Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Even when we get "battered" we looked much more solid and capable of creating chances.

9 points from Gerrard's first 5 fixtures, with the two defeats being narrow defeats to City and Liverpool, is at the very upper end of what I thought was within the realms of possibility.

100%. We get battered but we don’t look like we’re going to concede constantly, we actually have resilience. I can see us getting a fair few 0-0s under Stevie G. 

3 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Not accepting any loss even if it's against Liverpool. I was dreading his appearance in this game but he's been very good in his comments and behaviour.

Gerrard can't complain about anything. 

Deserved nothing out of the game. Lucky to not have conceded by more. 

Legit scary how far we are off Liverpool. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Gerrard can't complain about anything. 

Deserved nothing out of the game. Lucky to not have conceded by more. 

Legit scary how far we are off Liverpool. 

Yeah, nothing like being inferior to the team who have the best forward and best CB in world football and have been utterly devastating of late at home. 

The way you go on you would think we were CL finalists last season and have Haaland etc in our side. 

Edited by Steero113

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I think for the first time I question his tactics. The starting line up was too compact. Back line far too deep and lack of forward line cost us putting liverpool under any real pressure until too late. Props to Smith because he understood to get at Liverpool, a high press and pace wide was your best chance, keeping their FBs honest. Today we gave their FBs the freedom to bomb on and overload the wings pinning us back. 

Agree with this. We looked so much better and put Liverpool on the back foot towards the end when we actually were more positive 

2 minutes ago, lainux said:

Agree with this. We looked so much better and put Liverpool on the back foot towards the end when we actually were more positive 

It’s because Liverpool started to protect a lead so dropped a bit.  Tactics were fine. They are just much better than us. Sometimes you have to just accept that. 

• Like 1

He played for 90 mins of containment and it was just attack vs defence for long periods.

I think that he gave Liverpool too much respect.

When he was forced to make a change and start to attack we finally started giving them some problems.

The writing was on the wall in that second half and we needed to do something proactive sooner. 

Hopefully it’s just the occasion getting the better of him on the return to Anfield and we give them a better game at Villa Park. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s because Liverpool started to protect a lead so dropped a bit.  Tactics were fine. They are just much better than us. Sometimes you have to just accept that. 

This for me, same as city, they dropped off from their pretty incredible press and we started to play a bit more 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The substitutions had nothing to do with it?

Said in the match thread the interesting thing for me would be do we make those subs at 0-0 and change our game plan? 

We'll never know 

I do think Liverpool played for the counter after they scored - but to be fair after the pen I didn't watch it all I was in and out (free Kenneth) 

Edited by villa4europe

Â