The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He thought he had the job but then realised we weren't interested. 

spacer.png

He strikes me as the sort who wouldn’t leave a team in the lurch mid-season, but if he could secure an interview I think he'd impress.  Taking Leipzig to runners-up and sixth place finishes in the Bundesliga surely trumps winning the SPL against a Celtic side listing like a torpedoed boat under Neil Lennon.  People cite the two 9-0 defeats, but Southampton had players sent off early in both of those (in the match against United, three of the goals against them came after they'd been reduced to nine).  Awful scorelines, yes, but with somewhat mitigating circumstances.  I think he's ready for the step-up in expectation that moving to Villa would bring.

• Like 1

Logical flaws aplenty

Steven Gerrard is interested in being Aston Villa's next manager

Villa have made background checks on Gerrard and his potential staff (you'd hope so given the job as with any potential candidate)

The Purslow tidbit could be about anyone

but the lure of a big Premier League job is giving Villa encouragement of agreeing a deal - not as certain as the headline claims

if, as expected, talks are successful. A little contradiction in the same paragraph

Martinez is understood to be a realistic alternative if Villa fail to persuade Gerrard to succeed Dean Smith - but he's interested, we are interested, we might find a deal... we WILL have a deal.

Nothing in that article suggests that it will happen despite its bold claims. It's hedging bets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm not jumping over the moon, but there are worse candidates so I'll take Stevie G

The problem I have is there are loads of candidates that are better than him and not elite managers who we should be looking at instead.  It’s like when you were a kid and you go into the electrical store and see all the great tvs for sale and your dad buys the crap one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Percy isn't the messiah.

The article is more speculation.

Gerrard is interested, Villa might approach, and expected to be successful. If not, it will be Martinez.

The story really isn't all that

The only person filled with more trepidation than me after reading this sentence is Bruno Fernandes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

He’s the most reliable villa journo by far IMO. And please tell me the article doesn’t say that?

"Martinez is understood to be a realistic alternative if Villa fail to persuade Gerrard to succeed Dean Smith"

They don't know either and are just speculating. Most of the article presents nothing new.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why so interested but turned down Newcastle. Thats what makes me suspicious. 

Zero infrastructure at Newcastle. No staff, training ground abysnal.  15 years of the absolute minimum investment by Ashley.

What we have is a proper infrastructure in terms of people and training ground. Plus the ambitious owners willing to fund success . There is nothing you have to do with the Villa other than put a winning team on the pitch. Everyrhing and i mean everything else is in place 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEgo said:

Nonsense. Purslow owns shares in Villa (part of the criteria to him being appointed) so I don't see him just doing a favour to a mate. It just doesn't make sense. We need to try and be rational about this 

When Purslow talked about ambition, then comes up with (his friend/hero) Gerrard, who has zero managerial experience in a top class, competitive league, i am left with the opinion that this appointment is being made with Gerrard first and villa as a secondary consideration. Just my opinion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Give me Gerrard over Martinez every day of the week, I’ll be very disappointed if that’s who we end up with 

Honestly, I feel that we're being manipulated by leaking two candidates with one of them just being a truly terrible option, to make Gerrard look better by comparison.

• Like 2

It's not 2003 anymore, a manager can only do so much.

If we have a backroom of analytics, statisticians, a good scouting network, the right commercial people, all Gerrard would have to do is coach the team.

Not even that - that would be a role of his coaches. He would come in to manage them, and oversee day to day training. Gerrard would be responsible for being the head of the first team, a leader in the dressing room, and someone who can influence the game from the sidelines.

I am not overly excited by Gerrard, but one thing is for sure - he sure as heck brings some character to the team and I'm confident his understanding of the game is up there with the best.

So if he is brought in to only do his job of day to day management, he might be a very good option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This man means business. 

Sounded more like when the missus harps on and on about going shopping and you have to give in otherwise you’ll never hear the end of it so reluctantly you say “Let’s go”

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Honestly, I feel that we're being manipulated by leaking two candidates with one of them just being a truly terrible option, to make Gerrard look better by comparison.

How optimistic.

If Gerrard is the one, then it is vital we get the full team that has worked with him at Rangers in. If it isn’t the full coaching team to lay the foundations at the beginning, then there isn’t much point. 

• Like 1

When I've seen Gerrard speak after matches he always appears honest and will say If they were shite

Not faffed about Mcallister though and never heard of the Beale chap. 

Whilst Gerrard wouldn't be exciting (neither was Deano initially), it would be quite a lot more exciting than the prospect of Martinez