Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Ahh, this old comment.

Goes along with "He ain't going anywhere", "It'll take alot more than 5 loses", "The board will give him the time, "There is no one else we could get".

We have been here before with Smith, a Villa man, most were wrong. If he loses tomorrow against the Spam, he'll be on his last legs, cause we ain't beating Arsenal or Man City with Gerrard at the helm.

'This old comment' answered with the old answer.

He will be given every possible chance to succeed,  more than Smith got, simply because its purslows man.

I'm not saying its right but he will be given time; Purslow even said so, so ots not even my argument. 

Keeping your plans close to your chest is a good way to do business, but it creates a vacuum into which fans pour all their anxieties and frustration when things appear to stall and results are poor.

Gerrard needs a win tomorrow or recent muddled events may well encourage an angry vocal reaction from fans. So far it has mainly been social media, but if it spreads to boots on the ground he will have an uphill task ahead of him.

I'm putting out good vibes for a Villa home win tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

'This old comment' answered with the old answer.

He will be given every possible chance to succeed,  more than Smith got, simply because its purslows man.

I'm not saying its right but he will be given time; Purslow even said so, so ots not even my argument. 

If he don't win the next 3 you don't think the fans booing and hounding him out at VP will make any difference? I think your about to be shocked. It won't be up to Purslow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I was unsure of Gerrard at the start. I supported him and will continue to do so.

I understood that maybe we didn't have the right team for him at the start, he needed a window or two. Maybe he needed a pre-season. Maybe he needed to choose his own captain or get more time with his own coaching team with the players.

So far he's had everything I can think the club could give him. I don't see a style of play or a game plan.

Yes, as somebody who was sceptical at the start, naturally my fuse is maybe shorter than it would have been with Dean.

But, it's not from an irrational dislike of Gerrard, it's important that's understood. Having played this game before with Lerner & O'Neil, I'm just concerned that Gerrard is wasting our chance, perhaps one of our last chances, at breaking the Top 6, Top 4, making something meaningful. 

The plan, desire, investment is all there, better then under Lerner infact. This feels more realistic than it did under Lerner. The stakes, money and competition are all bigger and harder than in 2007 but it feels so professionally run that we can make this work....

The coaching and the management is not at the same level currently. Hopefully it comes, but my short temper is because I see us making mistakes we've made before - not because I'm irrationally and determinedly Gerrard Out since November.

Yeah I feel the same. We're burning through the war chest with someone incompetent at the helm

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Honestly this is a horrible thought.

Especially for those of us who have seen us on the cusp, only to throw away opportunities and go into a spiral of mediocrity.

Don't get me wrong, I often argue with people that the one thing which keeps me, is my utmost faith in the owners, but the thought of stagnating as " lesser " clubs progress is quite deotessing.

Also, if we stagnate for a few seasons little would point to us picking up speed later.

The current owners could well have had second thoughts about the ambition by then, plus in three years we would likely need an expensive rebuild as many recent signings would be 32-33.

32 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Purslow appointed Smith as well let’s remember. I take your point but Purslow is a shark (that’s not a criticism) - if he hits the point he thinks it would be better to sack Gerrard, he’ll sack him just like he did Smith.

15 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah I feel the same. We're burning through the war chest with someone incompetent at the helm

What war chest? We've less than a 30m net spend on transfer fees the last 2 years. 

8 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Purslow appointed Smith as well let’s remember. I take your point but Purslow is a shark (that’s not a criticism) - if he hits the point he thinks it would be better to sack Gerrard, he’ll sack him just like he did Smith.

Pretty sure Purslow has shares in the club so has a financial interest,  so he will have no issue in sacking Gerrard when needed, which could be very soon!

I’ve been watching the Arsenal All or Nothing series, and looking at the way Arteta drives the players going into games and how they approach matches it is no surprise that there has been an upturn in results - note the poor start they had last year and how that turned around. Whilst watching the series, I couldn’t help by try to Imagine Gerrard being like Artera in his approach - there is no way any of the awesome stuff goes on behind the scenes. The entire  Arsenal coaching team are on the same page, it’s fantastic. 

Edited by Tayls

25 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Also, if we stagnate for a few seasons little would point to us picking up speed later.

The current owners could well have had second thoughts about the ambition by then, plus in three years we would likely need an expensive rebuild as many recent signings would be 32-33.

Yep, if we don’t show any real progress nor achieve anything after everything they have invested in the club… they will be off. What’s the point? Successful businessmen surely don’t enjoy wasting money and getting nowhere…

If we carry on like this, they’ll have to act… I wonder what their thoughts are? We’ll never know 😆

26 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He comes across as a bit of a brown noser… can be a bit “cringe” at times as well… I recall him grabbing Jack at every opportunity and he’s probably in love with Stevie G what with his Liverpool connections…

But, he’s really good at his actual job in terms of the business and commercial side of things. That’s where he should be focussed, not all that comfortable with him interfering with actual football matters.

This is the guy that pursued Danny Drinkwater 🍞 for us…

• Like 1

When Gerrard leaves this club we are going to be in an awful state, the players he wants are joke signings if rumours of Dawson from west spam are accurate.

He's bombing all the actual players out for friends who.simy cannot be trusted in a villa shirt.

Mcginn the biggest joke I of the lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, villan501 said:

When Gerrard leaves this club we are going to be in an awful state, the players he wants are joke signings if rumours of Dawson from west spam are accurate.

He's bombing all the actual players out for friends who.simy cannot be trusted in a villa shirt.

Carlos, Kamara, Bissouma, Bentacur, etc are players he " wanted " to be fair.

Not sure how we can be taking tabloid reports about stop gap signings as players he " wants ".

Now this isn't a comment about the actual playing style or results etc, but the signings are arguably the strongest point this far.

Even Chambers has proved to be a good signing.

Lol

10 hours ago, villan501 said:

Just when I feared that we couldn't get worse than having Gerrard, now we're actually going to be punished in a kind of post-Gerrard Hell for our Gerrard-approving sins? OMG. Where does it all end? Will my grandchildren be marked with the Gerrard beast? 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If he don't win the next 3 you don't think the fans booing and hounding him out at VP will make any difference? I think your about to be shocked. It won't be up to Purslow.

I think you are close. If he loses the next four on the trot, that's it, I would predict. I think that's when we're firmly into a crisis. A loss to the Foxes on 10 Sept. would be pretty bad if we lost the previous.  I still think we'd be fools to sack him before the end of October, but sadly, we've proven we sack quickly, not quite to Chelsea-like standards, but pretty quickly. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

39 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

It suits the anti Gerard agenda that keeps being spouted over and over again by the same posters. 

It’s because we are massively underperforming.

Dear god, can we get rid of this “agenda” shite, he is judged on results and he is not delivering 

• Like 4

Â