Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think i have ever seen such vitriol against a manager on here, for no real good reason tbh.

Gerrard for me, has done some things wrong, some things right, but he will also get the summer window to start to build his own team and will probably get a good chunk of next season at the very least to show what he can, or cant do......., anyone who thinks he will get sacked this season (unless he somehow gets us relegated), is out of their mind.

i understand some arent convinced with regard to Gerrard, but some of the comments are just clear agenda's, its pretty sad to see tbh.

i think the liverpool connection has really rubbed some folk up the wrong way. that was clear when we appointed him and numerous people were saying he was just using us as a stepping stone. we've just gone from a boyhood villa fan to a liverpool fan...we've gone from one of our own to someone whose grown up supporting a generally disliked club.

for the record it never bothered me...but i do think it was a factor.

our fanbase also doesn't seem to like managers who are well liked by the media. it was (and still is) a frequent dig with regards to bruce, and i've seen "gerrards media mates" or similar a number of times. we should have liked seeing our manager on a popular youtube channel the overlap, but it pissed so many people off.

these are just theories of course. it's just funny that people have quickly forgotten those 3 games in a row where we played good stuff just because we dropped a few points against good sides.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So now, the points during the " new manager bounce " don't count hey? Is there a scientific calculation for exactly how long or short " new manager bounce " is?

yes. the scientific calculation is: "if we lose our first 5 then we will count them in his PPG number but if we start well then we discount them and just say it was because of a new manager bounce"

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think the liverpool connection has really rubbed some folk up the wrong way. that was clear when we appointed him and numerous people were saying he was just using us as a stepping stone. we've just gone from a boyhood villa fan to a liverpool fan...we've gone from one of our own to someone whose grown up supporting a generally disliked club.

our fanbase also doesn't seem to like managers who are well liked by the media. it was (and still is) a frequent dig with regards to bruce, and i've seen "gerrards media mates" or similar a number of times. we should have liked seeing our manager on a popular youtube channel the overlap, but it pissed so many people off.

these are just theories of course. it's just funny that people have quickly forgotten those 3 games in a row where we played good stuff just because we dropped a few points against good sides.

I recall certain posters bringing up unpleasant stuff he’s done on and off of the pitch even before he signed the contract. That’s fine, it’s just clear that some weren’t ever going to accept him. No matter what. Doesn’t matter how well or not we play, it ultimately comes down to a personal disdain. Just wish some were more honest about it. Gerrard is here for the long run regardless. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

Again as I said before he’s on 1 ppg in 2022. Has 15 points in 15 games and also knocked out the cup.  I think it’s disingenuous including the new managerial bounce and all the initial fanfare of Stevie G, the media daring coming back to the PL. when things got back to normal and based on current form we are 1 ppg and inconsistent leaning towards mainly poor.

There are always mitigating factors for anything as Smith found out didn’t count when he got the sack despite all the mitigating factors he had.

i dont get this. why do you not count the initial games? the new manager bounce is a myth anyway IMO. so rarely have we seen it in recent years and it's not something generally seen as much anymore. we didn't have it with bruce or smith.

you mentioned getting knocked out of the cup as a negative when anyone watching that game knows we deserved to win...or had you conveniently forgotten that?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

No i didn’t and hence why, as you know, I didn’t believe at the time he should’ve been hired and so far my reservations are being validated.  I never expected us to be turning over big teams regularly but maybe nick an unexpected win occasionally which we did under Smith but haven’t looked close under Gerrard.  I expected an “upgrade” on Smith and even with this bunch I expected to fight for closer to 50+ points this season.  I didn’t expect to go on a run of 15 points in 15 games, desperately hoping/praying we can just about beat relegation fodder.  I expected to see more from individuals, I expected to see more of Gerrards personality in the team but taking into account our DM issues.  I don’t see any of that…watching Villa at the moment is meh….

The word is apathy.  How is that possible with a squad that includes Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Traore, Watkins, Ings, Digne, Cash to name just a few exciting attack minded players.  How are our players scoring and playing better for their national teams like the last round of internationals with McGinn, Watkins, Mings, Bailey and Coutinho.

Gerrard needs time but I’m concerned with him for many reasons and not just results but systems, tactics, drive, cohesion, subs, favourites and coaching.  Just need this season over and let’s hope the summer brings a change, not just players but things start moulding together and things start to work.

I share some of those thoughts too.....but I do have reservations about the type of players we have in abundance, yet still have a sparse offering when it comes to defensive nous......its intereseting too How Newcastle chose the defensive route too, as opposed to an attacking route to strenghten their team.

I just have a feeling we have gone about it wrong ,once again, albeit at the same time recognising the talent of Digne and Coutinho.....maybe its in advance of what comes in the summer.

I hope we strengthen in the Summer, where I expect us to......not just sign players, because they are good players,(but sign them because they are the RIGHT players), that doesn't work as Man U have found to their cost.

I still have faith he will get it right.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I keep reading this over and over.

Who the **** cares?!

Laughing stock according to who? Troll football lad accounts? Keeping a manager not good enough and allowing him to spend hundreds of millions is far worse than acting quickly to correct a mistake.

If we got the definitive upgrade we should have when Smith left, there'd be no problem.

Gary Neville, Carragher, Jeff Stelling the Sky brigade of muppets

Look at AC Milan, hired Giampaolo with some fanfare and after 7 games realised he wasnt all that and sacked him. Now 2.5 seasons later are top of Serie A and qualified this season for the Champions League for first time in a decade

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think that is a brave Post....and a very apt one.

Bravo

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I haven't seen too many personal digs to be fair, but a lot of that sounds like criticisms aimed at the board (mostly Purslow?), rather than irrational hatred of Gerrard (though I'm sure there's some of that too). 

Gerrard is Gerrard, an inexperienced manager cutting his teeth in the hardest league in the world. It was never going to be easy. It's not his fault, and I think most people recognize this. 

The irony is.....If he was the fully all singing all dancing top of the range manager.......why would he come to Villa in 16th place in the league and 2 points off the relegation places?

He was told in his interview, a rebuild was necessary, that is no slight on Dean Smith, Dean built a team for promotion and consolidation, not for Europe.

The club want a manager with a name who can attract top players.....like it or lump it, thats the facts.....SG fits that bill ......young up and coming manager with bags of potential, that world football, know who he is....its a business too and the media love him....that has to be good for us.

This squad was built for where we are now.....we have to build one to move to where we want to be......and that's one of the reasons SG was chosen.

If SG was a Klopp or Guardiola...... we wouldn't have got him......In much the same way as if Paul Mcgrath was the sober minded perfect professional.....we wouldn't have got him either.

We have to understand what we are, where we are.....and where we want to get to.......I think our hierarchy do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

The club want a manager with a name who can attract top players

I mean. Coutinho is a personal friend. Given the lack of progressing players under his watch, if I was a player looking for development I'd look at Gerrard as someone with a bit of stardust but I'd have zero idea of his ability to help me improve as a player. If I was given the choice of working under him or Rogers (no glamour, but a track record of bringing in and developing players I'd choose the latter every single time). Tbh, all things being equal I'd choose Cooper, Smith, Potter, Rogers, Moyes, Vieira, Hassenhutl, Frank, Howe etc. over playing for a famous former player. But maybe players aren't great strategic thinkers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I share some of those thoughts too.....but I do have reservations about the type of players we have in abundance, yet still have a sparse offering when it comes to defensive nous......its intereseting too How Newcastle chose the defensive route too, as opposed to an attacking route to strenghten their team.

I just have a feeling we have gone about it wrong ,once again, albeit at the same time recognising the talent of Digne and Coutinho.....maybe its in advance of what comes in the summer.

I hope we strengthen in the Summer, where I expect us to......not just sign players, because they are good players,(but sign them because they are the RIGHT players), that doesn't work as Man U have found to their cost.

I still have faith he will get it right.

I want to have faith but I have nothing to latch onto at the moment. I hope he gives me something over the remaining games I really do

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

I want to have faith but I have nothing to latch onto at the moment. I hope he gives me something over the remaining games I really do

Well don't we all.... but nothing is going to change even if we scrape a win or two from the teams in the bottom 4 that we play.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well don't we all.... but nothing is going to change even if we scrape a win or two from the teams in the bottom 4 that we play.

I meant for me to have some faith going into the summer and next season. I’m just being selfish for my mental health with the Villa 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dale said:

I mean. Coutinho is a personal friend. Given the lack of progressing players under his watch, if I was a player looking for development I'd look at Gerrard as someone with a bit of stardust but I'd have zero idea of his ability to help me improve as a player. If I was given the choice of working under him or Rogers (no glamour, but a track record of bringing in and developing players I'd choose the latter every single time). Tbh, all things being equal I'd choose Cooper, Smith, Potter, Rogers, Moyes, Vieira, Hassenhutl, Frank, Howe etc. over playing for a famous former player. But maybe players aren't great strategic thinkers. 

but Rodgers didn't just land, like he is now, it took development.....and experience is incremental, not a flash of light and then Bingo, fully fledged manager.

Coutinho and Gerrard played together, so he mixed in those circles....you make it sound like a fault or a discredit.....I take it as a benefit.....Pep played most of his career with Barcelona, is it any wonder, he knew a few as friends too.

Gerrard might be a big name, but still humble enough to bring in a revered coach like Beale.....A man influenced by Cruyff and Bobby Robson, This guy has presided over the development of Mason Mount, Reece James, Callum Hudson Odoi, Ruben Loftus Cheek and Declan Rice.....He has input to Alexander Trent -Arnold at Liverpool and worked with Brendan Rodgers and Jurgen Klopp.....hardly a coach unfamiliar with quality players and managers.

Michael Beale is clearly a coach who wants to do well, and joining up with SG is surely an indication, he thinks its the right thing to do.....We have Gary McAllister, no stranger to success as a player, and did a good job as assistant Manager to Gerard Houllier with us.....I wouldn't say he lacks experience.

Managers can't do it all themselves, the coaches probably do more on the day to day than we know......Many managers are just the face of the football side of the clubs.

Football players are like any sect of life......some are bright, some not so.....some make good decisions, some not so good.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â