Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 minutes ago, Awol said:

Given our meh league position I really hope he gives the younger players a good run in the team to have a proper look at them. I know we cant keep them all but it would be great to have the best homegrown youth as the bench players behind the first-pick starters next season. 

That's the way it's looking already. Our best youngsters are either getting time off the bench (Chuk) or out on loan at the highest level possible.  Everyone is under the microscope / being given a platform to show what they can do.

By the end of this season we'll all know who can cut the mustard - if it's not already fairly obvious what we're missing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

That's the way it's looking already. Our best youngsters are either getting time off the bench (Chuk) or out on loan at the highest level possible.  Everyone is under the microscope / being given a platform to show what they can do.

By the end of this season we'll all know who can cut the mustard - if it's not already fairly obvious what we're missing.

Does that by the end of the season include the manager. If we're sliding backwards sticking with him might not be a great idea if he's going to rip up a squad that has broadly been successful in taking this club forwards? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Once we're safe points wise I'd like us to be a bit more adventurous though, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

When we've seen Iroegbunam starting in midfield I'll be happy that we've had a proper look (this weekend is fine Steven, if you're reading). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dale said:

Does that by the end of the season include the manager. If we're sliding backwards sticking with him might not be a great idea if he's going to rip up a squad that has broadly been successful in taking this club forwards? 

Depends if you want us to remain a mid table team or try to push on. Whichever manager comes in will want to change players. I’m sure of that. 

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When Klopp took over Liverpool they finished 8th. Then he managed 2 back to back 4th places before challenging for the title. Now I’m not for a second saying Gerrard is a Klopp but new systems while getting current players to play the way required along with new players to continue strengthening takes significant time. Gerrard took over a mid table squad and will most likely finish mid-table. 

Let’s give him at least a full season before we make our minds up about him hey?

No, he's Sherwood Mk2. It has already been decided. 🙄

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When Klopp took over Liverpool they finished 8th. Then he managed 2 back to back 4th places before challenging for the title. Now I’m not for a second saying Gerrard is a Klopp but new systems while getting current players to play the way required along with new players to continue strengthening takes significant time. Gerrard took over a mid table squad and will most likely finish mid-table. 

Let’s give him at least a full season before we make our minds up about him hey?

And Klopp was getting a lot of criticism for conceding too may goals and he was no improvement on Rodgers. Things take time. He will need to shift a few players in and out, Like Klopp did. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

And Klopp was getting a lot of criticism for conceding too may goals and he was no improvement on Rodgers. Things take time. He will need to shift a few players in and out, Like Klopp did. 

Let's not start getting ahead of ourselves, comparing Gerrard to Klopp is like comparing him to Sherwood. Who knows which way it will go.

This team of players beat Liverpool 7 2 and had some great results but just didn't have enough consistency. To rip it up and start again is going to cost £500m plus , it's not going to happen and  I'm sure our owners aren't expecting it to either. Good players need certain things to perform and at the moment our good players haven't got those things around them, we need to change those things , not throw the players away and start again. 

As for our meh position in the league, let's wait until we get 3 points on Saturday before we accept a mid table position because I haven't seen anything to suggest it's certain. Gerrard needs to show us he's a winner as a manager and this Saturday is the time , 1 -0 will do Stevie. 

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I think Gerrard is using the rest of the season to fully suss out the players that he has available at the moment.

He knows what system he wants to play, and I think he is right to try to get the players to play it now. Those that can't do it are quickly being found out, and will most likely be replaced in the summer.

At the end of the day, Gerrard is the manager and he is going to imprint his own style from the outset.

He'll never really get a good sense as to who can and can't play his system just from training performances.

I'm expecting significant changes in the summer.

He watches the matches as well.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Let's not start getting ahead of ourselves, comparing Gerrard to Klopp is like comparing him to Sherwood. Who knows which way it will go.

This team of players beat Liverpool 7 2 and had some great results but just didn't have enough consistency. To rip it up and start again is going to cost £500m plus , it's not going to happen and  I'm sure our owners aren't expecting it to either. Good players need certain things to perform and at the moment our good players haven't got those things around them, we need to change those things , not throw the players away and start again. 

As for our meh position in the league, let's wait until we get 3 points on Saturday before we accept a mid table position because I haven't seen anything to suggest it's certain. Gerrard needs to show us he's a winner as a manager and this Saturday is the time , 1 -0 will do Stevie. 

Not comparing him just using Klopp as an example of a manager needs time to build something.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

We aren't going to get much above half way with the current group of players imo. But IMO that doesn't mean that alot of the players we currently have don't have a role to play.

Im sure Stevie G brief when he joined us wasn't to sell 5 or 6 first team regulars - and spend £200m on replacements. Sure he needs some of his own guys in - he already has 3 ! - But I get the feeling that Come August 22 are starting 11 will have a lot of familiar faces in it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dale said:

For me, no, we have appointed Gerrard, he deserves a fair crack of the whip. We're not a shambles like Watford. Gerrard deserves a full summer window to get the team into the shape he wants. 

The current squad has done well, but a lot are probably at their ceiling now. Jack carried us a lot last season and we'd have finished much lower without him. 

I know football is more demanding now, but when Big Ron was sacked and Little came in, November time i think, we never really improved for the rest of the season. A full pre-season with 3 new signings and we came out on fire the season after, finished 4th, won a cup and made the semi in the other. I'm not saying it will be the same, but a little patience is needed. Judging a manager after 12 games is folly. Our points per game has improved with Gerrard compared to Smith earlier this season and a win on Saturday over Watford would put it better than last season under Smith, when most people were happy with all things Villa (apart from the usual moaners :) ) 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, av1 said:

My only concern with Gerrard is the system. 

Im going to absolutely contradict myself here but I like the system, so bare with me. 

It’s very unique, very Steven Gerrard, so if he stays for the next 10yrs, great, no issue. 

but what what if he leaves in 2/3yrs? For me it’s a complete rebuild. Because most managers like wingers, they like fullbacks that’s defend first, attacking is s as bonus, they like defined roles in midfield rather than two 8’s 

I honestly think he will achieve a level of success with us, the blokes a winner, but his system is so unique I do wonder what we’ll look like after Steven Gerrard 

The things that are denying us winning games are not the things you are concerned with.

He has been reported as saying he wants running, tackling and fight......now that might seem a pretty fundamental thing to some fans, who want to be involved in sophisticated "system" speak.....but he is bang on.

The things we are failing at are fundamental....and teams with less talent than us are making it difficult for us, and coming out on top in some cases.

Dean Smith and Steven Gerrard play different styles.....but in terms of performance and result in the last 7 games or so.....you wouldn't know the difference, because the basics of the game are missing in both styles.

This game we all love.....is far more simple than we sometimes believe.....Those that work the hardest and with conviction are someway there.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's fair to say that Rangers are a massive club with huge pressure to deliver,  but a baying Villa Park sniffing blood will be something else entirely. VP simply won't accept the manager saying all the right things to the media whilst displaying zero aptitude to change a match drifting to inevitable and deserved defeat. 

The biggest test in his nascent managerial career with high hopes of the future starts now. I'm going to take a break from these boards and Villa for a small period if we lose to Watford.

• Like 1

What the team needs is an injection of controlled aggression....something the manager could give us if he was fit, younger and registered.

who amongst our motley crew, can give us that......god knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

What the team needs is an injection of controlled aggression....something the manager could give us if he was fit, younger and registered.

who amongst our motley crew, can give us that......god knows.

Controlled aggression indeed ;)

• Like 1

Good honest press conference. I think the way fans, players and manager have reacted to a 1-0 defeat is indicative of how the standards and expectations have been set higher. I saw worse performances with Smith but less of a reaction. 

But ultimately it’s the reaction on the pitch tomorrow that will be telling. I think we’ll be on it. 

• Like 1

Â