The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Wheres the £7m come from?

From this post:

1 hour ago, peterw said:

I've never had an ITK and don't really take much of this but this sent to me by a mate - I work in Delhi, he in Belgrade both at High Commissions/Embassy (for context) - his message thus:

Pal of mine working for Scot Govt who has close ties to the Rangers board reckons that Gerrard's reps, Rangers and Villa met last night. £7m compo on the table. Pretty much a done deal according to my mate. Only things left to negotiate is who Gerrard takes with him form the backroom and not leave Rangers too exposed without any first team coaches. Apparently...thought I'd share.

5 minutes ago, YLN said:

Getting rid of a manager that was supported by many many high profile fans, and many of the fans in the stadium, who was a villa fan, with a track record of going on hot and cold streaks, to replace him with what I would describe as a complete unknown,  who has only managed in a semi professional league (i exaggerate to make the point) is a very brave move. A very brave thing to do 

Is brave the right word? 

What exactly is the relevance of the high profile fans? Is it the fear of the reaction from Tom Hanks and Wills? 

Just now, Awol said:

Any hope that Gerrard is a big smoke screen and we unveil an experienced manager with pedigree like Favre or Ten Hag on Friday? 

That is the hope, yes. 

With the way we like to do business, the first part wouldn’t surprise me. Favre or Ten Hag bloody would though. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Things I'm not bothered by and could not care less about:

• The Liverpool connection
  • The media circus/speculation over his next job after Villa
  • The amount of compensation we'll end up paying to Rangers
  • What he did as a player or his personality on the field

Things that I am concerned about:

• His overall lack of experience as a manager (only ~3 years of experience)
  • Never had to manage a team in a bad run of form or having to turn around a team not meeting expectations
  • The huge step up to managing Villa from the SPL
  • The lack of evidence that he's an improvement on Smith
  • The missed opportunity of appointing a better manager and this may set us back another 2-3 years in our pursuit of European football

Exactly my views as well

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

What exactly is the relevance of the high profile fans? Is it the fear of the reaction from Tom Hanks and Wills? 

Tom Hanks is fuming, apparently smashed one of his Oscars. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

This thread is going to be a quality re-read in 6 months time however things turn out. 

So many massive assumptions and hyperbole its amazing. 

Probably be another new manager thread then 😉

4 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Things I'm not bothered by and could not care less about:

• The Liverpool connection
  • The media circus/speculation over his next job after Villa
  • The amount of compensation we'll end up paying to Rangers
  • What he did as a player or his personality on the field

Things that I am concerned about:

• His overall lack of experience as a manager (only ~3 years of experience)
  • Never had to manage a team in a bad run of form or having to turn around a team not meeting expectations
  • The huge step up to managing Villa from the SPL
  • The lack of evidence that he's an improvement on Smith
  • The missed opportunity of appointing a better manager and this may set us back another 2-3 years in our pursuit of European football

And this is pretty much where I'm at too. Great post!

Really think we need to stop faffing around with "experiments" just because they might work when we should steady the ship, keep stable for a few seasons and go with sensible growth, as that is all FFP allows us to do at the moment. I fear this could be another Sherwood or O'Leary type appointment, starts well, then slowly ebbs into the ether of crapness.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

It just seems a lazy appointment and not really the one to take us to the 'next level'

is it though? or will it be spun that we've gone out and got the best young english manager that there is right now who is leaving the SPL champions and european football to come and manage us

take that apart and ask who is there thats that kind of age, english and better? Potter? he's not got the sure fire home run CV either 

Who is there that won the league last year that would come to us? or leave european football for us?

i would guess the general consensus in football would be that we've taken a brave but ambitious decision and villa fans will be more negative than that consensus, that said because there is no blindingly obvious good appointment to be made here they please every villa fan, thats near impossible at the best of times

• Like 1