Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Out of his depth. The last few weeks had been worrying but today I saw nothing that leads me to believe Gerrard is improving this squad. I hate being rash in my thoughts but I fail to see positives with him. The system is shocking. Over reliance on FB's. No width through the middle or up top. As bad as anything Smith has produced this season that was.  

• Like 2

I don’t mind selling a few and ripping it up but now I have huge doubts about gerrard as a manager - is he soft as shit, he said the right things last week but making one change is ridiculous - I have serious doubts about him now 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm fast coming to the view that it doesn't matter who we have as manager, they'll all end up producing the exact same kind of awful, weak, losing, lethargic football, no matter how well they start off. It's just a matter of how long it takes them to get to that point.

It's starting to feel like it, isn't it? 

I was convinced we'd win today but you can always rely on Villa to serve up a shit sandwich. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

.. and I'm not sure I'd give him the summer unless something is seriously turned around before then.

If you were the owners you'd have to be concerned about giving this manager 200M to blow. At least Martin O'Neill had success in a tough league on his CV before being given a blank cheque book.

The worst thing is just 2 weeks ago we were 3-1 up against Leeds. Coutinho pulling the strings, Ramsey looking brilliant. Would have been two wins on the bounce, everything was positive. From the second Leeds got one back its all gone rapidly downhill. We blew a two goal lead, havent scored since and have lost two on the bounce to relegation fodder.

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We sacked Smith to progress. He's got a lot of work to do in order to do that. 

Spot on. Smith was sacked because he wasn’t seen as someone who could take this club to the next level. If we’d been happy to sit in mid-table for another couple of years, Smith would have been the ideal choice to remain in charge. But those who take the decisions opted to make a change to ensure the step up would happen sooner rather than later.

At the moment, Gerrard looks like nothing the right choice. He’s got to turn this around quicker than rapid if his appointment is to be justified. Am I confident he can do that? After that second half, I’m not sure I am.

• Like 3

Just now, R.Bear said:

The worst thing is just 2 weeks ago we were 3-1 up against Leeds. Coutinho pulling the strings, Ramsey looking brilliant. Would have been two wins on the bounce, everything was positive. From the second Leeds got one back its all gone rapidly downhill. We blew a two goal lead, havent scored since and have lost two on the bounce to relegation fodder.

Definitely has echoes of Wolves, doesn't it? 

• Thanks 1

I don't want to turn on Gerrard, because he's joined mid season, there are problems with the squad, and we put in some good performances against top sides when he first joined. He definitely has the potential to be a very good manager.

BUT I still feel we hit the panic button too quickly on Smith, while he still had most of the dressing room on side, and I'm sure he could have seen out the season with a comfortable mid-table finish. You don't roll the dice like that unless you have a proven, elite coach waiting in the wings, and it's still very unclear whether Gerrard is that man.

My worry is Gerrard will want a huge clearout in the summer, and then we'll need another transitional season. The Director of Football model is supposed to stop this kind of thing from happening, but it seems to me like a number of the "Smith era players" are at risk of jumping ship in the next 2 or 3 transfer windows. You might say that's fine as they aren't good enough, but you can't just keep rebuilding the entire squad. The manager's job is to get a tune out of the existing players, not just decide they aren't good enough and buy expensive upgrades who take 6 months to settle.

Just doesn't feel quite right at the moment. Beyond results, it's the lack of cohesion, the body language, etc.

Hoping he can turn it around soon. We all know these bad spells happen to any manager, so let's see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The players definitely aren't buying into this shit either. Most of them just seem to dig each other out on the pitch. fI they could move and pass as well as they moan at each other, we'd be flying. The buck stops with Gerrard here because whatever shit he comes out with this week its on him. F*****g awful.

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What are you basing this on? We were heading towards a full-blown relegation battle before Smith was sacked. That Gerrard isn't working out at the moment doesn't change that. There are two decisions here, not one:

1. Sacking Smith - absolutely correct

2. Hiring Gerrard - started well but is now fast regressing for whatever reason

Perfectly possible for 1 to be the correct decision and 2 to be the wrong one.

Agreed. 

But it was also very likely that with players coming back and getting settled we'd have had a stronger 2nd half of the season. 

Finishing bottom half of the league with Gerrard or Smith makes very little difference. 

We will see if next season brings the progression we hired him for. 

This has Sherwood MK2 written all over it. All talk, soundbites, and very little else. I hope to god he can at least keep us up.

We’ll see the stories of who he really wanted to sign in January but wasn’t  allowed to leaking out this week I’m sure.

• Like 1

Big test for him as a manager. What worked in Scotland isn't working in the PL (yet at least).

Does he stick with it or does he change it, does he have what it takes as a manager to change things or does he have the confidence to stick with what he believes?

I don't believe we lack the players to beat Leeds, Newcastle or Watford and while our squad is far from perfect it's not that bad. We should be better than we currently are.

He has the rest of the season to prove he belongs at this level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I get your point. But the Leeds game was a terrible performance apart from those 20 mins of Countinho magic. 

As bad as anything under Smith the last few games. 

Teams have worked out plan A and we don't have a plan B. 

I was sceptical about the appointment, didn't seem an upgrade on Smith and unfortunately seems I'm being proven right. 

Need a big performance against Brighton or serious questions have to be asked about keeping him on 

Â