The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Michael Beale in London too as he has posted on Twitter 

He's just checking on his market stall in Albert Square. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Stevie G and Michael Beale leading the charge, I’m excited by it. Someone sent this in yesterday and watch from 7 minutes on, he comes across very well. Let’s see what they can do 

Accent will take some time to get used to.

• Like 2

Gerrard has also been linked with the Wolves, Necastle, and Arsenal managerial jobs recently, if he doesn't get the Villa job, then before long he'd get another job in the premier at a similar sized club. So in a sense I'm sure he would feel lucky to managing Villa as I'm sure most managers would, but not because he wouldn't be able to get a similar job elsewhere, and i'm sure his reputation helps with that, but it's also because he's done a very good job at Rangers and is getting himself a reputation as a very promising young manager.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's got to consider himself pretty fortunate that he's managed to get a job like this at this point in his career. 

Have Villa ever had a manager with less experience?

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Tony Barton? Graham turner? 

The balancing post would be to point out some of the more experienced managers we have appointed who ended up less than stellar. For starters, Houllier, Bruce….

You just can’t tell if a manager will click and it’s always a bit of a gamble no matter how experienced they are.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

No one is Guaranteed to bring our club success, no matter how knowledgeable or experienced they are purported to be.

However, If Steven Gerrard is our next manager, I will be highly delighted.

Why?.....He is a born winner, its in his DNA, its in his psyche, its in his mentality....It could be in his salary as the owners are equally taken by him...wealthy businessmen usually know the value of most things.

Steve has been a player of unparalleled proportions, accruing over a hundred caps, captaining one of the best clubs in Europe, lifting European cups and leads from the front, in all situations.

As a manager, he is relatively new, but has taken a Huge club, from a damaged place back to the top of scottish football....some will baulk at the standard of the league, but winning is not easy at any level....He has still wrestled the mantle from another massive club in Celtic, when Celtic ruled the roost, during Rangers demotion....it has been a remarkable rise, like a phoenix from the ashes.

Personally, I think it could be a perfect fit....good for SG to be challenging the elite managers he so craves to be, and great for Villa to get back that competitive edge, so needed to further our ambitions. It will undoubtedly raise our profile, outside of B6.

I hope it happens, and I will support him like I have done all our managers of the past.

It is a punt.  The difference in the standard of the leagues is very different.  But then sticking with a manager who only had experience in the Championship could be described the same way.  Smith deserved a shot because he got us promoted and he ultimately kept us up and at times had us playing and competing better in the top flight than we have for a long time.  I think SG has done enough in Scotland to be worth a chance in the PL.  But like you say @TRO where I think he might edge it against slightly more experienced managers is that he has experience (as a player) at the very top of the game.  He is a proven winner.  It has been a long time since we've had success inbred in our psyche - hopefully that is something that SG can bring with him.  He clearly has ambition to get to the very top in the managerial game too and nothing in his character suggests that he will do anything other than give it the best go he can.  Would I have liked to see him do well somewhere else other than just Scotland?  Probably.  But then if he did well somewhere else he might well have risen above us and gone straight to one of the teams (currently) above us.  I have some concerns - but in many ways I would much rather try with a young, potentially elite manager than someone with more experience but possibly a lower peak.  Aim for the stars and you might hit the roof type of idea.  It might not work.  It is a gamble.  But if everything SG has achieved to date is anything to go by - this could be the start of something really good.  I certainly expect (if he does sign) that the players will come out all guns blazing for the Brighton match.  I don't think he's the type of guy who would stand for the way we started against Southampton.

• Like 1

When we appointed Smith he hadn't achieved much, no more than plenty of other championship managers have achieved at similar sized Championship clubs, but was still a good fit as there's so much more to take into consideration when selecting a manager.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The balancing post would be to point out some of the more experienced managers we have appointed who ended up less than stellar. For starters, Houllier, Bruce….

You just can’t tell if a manager will click and it’s always a bit of a gamble no matter how experienced they are.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Although I'd say, experience and proven at a similar level lower the chances of it being a disaster. 

10 minutes ago, ada86 said:

This was my last clue tonight for the player like I said hopefully you can all get behind him when he makes first team and we talk about him in own thread rather than reserves, loan or liverpoool in the cup 😉

Louie Barry is going to become a first team player?!

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

You are like a rampant rabbit now you are here - you can’t stay away 😉

Is it Humphrey Bogarte ?  You naughty old tease 🤦🏻‍♂️

Lol 😂 that’s all the clue I can give other than it’s not a gk