Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

There is a handy dandy ignore function that in theory takes care of this for you. Unfortunately the garbage is quoted every other **** post so I've still got rsi in my retina from **** rolling my eyes so many times.

Imo the site would be significantly better if the ignore function can be expanded to ignore any post that quotes someone on your list.

To be fair, I don't really want to " ignore " anyone on the forum, as I feel it takes away from the dynamics and entertainment.

I happen to agree with some things our " controversial " posters say at times as well.

However, they often time go on to negate any valid points they may have had, with unreasonable ridiculousity IMO.

It's almost like some just want to " stick to character " or " wind people up, as an assigned role.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

We didn't set out to just sit back. Like Steve said in this, sometimes the opposition just force it upon you. 

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I assume it's with one of those foreign channels. 

Gerrard makes a nice little dig at Michael Owen too which is always fun. 

Gerrard part starts at 6:58 or 7 mins. Whatever. The video should play through YouTube, just not through the forum. 

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

But we didn't nearly get a point. We couldn't get out of our own half. Emi made the score look respectable.

We didn't get near Liverpool today.

Most teams don't in that form.

• Haha 1

Just now, TRO said:

He didn't expect to do that....He expected to stay in the game for an Hour and then have a go....and it could have worked....Ings should have had a penalty.

We are not equipped to take on Liverpool in this form, for 90 minutes.....its called knowing your limitations and acting accordingly.

At the end of the game, SG looked the most disappointed man in the ground.

SG will be learning all the time, he will tell you that himself.....Tuesdays game won't be a walk in the park either or the Burnley Game.

Agreed Stevie G is still very much learning. That's pretty obvious to all and sundry. I've said up thread I hope he learns from today.

In my 45+ years of watching villa though Aston villa isn't a great place to be cutting your managerial teeth.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

"Stay in the game for an hour" is doing some heavy lifting there.

Liverpool had us on the ropes after 20 minutes. It was just how long EMis brilliance could keep them at bay.

No disgrace about today. Stevie G has lots to learn - I'm sure he knows that. 

Hippo, If he had of been 3 years down the line, I don't think he could have changed anything.....without better players.

Our players give their best, the gulf in quality is sometimes not negotiable.....Liverpool played like their lives depended on it and with their undoubted quality, that was a formidable combination.

I hate losing and so does SG......But that was a credible performance under the circumstances and a few sweaty scouse palms at the end.

a few weeks ago that would have been 4-0 or thereabouts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Most teams don't in that form.

Isn't that the brief though ?

Getting wins where we don't expect them.

You can't defend constantly against any team for 90 minutes - that's suicide.

As you have said SG is still learning - hopefully he develops nous in the 2nd half of the pitch.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed Stevie G is still very much learning. That's pretty obvious to all and sundry. I've said up thread I hope he learns from today.

In my 45+ years of watching villa though Aston villa isn't a great place to be cutting your managerial teeth.

In your 45 years of watching Villa you've probably seen us get whooped far worse than the score lines in his 2 losses, against 2 of the best teams in World club football. All managers are learning but he's not some naive child going through the teething process. We've lost by 1 goal to City and away at Liverpool, whilst winning the other 3 games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

I am not sure, I understand your point.

I can think of more experienced managers without SG's drive, who would have been proud of that.

Managers can only do so much Hippo at any given time.

IMO if you swapped managers, the score would have been  similar.

ps I think we are lucky to have him.....we are in transition, so is he, we can grow together.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Hippo, If he had of been 3 years down the line, I don't think he could have changed anything.....without better players.

Our players give their best, the gulf in quality is sometimes not negotiable.....Liverpool played like their lives depended on it and with their undoubted quality, that was a formidable combination.

I hate losing and so does SG......But that was a credible performance under the circumstances and a few sweaty scouse palms at the end.

a few weeks ago that would have been 4-0 or thereabouts.

Really - I thought Liverpool let us off the hook today. Sure they were decent - but looked a good way off man city a couple of weeks back.

Sure the 11on the pitch gave there best. But a 37 year old as our only truly wide player ?  I doubt the Liverpool defence will have an easier 90 minutes this season.

Losing 1-0 to a penalty is about as close to getting a draw as you can get, especially when we could have had a penalty ourselves. In Liverpool's prevous three home games they had scored ten goals without reply.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

In your 45 years of watching Villa you've probably seen us get whooped far worse than the score lines in his 2 losses, against 2 of the best teams in World club football. All managers are learning but he's not some naive child going through the teething process. We've lost by 1 goal to City and away at Liverpool, whilst winning the other 3 games. 

Sorry but going to Liverpool away with 0 attacking intent is niave. No attacking intent means Liverpool can commit the whole team to attacking duties. It was never going to work.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really - I thought Liverpool let us off the hook today. Sure they were decent - but looked a good way off man city a couple of weeks back.

Sure the 11on the pitch gave there best. But a 37 year old as our only truly wide player ?  I doubt the Liverpool defence will have an easier 90 minutes this season.

We come under some pressure, sure....and we soaked it up, that is to our credit, the alternative was concede a few and relinquish the pressure... we fought like trojans and they played like who they are, European elite.

but they were all relieved to hear the final whistle...players and fans and manager.

SG is not going to turn us in to Champions league quality in a few weeks.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not sure, I understand your point.

I can think of more experienced managers without SG's drive, who would have been proud of that.

Managers can only do so much Hippo at any given time.

IMO if you swapped managers, the score would have been  similar.

ps I think we are lucky to have him.....we are in transition, so is he, we can grow together.

Stevie G s drive ??????

come on - I realise you like the bloke and think/want him to do well here.

But there was very little drive today. 2nd half v Man City sure - but today there was close to nothing in terms of drive - the stats and even general viewing will show you that ?

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

We come under some pressure, sure....and we soaked it up, that is to our credit, the alternative was concede a few and relinquish the pressure... we fought like trojans and they played like who they are, European elite.

but they were all relieved to hear the final whistle...players and fans and manager.

SG is not going to turn us in to Champions league quality in a few weeks.

My point was today we hardly layed a glove on Liverpool.

Sure mitigating circumstances , young manager, new to managing in the pl ..5 games in.

But my point remians.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

My point was today we hardly layed a glove on Liverpool.

Sure mitigating circumstances , young manager, new to managing in the pl ..5 games in.

But my point remians.

When Dean was in charge we barely laid a glove on Southampton. In fact, for 45 minutes we managed to make them look like Brazil! To have transitioned from that to the disciplined, hard working performance today in such a short space of time is an absolute miracle.

Get on the bus mate. It’s warm in here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m really surprised fans aren’t encouraged by how the team fought today. They wanted to get forward but Liverpool’s press was just too much. They are one of the best teams in the world. It’s always going to very difficult.  They have turned most teams over at Anfield. Look what they did to Arsenal. 

Some of our fans just love to **** moan. 

I don't care who we are playing. If the only way we get out of our own half is to boot the ball and chase it - that's not going to work.

Â