Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I just hope we sign better than we already have, even if its slightly better......I'm sure SG has his eyes on a few.

I know there will be posters on here, who can tell me if FIFA ratings are worth serious consideration?

I usually look at them, with new prospects, but don't know if they are benchmark worthy.

Edited by TRO

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just hope we sign better than we already have, even if its slightly better......I'm sure SG has his eyes on a few.

I know there will be posters on here, who can tell me if FIFA ratings are worth serious consideration?

I usually look at them, with new prospects, but don't know if they are benchmark worthy.

You’re better off going to a site like Fbref it’ll give you a more realistic interpretation of a player’s abilities.

However what all this data can never pick up is off the ball movement tracking. Also the timing of the movement.

edit: you have heat-maps and the like and I’m sure the clubs will have the data of timing of run and timing of pass and their correlation but for us fans that info might not be available unless you pay for it - Wyscout I think is one such platform (?). 

Maybe we can get idea by looking at interception stats but it’s the stuff like making yourself available for a pass and timing of pass that I look at when watching games. 

This is where Stevie G needs to improve the team. There’s been many opportunities to make simple game opening passes but they either hold on to it too long or mess up. Hopefully Stevie G can drill it in to the players asap. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

You’re better off going to a site like Fbref it’ll give you a more realistic interpretation of a player’s abilities.

However what all this data can never pick up is off the ball movement tracking. Also the timing of the movement.

Maybe we can get idea by looking at interception stats but it’s the stuff like making yourself available for a pass and timing of pass that I look at when watching games. 

This is where Stevie G needs to improve the team. There’s been many opportunities to make simple game opening passes but they either hold on to it too long or mess up. Hopefully Stevie G can drill it in to the players asap. 

Yeah....there is no substitute for the "visual".....but in conjuction with stats, it helps....."Belt and Braces" as they say.

Thanks, I will try Fbref.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, blandy said:

Stay on topic please - there's a thread for Liverpool and Klopp

Can you tell that to the clown of a 'journalist' at the Villa-Norwich presser, who thought it'd be good to kick off with a question about Klopps new contract at Liverpool please. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Can you tell that to the clown of a 'journalist' at the Villa-Norwich presser, who thought it'd be good to kick off with a question about Klopps new contract at Liverpool please. 

Well we are Liverpool s feeder/reject club.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Yep absolute shocker here 

3 hours ago, Pongo's Socks said:

He could have waited 2 weeks for our game 🤔

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Just out of interest, who have we fed to Liverpool recently?

AEG but his satnav took him to  Goodson by mistake maybe?

Right now there hero is on a managerial practice run with us. If he makes an almighty mess of it - no harm done.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Right now there hero is on a managerial practice run with us. If he makes an almighty mess of it - no harm done.

SG absolutely blanked them out at Anfield. There is no doubt he is 100 per cent committed to the Villa project, he will want to beat Klopp and Liverpool in a few weeks time IMO -  there will be a motivation within him for that. Moreover, Gerrard needs more time to immerse himself with Villa, he has already got his lad involved with following Villa - he is trying. The relationship has the potential to grow and become very strong. The way I am viewing the situation is Liverpool are his past, Villa are his now and the future. I think that is healthy until proven otherwise.

I know you are a big fan of the 80's side, so I feel the following is a good example for you. Dennis Mortimer has gone on record to say he was visualising all his Liverpool heroes when he went to collect the European Cup for us, nobody took any umbrage with that because Dennis backed it up in Claret n Blue. It is the same with Gerrard here.

• Like 4

Classy comments from Gerrard today. Hope what happens on the pitch eventually match his words, as he says all the right things. And I agree with him, he definitely needs a preseason to properly impart his philosophy. Provided we don't lose every game between now and the end of the season, it's only fair.

• Like 1

I think every manager needs "time" to build a side and after promotion and midtable, it needs building again.

However, to get that "time" there is usually an interim period which we are in, and you need to be hard to beat, to build credibility.

I hope we sign the right players in the Summer, to help with that......else I fear, that "time" might be denied.

10 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

SG absolutely blanked them out at Anfield. There is no doubt he is 100 per cent committed to the Villa project, he will want to beat Klopp and Liverpool in a few weeks time IMO -  there will be a motivation within him for that. Moreover, Gerrard needs more time to immerse himself with Villa, he has already got his lad involved with following Villa - he is trying. The relationship has the potential to grow and become very strong. The way I am viewing the situation is Liverpool are his past, Villa are his now and the future. I think that is healthy until proven otherwise.

I know you are a big fan of the 80's side, so I feel the following is a good example for you. Dennis Mortimer has gone on record to say he was visualising all his Liverpool heroes when he went to collect the European Cup for us, nobody took any umbrage with that because Dennis backed it up in Claret n Blue. It is the same with Gerrard here.

I think the naysayers are a hangover from his playing days, where even then, he ran through us like a dose of salts......but surely that was our fault, not his.

He has to make us hard to beat first, in developing this team....and then make tweaks here and there.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 15:21, nick76 said:

I’m hoping he doesn’t leave with the 3 points on Saturday either…

I think this game will be tighter than some think.....we are not good enough to be blowing teams away, regularly.

I hope SG doesn't set us up to go gung ho.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think this game will be tighter than some think.....we are not good enough to be blowing teams away, regularly.

I hope SG doesn't set us up to go gung ho.

Don't think you need worry about us being to gung ho 😄

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Another good pre-match presser from him.

Good words on Smith. Respect, but let's get to business now. Same straight bat he plays all the many many Liverpool questions with.

It makes losing and/or the boring football hurt that much more as he gets your hopes up during the week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Another good pre-match presser from him.

Good words on Smith. Respect, but let's get to business now. Same straight bat he plays all the many many Liverpool questions with.

What's the phrase ?

In deeds not words 

Â