Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

37 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

The wonders of having a manager with a clear idea of how they want to play against the particular opposition and players understanding basic playing patterns like channeling everything down the flanks and easily defending the countless useless crosses. 

Parker wiped the floor with Gerrard and won them 3 points, probably their easiest game of the season as well. 

Wasn't rocket science either, just doing the basics. Staying compact and disciplined and knowing your job in the shape and just concentrating on that. It'll be their bread and butter all season long, unluckily for them they won't be playing us every week.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I know this is a forum for views and opinions, but honestly!

Can we not at least give Gerrard and this side more than one game this new season before we cast judgement?

It's a weird one for me, usually after a loss I'd be pissed but by the time Monday comes around I'll be over it looking forward to the next game. I'm partially looking forward to the Everton game, but I'm super concerned and it's not really just based off the Bournemouth game. The Bournemouth game just made me more concerned tbh, I think for me it's a mix of the excitement of a new season then coming out flat and seeing the same problems over again. 

I'm not going to totally close the book on Gerrard yet, as I want him to do well for the betterment of Villa however my concerns are still there with everything. I said yesterday that everything right now feels toxic at the club, part of it falls on Gerrard with how he's handled certain players, a part of it is fans not giving him a chance, the performance on the field and the disconnect that quite a few feel between club and fans.

The club doesn't just need one good result we need to see a pattern of good results and I'm sure everything will calm down.

Over to you Gerrard and management.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

It's a weird one for me, usually after a loss I'd be pissed but by the time Monday comes around I'll be over it looking forward to the next game. I'm partially looking forward to the Everton game, but I'm super concerned and it's not really just based off the Bournemouth game. The Bournemouth game just made me more concerned tbh, I think for me it's a mix of the excitement of a new season then coming out flat and seeing the same problems over again. 

I'm not going to totally close the book on Gerrard yet, as I want him to do well for the betterment of Villa however my concerns are still there with everything. I said yesterday that everything right now feels toxic at the club, part of it falls on Gerrard with how he's handled certain players, a part of it is fans not giving him a chance, the performance on the field and the disconnect that quite a few feel between club and fans.

The club doesn't just need one good result we need to see a pattern of good results and I'm sure everything will calm down.

Over to you Gerrard and management.

Yep, it's not the Bournemouth game, that's just the straw that broke the camel's back (or something like that).

I was already worried during the 12 previous games last season, the Bournemouth game just cemented the feeling that's been growing since around March.

I need to see that he has a plan, and that he is tactically better than around 14 other managers in the league.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

I think the broiling sun is getting to people. Every managerial appointment is a risk, and this came with extra risk due to many factors. It isn't working so far, but SG should be given the same latitude of the opening 11 games as Dean Smith had (who earned way more time to get it right).

It doesn't feel toxic just yet to me, but if the away fans are already complaining and Villa Park turns, it's the end for Gerrard. Everything points to him going at the moment, but I really hope he turns it round, for our sake, not his. I care as much about his career goals as I do Lampard's and Rooney's or whichever massive ego you could mention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You got the job on a technicality of a Tory mate who recommended you. You're nothing, you're a fool and you're a waste of time. Goodnight.

You've got a very early bedtime.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You got the job on a technicality of a Tory mate who recommended you. You're nothing, you're a fool and you're a waste of time. Goodnight.

😂😂

Andy Tate lives on

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

There isn't really any more to say at the moment, as Gerrard isn't getting sacked any time soon. Let's see where we are after the next 5 games then make a judgement call. I'm not a fan but will give him the benefit of the doubt until then. 

Yep. Not that I think anything is going to change to be honest, but at least give him some rope and let him do the rest. It's only fair. I just worry we'll have to write off another season as transitional now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

There isn't really any more to say at the moment, as Gerrard isn't getting sacked any time soon. Let's see where we are after the next 5 games then make a judgement call. I'm not a fan but will give him the benefit of the doubt until then. 

I’m predicting 1 win max before the Leicester game.

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Yeah we'd have to be Bournemouth levels of toilet 6 more times for him to get the boot.

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Let's hope that plays out so we can get someone decent in and get our season started.

christ are we at the "hope we lose so he's sacked" stage already? don't think we've seen posts like this since the bruce days

it's one thing to believe that he's not the man to take us forward, but to hope we lose smacks of having a personal agenda

Richard Keys and Simon Jordan are bang on in their comments. I know Keys is an arrogant so and so, however he is right in the sense that Gerrard has mucked up and made a big call which has backfired. Split the dressing room down the middle, you will have pro and anti mings factions, divisions in the squad with players sitting separately in their own groups in the canteen, on the coaches. The most prescient thing he said is that small problems snowball and turn into bigger issues. We cannot regress and let that happen, we all remember the toxicity of the 15/16 season.

Simon Jordan said there is very real jeopardy on Gerrard at this moment in time and its true, its not only us supporters who are seeing the signs, others in the game or those who are connected to it are not hearing good things about the dressing room at this moment in time which is very concerning for our prospects this season.

need to nip it in the bud now before it spirals

There's definately been a fall out, whether it effects our game I don't think we will even notice, as it'll be the same as last season, lose against anyone half decent and win against the shite, although we couldn't even manage that Saturday.

An Everton win should change no one's opinion until we have showed a good game and beat someone decent.

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

christ are we at the "hope we lose so he's sacked" stage already? don't think we've seen posts like this since the bruce days

it's one thing to believe that he's not the man to take us forward, but to hope we lose smacks of having a personal agenda

Is a guy outside VP this weekend selling cabbages 😛

2 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Richard Keys and Simon Jordan are bang on in their comments. I know Keys is an arrogant so and so, however he is right in the sense that Gerrard has mucked up and made a big call which has backfired. Split the dressing room down the middle, you will have pro and anti mings factions, divisions in the squad with players sitting separately in their own groups in the canteen, on the coaches. The most prescient thing he said is that small problems snowball and turn into bigger issues. We cannot regress and let that happen, we all remember the toxicity of the 15/16 season.

Simon Jordan said there is very real jeopardy on Gerrard at this moment in time and its true, its not only us supporters who are seeing the signs, others in the game or those who are connected to it are not hearing good things about the dressing room at this moment in time which is very concerning for our prospects this season.

need to nip it in the bud now before it spirals

Identifying the true leaders (not always the loudest) seems crucial for a new manager arriving. Tuchel apparently made the call more or less the first day at Chelsea. When it’s done, things can move forward and there doesn’t have to be much fuss about it.

Gerrard has seemed to almost enjoy creating power struggles, questioning Mings in the spring and then waiting months before demoting him, bringing things up in public. Immature or just stupid? Or maybe anything to avoid focus on tactics, which doesn’t appear to interest him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

others in the game or those who are connected to it are not hearing good things about the dressing room at this moment in time which is very concerning for our prospects this season.

If this is out and about. We need to nip it in the bud and cut our losses. 

I'm as confident now with Gerrard as I was with Sherwood, this will be his last job in management. 

• Like 1

Â