The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Pretty sad that so many Villa fans on here are effectively saying that there is nothing Gerrard could do to win them over.

Another reason why it's a bad move. He will get very little grace period.

If Gerrard had proven himself or shown significant potential as a tactician, coach or manager, there would be very little argument.

The simple fact is he has proven none of the above and that alone is what makes this a huge risk, we need to take risk, however I'd hope for a more calculated risk.

Tim Sherwood had PL experience when we hired him...

Gerrard could be exceptional and if he's at villa, I hope he is, however there is very little evidence of that, and with our focus on statistical football now, I'd hope for a more imaginative hire.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

To completely win me over and me not have a nagging feeling about him not really wanting to be here and wanting to leave as soon as possible he'd have to go back in time and not say things like this about managing another club in our league who will have a managerial vacancy in a few years time at the latest.

“Would I love to be the coach of Liverpool one day? Is it a dream? Of course."

For me the bell can't be unrung and I'd always see his tenure as a short stop while he waits for the job he really wants. If he is appointed I will support him fully obviously (and pray the Beale hype is real) but it just won't be the same feeling as having someone in charge who is doing their dream job as well as taking us forward.

We've had it so good the last 3 years.

Edit - The middle ground of a manager like Favre who has no affinity to Villa or any other club in the league is far preferable to me.

That’s your gripe? That he wants to manage the club he supported? Doesn’t mean he is ever going to be appointed Liverpool manager. 

But you are right, we did have it so good and it’s a shame Smith wasn’t given more time imo, at least up till January. 

Just now, TreeVillan said:

You think Favre wouldn't leave us for Liverpool if they offered him the role in 18 months time? 

Not sure, he is unique because this would be probably his last job in football before retiring so think we could get three good years out of him without fear of him walking and maybe another two if very successful , this is why he is also my choice apart from the more obvious reasons 

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Pretty sad that so many Villa fans on here are effectively saying that there is nothing Gerrard could do to win them over.

many, myself included, said that because we don't think he will do better than smith would have done

we beat brighton, well he technically wouldn't have won me over because i'm confident we'd have won anyway, assuming we have key players back

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

At the same time you could also say £7m is a pittance for such an important role at the club. 

The same thinking goes to the valuation of goalkeepers too. It's such an integral role yet plenty of people get their backs up about a fee for a top keeper being a bit above a decent outfield player. 

supposedly way less than 7m, yet we've not eve had talks if you believe those that actually know. Not saying he won't come, but far from DONE as made out by some on here

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

The gamble is that Gerrard hasn't experience at this level and us unproven i.e. we do not know. With Deano we have had a year of very poor results and we are 11 games into a season and in relegation form. 

We also know Deano turned around sinking ships before with us, and we know we were capable of playing very good football under him, even this season. Keeping him would be a gamble, but with his history and connection to the club a gamble worth making imo.

SG is also a gamble, but an unknown one. Imagine if he comes in and we don't immediatly turn this around, i.e 2-3 more losses. What confidence do you have in him fixing it? He has never have to do that before, let alone in a league like the PL.  

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Clickbait sites saying there is a late twist. - can't get the full article.

Probably bollox.

Apparently Purslow wants Stephen Kenny if Ireland sack him, he has won many domestic leagues, played in Champions League and Europa group stage which seems to be the criteria for a new manager 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

They’ll be the first to really turn on Gerrard when a couple of results don’t go our way, mark my words.

The revisionism needs to stop. I trust the board with however gets the job. Smith hit his ceiling and that’s just the sad reality. The Southampton game showed that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

So people are talking about how Rangers play. But what is being neglected, is that Rangers have better players then every other team in the league and his tactics have been shaped by the need to break down teams that park the bus. Which means those tactics are going to be largely useless to us. He is going to have to adapt to his tactics to play on the backfoot some of time, on the front foot sometimes, and to wrestle for control or at least a foot in the game. Totally different to automatically having that control ceeded to them before a ball is even kicked (as a resultof parking the bus).

Benfica away. Played same way. Benfica score last minute goal to rescue draw. They did have man sent off in first half but Rangers totally dominated. SG sets up his teams to play this way, as you say, mostly against diddy teams but good, experienced teams in Europe as well and generally they dominate at home and hold their own away. 

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Another point on Gerrard, he manages in a league where he should be beating every team every time, bar one (possibly three with Hibs & Hearts). In the PL, 14 or 15 teams would likely beat Celtic in most meetings. Gerrard hasn’t been tested like that at Rangers.

I’m in the camp that Purslow has wanted Gerrard for a while and he’ll own the outcome either way. We have to get behind whoever comes in, but if it goes wrong then Mr Purslow needs to GTFO.

Was stories of him wanting Gerrard for over a year now, its a strange obsession

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

The revisionism needs to stop. I trust the board with however gets the job. Smith hit his ceiling and that’s just the sad reality. The Southampton game showed that. 

What the **** are you on about, how is that remotely relevant to my post

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

If Gerrard had proven himself or shown significant potential as a tactician, coach or manager, there would be very little argument.

The simple fact is he has proven none of the above and that alone is what makes this a huge risk, we need to take risk, however I'd hope for a more calculated risk.

Tim Sherwood had PL experience when we hired him...

Gerrard could be exceptional and if he's at villa, I hope he is, however there is very little evidence of that, and with our focus on statistical football now, I'd hope for a more imaginative hire.

To go an entire season unbeaten, that run extending to 40 games, is impressive no matter what League that is achieved in. Every great manager there has ever been, started out as a rookie. If he does come, let’s give the guy a chance ffs. It might go tits up, it might prove to be an inspired appointment, we don’t know. If he takes the reins, then buckle up and enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Your opinion Smith hit his ceiling…that’s not reality, it’s an opinion.

1 minute ago, Stoobs said:

Benfica away. Played same way. Benfica score last minute goal to rescue draw. They did have man sent off in first half but Rangers totally dominated. SG sets up his teams to play this way, as you say, mostly against diddy teams but good, experienced teams in Europe as well and generally they dominate at home and hold their own away. 

Benfica had 10 men for 71 minutes and even then Rangers threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 10 minutes