Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

24 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Question to those who have their doubts still about the appointment;

The top quality head coach that you were hoping we would have hired, how do you think they became decent in the first place? 

That’s absolutely fine and I agree with your point. 

The thing is, I recall a former manager who didn’t have premier league experience and more than once it was suggested we couldn’t have him here “learning on the job”. 

It will be interesting to see if that issue presents itself here for some.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Been a long week mate, I’m just about coping putting one leg in front of the other and I haven’t even had a drink yet 😂

Hah! Fair play. I don’t want people to over think it. Just take a look at the managerial careers of Erik Ten Hag, Julian Nagelsmann etc… they have both landed top jobs, but checkout what they did beforehand. (There are many many other examples). Their careers are not that extensive and have only been at a few clubs, staying for 2/3 years at a time. Erik is a good 10 years older than Gerrard but even with that, his experience still doesn’t go miles beyond in the grand scheme of things.  

Aston Villa is a top job… at the moment there is an elite level above (whether we like it or not) which we are trying to break into. Gerrard has gained a level of experience which warrants a crack at getting us to where we want to be.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s a great video. I thought it was interesting early in the video that he said he was going to talk about coaching and not managing. So there’s obviously a clear difference and in our case he’ll be the head coach and SG the manager so yes we need both! 😀

Yep, I picked up on that too. Beale is clearly the coach and SG the manager. Great to have that in two people that have already built a relationship from working together

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Erm… interesting.

So something like this?

Start off not knowing what you are doing - Gerrard coaching Liverpool youth teams for 15 month first with the U18’s then U19’s while doing his coaching qualifications.

Doing it and getting better - Going to Rangers doing quite well in his first season then winning the league in his second going unbeaten.

So now he is good and arrived at Villa, perfect.

Look I don't want to go negative here, because after the last few days I am positive about what Gerrard can bring, but what we've been saying about experience in an inferior league for the past few days has not changed just because he's become manager. 

The original post was calling out those who still have doubts about his experience as unreasonable, well I still have doubts, but I am 100% behind Stevie G. I'm not going to pretend the concerns I had before have gone away because they haven't. When we are linked with folks like Favre, a couple of years in the Scottish league with one of the only teams that can win it IS the choice with less experience. 

That doesn't mean I'm unreasonable, angry, depressed, that I dislike him as a man, or a footballer,  that I'm against scousers, that I don't think he can do a job, or any of the other things that people in a polarised debate like to throw at the other side. 

I want him to do well, and I hope he does well, but I still, regardless have some doubts. It's perfectly OK to have this view. I'm not a bad person. 

• Like 3

I can’t help feeling people are getting ahead of themselves on this.  

“He will raise our profile”, “he is a born winner”, “he will demand respect”, “the players will instinctively look up to him”.  

That is all guess work, how he sets his stall out, how he engages, manages and initiates change will be critical.  The players either buy into it and are engaged or he/they are toast.  Cannot help but feel Dean was too nice, we had a soft underbelly and when people squeezed us it showed, we rolled over and it ultimately cost him his job.

Highest paid manager in Villa history, with significant January war chest.  Let’s be under no bones, there are no excuses here.  Purslow and owners have gone “all in” on Gerrard.  Let’s hope he proves worth it otherwise this could all go horribly wrong for Gerrard, Purslow and most importantly, the club.

• Like 1

I get the point @momo is making. When any of the "big 6" teams looks for a new manager, the preference is someone like Klopp, Tuchel, Guardiola, Mourinho, Conte, Ancelotti, Emery, etc. who has won silverware in a major European league (i.e. Germany/Spain/Italy) and / or in Europe.

Yes, Man Utd have Solskjaer currently (but he's a club legend and disaster) and Chelsea experimented with Lampard (also a club legend, and quickly sacked), but neither of those were typical.

So bringing in Gerrard is very much the sort of move you'd expect of a team a bit further down the table.

Having said that... we are further down the table. We were never going to attract one of the really big managerial names in world football, because it would be too much of a gamble for them.

For the position we're in, Gerrard doesn't fill me with as much dread as some of the other names touted. But I do think people need to give him 10+ games and then take stock. His first few games will just be him finding out what his players can do and what needs fixing. It won't happen overnight.

On a separate note, how good is it seeing all these triggered Rangers fans.

😆

• Like 3

Just now, KentVillan said:

I get the point @momo is making. When any of the "big 6" teams looks for a new manager, the preference is someone like Klopp, Tuchel, Guardiola, Mourinho, Conte, Ancelotti, Emery, etc. who has won silverware in a major European league (i.e. Germany/Spain/Italy) and / or in Europe.

Yes, Man Utd have Solskjaer currently (but he's a club legend and disaster) and Chelsea experimented with Lampard (also a club legend, and quickly sacked), but neither of those were typical.

So bringing in Gerrard is very much the sort of move you'd expect of a team a bit further down the table.

Having said that... we are further down the table. We were never going to attract one of the really big managerial names in world football, because it would be too much of a gamble for them.

For the position we're in, Gerrard doesn't fill me with as much dread as some of the other names touted. But I do think people need to give him 10+ games and then take stock. His first few games will just be him finding out what his players can do and what needs fixing. It won't happen overnight.

On a separate note, how good is it seeing all these triggered Rangers fans.

😆

I don't get it. He's Scottish and good so he does not play in Scotland. They kind of prove their own point right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Fast progress maybe, but he had £350 million spend and one of the best players in the Prem to do it with. He lost that £100 million player, than for some reason (if I'm being nice) couldn't take us any further.

I know this season has been strange, yet I think a lot of off-field issues were causing disruptions. If your idea of "not taking us further" is based on the last 5 games, I think that's not a good enough sample for any to come with that statement. But this is the gerrard thread anyway

Edited by momo

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Look I don't want to go negative here, because after the last few days I am positive about what Gerrard can bring, but what we've been saying about experience in an inferior league for the past few days has not changed just because he's become manager. 

The original post was calling out those who still have doubts about his experience as unreasonable, well I still have doubts, but I am 100% behind Stevie G. I'm not going to pretend the concerns I had before have gone away because they haven't. When we are linked with folks like Favre, a couple of years in the Scottish league with one of the only teams that can win it IS the choice with less experience. 

That doesn't mean I'm unreasonable, angry, depressed, that I dislike him as a man, or a footballer,  that I'm against scousers, that I don't think he can do a job, or any of the other things that people in a polarised debate like to throw at the other side. 

I want him to do well, and I hope he does well, but I still, regardless have some doubts. It's perfectly OK to have this view. I'm not a bad person. 

Just on the original post part:

My point was to highlight that the career path a coach has taken before coming to us isn’t everything. Some of the best young coaches in the world now had rather tame career paths before landing the top job. We are a top job. 

We’d have had doubts about any manager that came in. Why has Favre not landed another job since his last one? Fonseca? When does it end? 

I wasn’t implying you were a bad person either. And of course it’s ok to have an opinion. (Even if it is wrong 😉

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

For all the concerns about Villa being a stepping stone. Can anyone name a player that we signed (under the age of 28) that they don't believe they see Villa as a stepping stone club to a top 4 team? We want players with ambition that want to rise to the top. We also want managers that want it to. It is up to Purslow to oversee the incomings and departures to ensure that we are always on an upward trajectory

You're right, the stepping stone thing is bullshit. It's not the ambitious players we should be worried about, it's the ones who are happy to collect the pay check.

Having said that, it's annoying when it's literally the first thing the media say about someone joining the club. Prefer it when it's after a couple of years of solid performances!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Gerrard to get the Liverpool job, he'd have to be doing exceedingly well at the exact same time that Klopp was doing very badly at Liverpool. I think it's unlikely. I can see Klopp being at Liverpool for the next ten years.

• Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

Just on the original post part:

1 My point was to highlight that the career path a coach has taken before coming to us isn’t everything. Some of the best young coaches in the world now had rather tame career paths before landing the top job. We are a top job. 

2 We’d have had doubts about any manager that came in. Why has Favre not landed another job since his last one? Fonseca? When does it end? 

3. I wasn’t implying you were a bad person either. And of course it’s ok to have an opinion. (Even if it is wrong 😉

Look we have a manager now so this will be the last time I talk about the selection process, not least because I've ended up saying the same thing over and over, but to counter those points-

1- Yes you are right, but with no evidence how do you know SG is not one of the other ones who stink up the joint. It's a risk we did not need to take when we have only recently gotten back into the PL. Experienced alternatives were available. 

2- Favre has not landed another job because when he left his last post in December 2020 he wanted a break. When the Crystal Palace job came up he initially was interested but decided that he needed longer. That was 4 months ago, and he has now been away for nearly a year. I'm pretty sure he would have been more receptive to our advances for that reason. 

3- Likewise, bud 🙂

Man I reeeeeeaaally want this to work. So bad. 

Â