The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Managerial merry go round this month - seems Rodgers has a clause thst he can go to a champions league club and United believed to be after him - wonder if smith would be considered by Leicester ? 
as for Gerrard this is a great chance for him given the backing of the board to get us into the top 8 or more during his time - JT won us over and I think Gerrard will to , I think he will get the club and not bleat on about liverpool in the way houllier did 

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

Does Gerrard play with a specific identity, attacking , defensive , high intensity... if anyone is able to ease this transition for me please let me know haha

Gerrard (& his coaching team), are known at Rangers for high intensity, pressing, attacking almost tika taka type football at Rangers, whether this will translate to the PL who knows, or whether they will change to a different style of play?

Some vids showing Rangers under Gerrard:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chine said:

Now apologies if it’s not for this thread but I’m wondering why Gerrard didn’t take the Geordie gig ? Hopefully morally seen as an incorrect choice due to the background of the owners and even more hopeful that a few possible new signings will think along those lines , so just maybe we are hiring the right man 🙏, they can stick their don’t know Howe up their arriss 

Because they are still a basket case cmub likely to be relegated. We are just a bit lost currently.

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

It's one of the things that makes me more confident in Gerrard. He is obviously happy to use a team (and they are happy to be led by him) even if he doesn't have the specific skillset they have. And from all accounts he has assembled a pretty good team. That's the sign of a good leader and manager. 

A long time ago my Dad took a load of kids to BMH. He taught at a school that was invited to watch training, I’m not sure why. Anyway they arrived and Dad met Brian Little first who went to find Ron Saunders in his office. Ron was fantastic and stopped training and set up a match for the kids. The reason I’ve taken this trip down memory lane is to show that even then, back in the 70s, the manager didn’t take day to day training. These days they have 10 times as many coaches for things they didn’t even consider needed coaching back then. 

So I think you’re right to identify this as an important skill. I think a modern day manager has a plan of what he wants the team to do and has a team of coaches to implement the plan. I’m pretty sure that is a massive over simplification but you get the general gist. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Right, but some options are less gambles than others. Unless the board really thought Smith would have relegated us, I'm not sure why they've seemingly decided to take such a massive gamble. With their aim being to get into Europe in the next couple of years, I'm sure there are guys out there with the pedigree to (likelier than others) deliver on that, or at the very least more so than Steven Gerrard. Maybe I've misjudged them, or they see something in him that I can't see.

Saw a clip on sky of purslow waxing lyrical about Gerrard and how he’d be a success the day he got the rangers job - I think purslow definately pushed hard for this 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Managerial merry go round this month - seems Rodgers has a clause thst he can go to a champions league club and United believed to be after him - wonder if smith would be considered by Leicester ? 
as for Gerrard this is a great chance for him given the backing of the board to get us into the top 8 or more during his time - JT won us over and I think Gerrard will to , I think he will get the club and not bleat on about liverpool in the way houllier did 

If Leicester hired Smith surely their fans would be in uproar. Think it'll be a lesser job than Leicester for him next.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Wenger seemed that way because of the era he started managing. He had 12 years of management experience before joining arsenal (including 7 years at Monaco). Of course, he'd have been well known if he did this today, but in the mid-80s to mid-90s people in the UK had little to no access to European club football and, obviously, no internet. So nobody knew who the hell he was when Arsenal hired him.

Before Arsenal he was managing in the J League in Japan 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah but that bullshit bluster ultimately genuinely threatened the very existence of Aston Villa. He'll never have anything more from me than utter contempt. 

He didn't need to bullshit to get the Villa job.

His 59% win ratio second to none was there for everyone to see.

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Saw a clip on sky of purslow waxing lyrical about Gerrard and how he’d be a success the day he got the rangers job - I think purslow definately pushed hard for this 

Hes a t**t thats why , bums off the liverpool club base , even if he was the coach driver at rangers he’d still hire stevie G 

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard (& his coaching team), are known at Rangers for high intensity, pressing, attacking almost tika taka type football at Rangers, whether this will translate to the PL who knows, or whether they will change to a different style of play?

Some vids showing Rangers under Gerrard:

Well that sounds good and thanks for the info ... problem is our players wouldn’t have a scooby how to play like that , bloody leon bailey cant even get back into his own half to defend 

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Given you are already thinking that will be a thing, can you appreciate that it could be true.  Three major signings of the summer having only been on the pitch together for 35 mins in total this season and injuries throughout midfield last game.  It’s not unreasonable assertion to say that Smith may have done it.  Smith is the past now but his shadow will cover Gerrard until Gerrard can prove himself in more than just the next few months.

It can’t ever be “true” because there is no way to verify it.

As for Gerrard being in Smith’s “shadow”, that may be how some people on sites like this see it but as long as Gerrard betters Smith’s record of just over 1 point per game in the calendar year. 2021,  he should be coming out into the sunlight.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Before Arsenal he was managing in the J League in Japan 

Yup... again, a league nobody had access to back then. He was only there for a year though. The rest of the time was spent in France with Nancy and Monaco.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Not surprising he would be the highest paid. Bruce was on 2.4m and Deano on 1.5m. They are not exactly PL manager wages these days

For someone that's a massive risk and unproven, he should be on the same as Dean at most. Dean got his contract having over achieved with the club. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Very similar to Liverpool, 433, high press

My local club hired a high pressing manager and even with a proper pre-season it took almost half the season to get the players firing and able to fully work his system. If he stick with that system get ready for some teething issues out the gate.