Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Looking at the next 5 games the problem now if we don't beat Everton I don't see where the next win is coming from. 

I can't see us beating Palace away (although I appreciate we won the corresponding match last season), West Ham at home, Arsenal away or Man City at home.

Very soon the stats could be 2 wins in 17 games. Even if we win vs Everton we could well be looking at 3 wins in 17.

The pressure deserves to mount if we continue this dire form and that happens.

With a whole pre-season to sort out the glaring issues we've still not resolved some of them and that is on Gerrard.

I predicted earlier in this thread that we would be bottom with no points from 5 games.

He needs to pull a rabbit out a hat but I I don’t think he can.   He could start by picking the best team on form, rather than the ones he hasn’t ostracised 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Except for Ramsey's short burst of form, is there any single player for us, that has improved since Gerrard came in?

Last seasons player of the season ( Cash ), as well as Ramsey , and McGinn were outstanding for a while, as was Nakamba before his injury.

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Agreed. I think we all run the risk of *almost* enjoying the negativity. 

Exhibit A right under you.... lol

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

I predicted earlier in this thread that we would be bottom with no points from 5 games.

19 minutes ago, skarroki said:

This is exactly where I'm at with it too. Which is why I put him being pals with Purslow as an issue, they'll be too much leniency from high for his shortcomings and he'll get away with asking too much, because if this appointment is deemed a failure then Purslow will have questions to answer for so single-mindedly chasing someone he's worked with before over other solid candidates. 

Don’t get this pals with Purslow nonsense you genuinely think Gerrard in his playing days went for drinks and curry with the CEO?  A man 18 years older than him from a totally different background?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Exhibit A right under you.... lol

Call it what you want, but how confident are you that won’t be the case?

If you think I am enjoying this you are as deluded as Gerrard.  Watching somebody dismantle the dressing room positivity and blame everyone but himself is suicidal and shows he should be out on his arse

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Carlton Cole ( Yes i know ) lol was on Talksport yesterday.

He said as a player, they are always aware that literally anything can happen on opening day, and that it takes a while for players and teams to acclimatise and get into any sort of rhythm or structure.

I'm clutching at all the straws I can find.

Opening day does tend to present alot of shocks though?

He did score on the opening day for us.

He has a point 😂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Don’t get this pals with Purslow nonsense you genuinely think Gerrard in his playing days went for drinks and curry with the CEO?  A man 18 years older than him from a totally different background?

I think it's weird but it was well documented they'd worked together before and knew each other and Purslow was the man pushing for Gerrard. 

It wasn't exactly a classic Lange appointment put it that way. 

19 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

No, they’re not mates. As you say, they’re different ages and with very different backgrounds.

Purslow and his family are from Merseyside and huge Liverpool fans. CP always had a season ticket at Anfield. Gerrard, as a club icon, is not surprisingly Purslow’s idol. He thinks Gerrard is an incredible personality and destined for great things.

What Gerrard thinks about it I don’t know, but having Purslow as an admirer can of course be beneficial career wise.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I never said that, you are putting words into my mouth...due to inconsistencies with performances of certain players we are all in agreement (are we not) that players are inconsistent.

It makes it very difficult to select a first eleven, @JAMAICAN-VILLAN said it himself in response that perhaps players look awesome in training yet aren't doing it on a matchday. It would be very disheartening for a manager if this was the case. But when do you make the call to change, the feeling maybe well give them another game to prove they can perform. I don't know the answers yet it seems like we are also going around in circles. It's a debate, there are no answers currently and we watch and wait as Gerrard is going nowhere so we live in hope we get a response.

Coutinho was dropped last season against Burnley so it is not beyond the realms of possibility. I think we should certainly be looking at using him sparingly, perhaps more at home than away.

Gerrard as a rookie manager is trying to assert himself and nail his colours to the mast, there will be casualties along the way. Not that I agree with them but again we have to hope it is for the best and he knows what he is doing.

There are many who are jumping on our opening day defeat as "I told you so" yet the season is long and Arsenal were in a similar predicament for a few matches at the beginning of last season yet they sorted it out. Let us hope we can achieve something similar rather than just wishing Gerrard gets the sack or making our mind up too soon. As I say he isn't going anywhere just yet.

I want Gerrard to be a success because it means Villa are a success but while some focus that it was day one, for a lot of us it’s just continuation of last season.  We keep hoping that next game it changes and again we hope it changes for the Everton game, it just gets a little harder game after game to be positive for the next game when it’s the same again.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

People have been saying this for six months. Why would anyone care if other team's think it's funny we improve on our manager?

Couldn't give a monkeys what anyone else thinks.

You know what they'll find funny? A squad that has a top 8 wage bill being in a relegation battle.

where's your evidence, it would be any better?......it could be worse....its a stupid suggestion at present.

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m still pissed off but I’m ready to rein it in and start looking forward to Everton. Season is long, yesterday doesn’t have to define us as awful as it was.

I'm usually optimistic and this is typically my default position, but I'm struggling to justify it right now. He's shown almost no indications that this is anything other than the norm. This is how we played for I want to say a good 50% of last season at least and all of preseason. He's given previous little to hold on to to be optimistic about. The Gerrard Ball of November - January is so long ago now I can't consider it anything other than a blip. 

I want to think he's going to turn it around but in my heart of hearts I don't think it has it in him, based on almost 30 games of evidence now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm usually optimistic and this is typically my default position, but I'm struggling to justify it right now. He's shown almost no indications that this is anything other than the norm. This is how we played for I want to say a good 50% of last season at least and all of preseason. He's given previous little to hold on to to be optimistic about. The Gerrard Ball of November - January is so long ago now I can't consider it anything other than a blip. 

I want to think he's going to turn it around but in my heart of hearts I don't think it has it in him, based on almost 30 games of evidence now.

I hear you and I’m certainly not going to argue. I do think we have better in us both individually and collectively than we showed yesterday. So I’m going to try to cling to that for a few more games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

where's your evidence, it would be any better?......it could be worse....its a stupid suggestion at present.

How can it get worse when we have an upgraded Sherwood in charge who is clueless

59 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

When the manager appears to have no coaching ability, poor man management skills, and zero tactical nous, it does beg the question... what are we paying him for?

He goes to people's houses and encourages them to sign for us

When he came in, I didn't really think of his past much, I just thought what a player he was, an that he had big potential as a manager taking rangers to the title. He also talked a good game with a top coach at hand in Beale. Well with Beale looking like a bit of a fraud at his new club, Gerrard is starting to look like the scouse, arrogant, ex Liverpool player I didn't want to remember.

Â