Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

So here's the challenge. We know we've got a squad that has some gaps and players that haven't quite settled into a scheme, with some injury and sickness issues on top. Gerrard will have to work very hard on getting to the January window to fix the first of those problems and try to put some pattern into the side.

Our fixtures before Christmas are:

• Brighton (h)
  • Crystal Palace (a)
  • Man City (h)
  • Leicester (h)
  • Liverpool (a)
  • Norwich (a)
  • Burnley (h)
  • Chelsea (h)
  • Leeds (a)

Nine games and many of them very tough.

How many points from that would keep you happy?

I think we're going to need to be very patient here - it's not impossible that he might lose his first five.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

• Brighton (h) - 3pts
  • Crystal Palace (a) - 1pt
  • Man City (h) - 0pts
  • Leicester (h) - 3pts
  • Liverpool (a) - 0pts
  • Norwich (a) - 3pts
  • Burnley (h) - 3pts
  • Chelsea (h) - 0pts
  • Leeds (a) - 1pt

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Think he’ll get the best out of McGinn? Or deem him not up to standards?

With McGinn it will depend how he plays him and how he sees his best position.  I think he will have a look at the Villa midfield ( as all playing departments) and then decide where he would like to strengthen ( all? 🙂) and then of course, especially in the Premier League, will depend on how much of a budget he is given. Obviously up here you can pick players up for relative peanuts who will do a good job in the SPL at sevco level, down in the Premier League it is a different scenario and it will be interesting to see how he adapts to this. 🤔  He may decide that with proper coaching he can change the fortunes of many of the players already at Villa.......lets hope so.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pros

• Meant to have some very very good coaches coming with him
  • Big name player with big aspirations as a manager, "surviving" won't be in his mind as a goal - Winning mentality for sure
  • Said big name will hopefully mean some players touch and go to join will be willing to listen

Cons

• Loves the attacking 433 that everyone seems to love...just like we did on promotion and got battered until we realised we couldn't attack that much - we found a magic formula only usable with a world-class player like Grealish making attacks on his own
  • Liverpool press will be annoying af - hope he nips that in the bud nice and early. Few Gers pals said he's pretty good with the media

Conclusion

• We were flatter than flat and needed a change - I'm excited
  • We have a good squad of personalities who will listen and put effort into his ideas
  • Hope he's ready for just how through the floor the players' confidence is - wouldn't be surprised to see us better away from home than at home for a while
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chasetown Villa said:

Just watched Make Us Dream on Prime. Makes you appreciate what a phenomenon he was as a player. His leadership and never say die attitude is exactly what our squad needs right now. 

The question is: how successfully can that attitude be transmitted or awakened in those you're managing.  Roy Keane obviously had a similar sort of attitude as a player: brilliantly, stubbornly attritional; someone who seemed to actively revel in being up against it, but he seems never to have been able to harness the essence of that in a substantially successful way as a man-manager (didn't he alienate one of his promising young goalies at Ipswich with his you're-in-the-army-now approach?).  'Mud and trenches' football is really coming to an end, and maybe Gerrard, if he is indeed of that type, represents one of the last of a dying breed (on the other hand, he guy he's bringing with him, Beale, seems to have a modern and progressive footballing mind, from what I've been able to tell.)

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So here's the challenge. We know we've got a squad that has some gaps and players that haven't quite settled into a scheme, with some injury and sickness issues on top. Gerrard will have to work very hard on getting to the January window to fix the first of those problems and try to put some pattern into the side.

• Brighton (h)
  • Crystal Palace (a)
  • Man City (h)
  • Leicester (h)
  • Liverpool (a)
  • Norwich (a)
  • Burnley (h)
  • Chelsea (h)
  • Leeds (a)

I think we're going to need to be very patient here - it's not impossible that he might lose his first five.

Focus on performance.

Six good performances out of nine and we'll pick-up 11+ points.

It's not great but I'd bite your arm off for 11 right now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

• Brighton (h)
  • Crystal Palace (a)
  • Man City (h)
  • Leicester (h)
  • Liverpool (a)
  • Norwich (a)
  • Burnley (h)
  • Chelsea (h)
  • Leeds (a)

Anything less than 27 and Gerrard out!! Deano back in. (With Deano we’d accept about 9).

Seriously though I think maximum of 3 defeats is achievable in that 9. 

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Last year 10th place had 59 points. We currently have 10. 49 points required from 27 games. 1.8 points a game. That would require phenomenal form.

59 points is unusually high for 10th. The previous three seasons before that, it was 54, 52, and 44 to finish 10th.

Key thing to look at is how far we are off 10th at the moment - only 5 points. It's doable with a good spell of form and winning the six-pointers against the teams around us.

I agree, though, that 10th would be a strong showing from Gerrard and co. Most likely for me is somewhere like 12th, and then we try and kick on next season. Sadly, though, that probably means losing players in the summer.

36 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

From the Villa perspective I hope he does well but he is certainly going to find the standard and more importantly the expectation more intense that anything he has faced in his managerial career so far.

Just on this bit mate. Whilst it’s undeniable that the standard of the PL is higher than the SPL, is the expectation going to be more intense?

I would have thought that due to the financial disparity between the Glasgow clubs and the rest of the SPL, the pressure to win every single game would be huge. 

Edited by av1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Focus on performance.

Six good performances out of nine and we'll pick-up 11+ points.

It's not great but I'd bite your arm off for 11 right now.

So would I.

I reckon we'll get between eight and ten.

I think we need to limp through to January and fire up the chequebook.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

Just on this bit mate. Whilst it’s undeniable that the standard of the PL is higher than the SPL, is the expectation more going to be more intense?

I would have thought that due to the financial disparity between the Glasgow clubs and the rest of the SPL, the pressure to win every single game would be huge. 

The difference is that in the Premier League, you are up against a team that has at least a fighting chance almost every week, so you can't just phone it in and get away with it. Any mistakes and you're dropping points. Probably Norwich is the only team that has been rolling over for everyone?

Whereas in Scotland you really have such a headstart over the other teams, they need to play out of their skins and you need to make huge mistakes to drop points. Here's the wage bills from 2020:

(Edit: this is average per player)

1. Celtic - £895,564

2. Rangers - £649,771

3. Aberdeen - £140,461

4. Hearts - £137,942

5. Hibernian - £119,700

6. Kilmarnock - £68,412

7. St Johnstone - £62,691

8. Motherwell - £59,304

9. Ross County - £55,574

10. St Mirren - £48,621

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-wage-bills-all-12-teams-ranked-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-majority-ps62m-paid-salaries-1398455

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

• Brighton (h)
  • Crystal Palace (a)
  • Man City (h)
  • Leicester (h)
  • Liverpool (a)
  • Norwich (a)
  • Burnley (h)
  • Chelsea (h)
  • Leeds (a)

I don't think it's too unrealistic to expect a minimum of 14 points, even potentially 18pts from those games (27pts on offer).

For me, anything over 15 points will be acceptable.

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The difference is that in the Premier League, you are up against a team that has at least a fighting chance almost every week, so you can't just phone it in and get away with it. Any mistakes and you're dropping points. Probably Norwich is the only team that has been rolling over for everyone?

Whereas in Scotland you really have such a headstart over the other teams, they need to play out of their skins and you need to make huge mistakes to drop points. Here's the wage bills from 2020:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-wage-bills-all-12-teams-ranked-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-majority-ps62m-paid-salaries-1398455

For a minute I thought that was the for all of the squad. That is basically a combination of Championship and league one/two pay structures.

Edited by The Fun Factory

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I don't think it's too unrealistic to expect a minimum of 14 points, even potentially 18pts from those games (27pts on offer).

For me, anything over 15 points will be acceptable.

What the **** are you smoking? Can I have some? This current group hasn't looked likely of hitting that form any time soon. If Gerrard gets them immediately to get 14/15 points out of that run him and his team are going to be incredible. Can't see it myself, our best eleven haven't been able to play together for two games on the trot yet this season, so if manages to get them to all gel together in a week Gerrard's a genius.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

• Brighton (h)
  • Crystal Palace (a)
  • Man City (h)
  • Leicester (h)
  • Liverpool (a)
  • Norwich (a)
  • Burnley (h)
  • Chelsea (h)
  • Leeds (a)

I think we will beat Brighton. They haven't won since September - we should have pretty much a full squad. And everyone will keen to impress steeeeevie G 

3-0.

Â