Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

How anyone can be critical I don’t understand. Nearly got a point against the best team in Europe. We aren’t Chelsea or a Man City you know…expectations on here are absurd. He smashed it today. Under any other recent manager that would have been a 4-0/5-0 loss. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Legit scary how far we are off Liverpool. 

Didn’t we know this already?

They are one of the best teams in Europe beating teams easily.  We are a team on the build, just sacked our manager, a new manager in charge and finished 11th last season, after avoiding relegation the season before and in the Championship the season before.  At the same time they were winning the league and Champions League.  They are so far ahead of us it’s scary but we knew that already.  

Literally only Martinez out of all our players could challenge for a starting place in their team and still unlikely to win.

• Like 3

Arsenal lost 4-0 there two weeks back and they could easily finish 5th this season.

In the long run results like this don't matter too much. Hopefully get at least 4 points off Norwich-Burnley and that should mean top 10 for xmas day which would be good considering the state we were in a month ago.

• Like 2

One thing he would've learnt today btw....that injustice feeling you get when you get a credible penalty shout not looked at when playing a top 3/4 team.

Playing for Liverpool for 15 years he'd have been oblivious to that (and also managing Rangers) so he'll learn all about the other side for however long he manages us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They are one of the best teams in Europe beating teams easily.  We are a team on the build, just sacked our manager, a new manager in charge and finished 11th last season, after avoiding relegation the season before and in the Championship the season before.  At the same time they were winning the league and Champions League.  They are so far ahead of us it’s scary but we knew that already.  

Literally only Martinez out of all our players could challenge for a starting place in their team and still unlikely to win.

Precisely it’s literally top 3 and the rest, most teams let 3-4 goals in vs Liverpool, we did well today it’s not a weekend ruiner. Can’t wait for Norwich 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Gerrard can't complain about anything. 

Deserved nothing out of the game. Lucky to not have conceded by more. 

If we hadn't only lost by a single penalty, we would have lost by more.

• Confused 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

They had quite a lot of chances, particularly in the last 15 minutes when we became more open.

Agreed. Salah would have had a hattrick on another day. Konsa did vey well when they were 2 on 1 but we really were let off.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think we were quite lucky to have kept it at only 1 goal conceded. They had quite a lot of chances, particularly in the last 15 minutes when we became more open.

Liverpool were not on top form today. A more ruthless Liverpool would've scored more. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

Agreed. Salah would have had a hattrick on another day. Konsa did vey well when they were 2 on 1 but we really were let off.

I hear you both, but shouldn't we get some type of credit for this?

Can't explain what I mean, but I thought even when we were " under the cosh " it was a more controlled and disciplined " under the cosh ".

We did our parts in throwing them off as well.

It was nothing like how I've seen us in the past, even as recently as Man City first half.

Alot more composure and solidity to our defending IMO.

I wasn't shitting myself as much, even when they were swarming forward, as in the past. Where at times we've looked like we had no clue what we were doing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think we were quite lucky to have kept it at only 1 goal conceded. They had quite a lot of chances, particularly in the last 15 minutes when we became more open.

Liverpool were not on top form today. A more ruthless Liverpool would've scored more. 

I understand your point but I also think we should get some credit for that given some of our defending was brilliant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can't explain what I mean, but I thought even when we were " under the cosh " it was a more controlled and disciplined " under the cosh ".

It was nothing like how I've seen us in the past, even as recently as Man City first half.

I wasn't shitting myself as much, even when they were swarming forward, as in the past. Where at times we've looked like we had no clue what we were doing.

Yep

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For 80 minutes, I agree with you, we defended resolutely and it felt under control. I just think we got a bit of luck towards the end when they were cutting through us on the counter but couldn't take their chances.  You can only defend what's attacking you, but I bet Konsa couldn't believe his luck that Salah passed it to him instead of smashing it in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Gerrard can't complain about anything. 

Deserved nothing out of the game. Lucky to not have conceded by more. 

What a ridiculous opinion. There isn't a single watcher of Premier League football who sincerely thinks we should be close to Liverpool right now, but that is what you have just implied. Why? 

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

What a ridiculous opinion. There isn't a single watcher of Premier League football who sincerely thinks we should be close to Liverpool right now, but that is what you have just implied. Why? 

Step 1: Check the poster name.

Step 2: That’s why.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Let's just give up then and just adopt damage limitation tactics against opposition we deem superior. Like we did under Lambert. 

I expect us to have more of a go. 

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm gonna be completely honest here, I think it's mostly psychological because of how much confidence Gerrard has inspired in our defence in recent weeks.

But at the end of the day, the kind of defending we were doing in this game I don't think is sustainable in the long run. We didn't really shut them out, they had chances, some quite quality ones they should've made more off as well. When you've letting in those kind of chances, it's really only a matter of time that you'll concede one way or another. Maybe on another day, we could've held out til the end but maybe we could've conceded 2 or 3 instead. It really depends on how ruthless the other side are on the day. 

I'm not trying to diminish the team's performance but I've just never seen these types of performances as a good defensive performance. Liverpool simply threatened us too much for that to be the case. It would be another case if we controlled possession such that Liverpool didn't have much opportunity to attack or we allowed them possession but they were limited to speculative shots from far out. Neither were really the case here.

• Like 2

Â