the sake of it or c.) "Look at Arteta".

Ok. Gerrard is a tactical genius and legendary man manager. 

P. S. I'm a compulsive liar. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Don’t disagree, but I think losing to Man City carries less weight than losing to Bournemouth does when considering a change of management.

I agree to an extent, but I think the owners won’t caveat it in that sense.  They want top 4, you have to go toe to toe like Newcastle is.

I am pretty sure our owners are looking at Newcastle now and trying to work out why their investment isn’t bearing similar results 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

It suits the anti Gerard agenda that keeps being spouted over and over again by the same posters. 

One good thing that will come about if we lose tomorrow is BS like this will stop being posted.

Fairly likely we'll be on 3 from an available 18 points if we do lose tomorrow.

• Like 1

After the next three games we can look at our results and league position and compare them with Brighton and Newcastle. They both have managers/coaches that I respect and currently they look far more qualified for the Premier league than Gerrard. Good luck SG because this is where we enter a critical stage and you need to step up.

45 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's not a agenda chap. 3 wins in 15 games. It's a results business and this Manager is not briniging results. My goodness, I'm very much doubting he even knows his best 11 yet.

Yep results speak for themselves and we haven't improved , no identity or system and we just keep on signing players hoping for the best.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

One good thing that will come about if we lose tomorrow is BS like this will stop being posted.

Fairly likely we'll be on 3 from an available 18 points if we do lose tomorrow.

I agree, but I still hope we win today. I know the standard set by the sacking of Smith was five loses in a row and your out, and the way Gerrard is managing the team it will happen at some point. Maybe he can keep himself in the job for some time by winning one game and lose 3-4 games before winning an other. That will be terrible for Villa, and I hope we can get a proper manager soon.

As you said if we lose today, it is almost certain we would end up with four loses in a row in the league, because it’s unlikely we get anything from Arsenal and ManC. And most like the losing streak will continue against Leicester and Southampton, because in addition to all other problems, the any traces confidence should be dead and buried after four loses. Meaning we go into the international break with 3 points out of 24. It is just too scary, and I hope it don’t be that bad.

By the logic on this thread we will lose to Liverpool 11-0 so I’m dreading that game. That’s if Gerrard is still in charge by then that is. 

Lose tomorrow and it will probably be 4 defeats on the bounce this time next week. Then he will most likely be sacked. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

And most like the losing streak will continue against Leicester and Southampton, because in addition to all other problems, the any traces confidence should be dead and buried after four loses. Meaning we go into the international break with 3 points out of 24. It is just too scary, and I hope it don’t be that bad.

That cannot be allowed to happen… he has to go beforehand if it’s looking like that will be the case… we can’t take that kind of risk…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

By the logic on this thread we will lose to Liverpool 11-0 so I’m dreading that game. That’s if Gerrard is still in charge by then that is. 

Lose tomorrow and it will probably be 4 defeats on the bounce this time next week. Then he will most likely be sacked. 

Gerrard would be delighted to lose to Liverpool 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I don't like The Athletic but they've just sent a very good question to my inbox 😂

Screenshot_20220827-222000_Email.jpg

At least someones asking the question 

This is the biggest issue for me, I'd understand an argument to persist with him if you could see what he wants us to be... But personally I can't, I don't know what he's trying to do, agree that he doesn't know his best 11 and now I'm not convinced the players are performing at 100% for him either 

We're a right **** mess 

• Sad 1

Â