The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Because your responses don't seem to align at all to the Rangers fan bases' apparent feeling on this.  Or maybe your 7 family members who are season ticket holders at Ibrox really, really rate Dean Smith.

Either way, I guess.

They don’t want him to leave but have said Dean Smith would be a good replacement for Stevie G if he does go to Villa.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

No, that is false....sure it helps if you know intimately, the candidates credentials....I got all my jobs on what I did previously, not on interviews, where I was probably crap.

I think you are misrepresenting our Ceo ( I have no idea if CP is good bad or indifferent) but if he did get it and it turned out well, does it matter, its not the process, its the outcome that matters.

I would suspect having trust and a good working relationship helps.....but it doesn't matter how friendly, they are SG will know only winning will keep him in the seat.....They both know that.

Yes, you like me, got jobs based on what we did previously the same skill set/work type, what Purslow knows about Gerrard is as a player not as a manager it’s fundamentally a different skill.  Yes there is some cross over but just as there are the Pep’s of this world there are poor examples like Keane, Gary Neville and even lesser extent Ole and Lampard.

I have trust and a great relationship with many of my friends doesn’t mean they have the skill set to work in my industry (in fact most of them I would fire fairly quickly I’m guessing 😂)

As for if he did get and was successful, that’s a big if and it’s just speculation like me saying if he fails the process matters because it would’ve avoided this outcome..

Yes SG will know that only winning matters but I know that as well but that doesn’t me a candidate for the job.

Anyway all the fluff around every which way people present it, I’m just not sure why Gerrard is getting looked at for the role, it just defies the communication about the direction of the club.

27 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Always amazes me that some fans think that being ultra critical of everything and being "demanding" means they personally are a winner. It's the entire premise of Arsenal Fan TV.

I am not saying I am a winner.....I was when I was working.....I made sure, I hit my targets every month, year on year.

"Demanding",sure as hell, I am...."critical", sure if I see something amiss, I will say it...."ultra", no I don't think so, but up to others to judge, thats subjective.

In my honest opinion, having all the football knowledge in the world and being brought up in the Industry, do I think I could do it......No......I am not blessed with the right kind of character to be an Elite football manager...I would love to say I could, but NO.

We have to remember here a fanbase is compiled by a plethora of personalities and subsequently opinions......but Arsenal, were right IMO to voice their disapprovable of the teams performances and the clubs intentions of a super league.

I was involved in VFC many years ago, protesting against HDE, I have sinced mellowed somewhat, and do see some of the things he was good at , like club discipline, it deteriorated under Lerner and Xia.

Nothing is achieved, without fight, or drive or a willingness to baulk at defeat....The top clubs are not there by chance, they are there, because they demand it and part of that demand is financing it, and that takes huge conkers to fund your dreams....It can spill over to the fanbase too, we sometimes refer to it as entitlement, but I am not so sure it is, they just get caught up in the winning mentality of the club and the synergy of it....its expectation to win......makes the day out far more appealing.

13 minutes ago, John said:

Had a little look on Gersnet: https://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/ipboard/topic/45919-gerrard-to-aston-villa/

Their posts include:

"If SG gets offered the Villa job then I’d suggest it’s a certainty he’ll take it.!"

"A born winner might see it more as a sleeping giant and a terrific challenge. Either way, Villa are a big club in a top league, with significant resources.  Rangers are big club in a diddy league, who just announced we're really skint. I think Gerrard will want to see this season out at Ibrox but who knows (other than him)..."

& last, but not least:

"We're being naive if we think Aston Villa aren't an attractive club for anyone raised in England. They genuinely are the proverbial sleeping giant. They've a big support, based in the second largest city in the country, and a decent history to match. They might have been a yo-yo side in recent times but I'm old enough to remember when Man City and Chelsea were too. Aston Villa have ambitious billionaire owners, a decent squad and money in the bank from the sale of Grealish. On top of that Birmingham is only a couple of hours drive from Liverpool, Gerrard could be home with his family every night. I suspect Gerrard knows that unless he can turn Rangers into perennial Champion's League participants his managerial pedigree isn't good enough for the Liverpool job currently. But, take a side like Aston Villa back into Europe, have them playing exciting football, maybe win a cup, and he's very much in the frame. Remember Klopp had won the Bundesliga and reached the Champion's League final before he was considered for Liverpool. We've not spoken a lot about our recent financial report and what that might mean for the club. Gerrard and his coaching staff are ambitious and our failure to beat Malmo was a huge blow to the club. If we don't win the league this season we might have a problem, we can't keep losing those kind of sums. Having crowds back is a huge help, but we can only balance the books by qualifying for the Champion's League or by selling someone for decent money. Gerrard and his coaching team might feel they've taken us as far as they can with the players we have. Hopefully that's not the case and he does fancy a crack at winning the SPFL and then straight into the Champion's League next season." 

It's refreshing to stand back and read an opinion from way outside the Villa. Sometimes we get bogged down in doom and gloom and forget how others view our club. We are a great club, and we are a great opportunity for whoever we employ as our next manager.

Let's not sell ourself short just because this year's form and recent events have either annoyed or saddened us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Eh making cowardly tackles and getting red cards doesn't make you a hardman

Of course not but everyone has made a bad tackle at some point it happens. We are at the stage now with SG, that we were over the last few weeks/months with Dean Smith but with different posters now. Not so long ago there were posters who blamed Dean if it was raining or the postman lost their letter. Other people were defensive beyond all reason and the man could do no wrong which is equally ridiculous. Now in judging the merits of the suitability of a manager it seems to be that people are desperately dragging up any stick  they can to beat a candidate with. Accent, where he’s from, where he might go, a tackle he made years ago, a punch up in a pub. My 7 year old daughter tells less childish stories about what goes on in the play ground. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

20 years ageaybe but I think the days are gone of managers who can rule by fear. Players sit on multi million pound contracts. Man city and Chelsea  are different, they can afford to freeze these players out and not worry about the financial impact . Klopp is unique and although he is strong he leads with encouragement.

If a manager with next to no experience comes in and starts throwing his weight about he will not last 5 minutes in the modern game. The players will freeze him out, they have the power. If an experienced respected  manager comes in then he stands a chance.

you have completely misread my thoughts....I have not intended to say " Rule by Fear" that is an extreme interpretation.

Fear can be subtle, it be latent, it can be there, without knowing its there....some folk walk in to a room and you feel it, immediately, its wrapped up with Charisma, respect and other attributes....The folk can still be charming, but you are wary of them, you watch your words carefully when you speak, but you still like them, but then that like is more like respect....its a fine line.

If you think I was refering to Mike Basset or the like, you have grabbed the wrong end of the stick, all together.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

There is always the possibility he could turn us down....

I don't think i could ever be happier from receiving a snub if this is the case.

I think he will turn us down.

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Be interesting if Gerrard is appointed how he uses Luiz and McGinn 

Getting a tune out of our midfield up until Jan is absolute crucial to turning things around. Sanson will get a clean slate and Carney may get a chance too. On recent form I don’t see SJM as a nailed on starter.

Bringing through the youth will be something the owners want to see regardless of who is head coach.

54 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Always amazes me that some fans think that being ultra critical of everything and being "demanding" means they personally are a winner. It's the entire premise of Arsenal Fan TV.

Or that thinking your criticism as a fan because of some sense of superiority over other fans has any positive outcome on whether the team wins, absolutely bizarre.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's refreshing to stand back and read an opinion from way outside the Villa. Sometimes we get bogged down in doom and gloom and forget how others view our club. We are a great club, and we are a great opportunity for whoever we employ as our next manager.

Let's not sell ourself short just because this year's form and recent events have either annoyed or saddened us.

A man who is confident in his own ability, will jump at it...Taking on Klopp, Guardiola,Tuchel and the like, would warm the heart of any striving manager, with a point to prove.

Our team looks flat on its rear, and clearly unbalanced.... but with the right additions and a bit of foresight, this can easily be turned in to a winning unit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

20 years ageaybe but I think the days are gone of managers who can rule by fear. Players sit on multi million pound contracts. Man city and Chelsea  are different, they can afford to freeze these players out and not worry about the financial impact . Klopp is unique and although he is strong he leads with encouragement.

If a manager with next to no experience comes in and starts throwing his weight about he will not last 5 minutes in the modern game. The players will freeze him out, they have the power. If an experienced respected  manager comes in then he stands a chance.

Am I naive in thinking, say we do get Gerrard, our squad made up of largely English players will be more respectful of him than for example Favre. Yes Favre etc have managed in Germany France amongst others but I think Gerrard demands a certain level of respect also. There’s no denying his record at the top level as a player and the majority of our team will have grown up aware of him as a player.  

• Like 2

I get the impression that nearly all of our players are in for massive wake-up call if Gerrard takes the job which will be good. I'm not saying he's Diego Simeone, but i think he's one of those managers where you don't realise how much you were going through the motions previously until he walks through the door and sets his standards. 

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes, you like me, got jobs based on what we did previously the same skill set/work type, what Purslow knows about Gerrard is as a player not as a manager it’s fundamentally a different skill.  Yes there is some cross over but just as there are the Pep’s of this world there are poor examples like Keane, Gary Neville and even lesser extent Ole and Lampard.

I have trust and a great relationship with many of my friends doesn’t mean they have the skill set to work in my industry (in fact most of them I would fire fairly quickly I’m guessing 😂)

As for if he did get and was successful, that’s a big if and it’s just speculation like me saying if he fails the process matters because it would’ve avoided this outcome..

Yes SG will know that only winning matters but I know that as well but that doesn’t me a candidate for the job.

Anyway all the fluff around every which way people present it, I’m just not sure why Gerrard is getting looked at for the role, it just defies the communication about the direction of the club.

...but in this case, your friend (let's call him Steve), has been working at a smaller business in your industry for 3 years and showing pretty positive signs that he can progress to a bigger role.

Again, I'm not absolutely pro Gerrard, but if he wasn't showing a decent amount of promise to those that know in football, they wouldn't be touting him for the Liverpool job one day. It's more than just his name and footballing past.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

because, I speak from the heart, some folk think things and keep them to themselves, ( the wisest move, I Know)my weakness, is I say it.if I feel it.

I say this with respect Pete, I think you are missing a point in all of this....I could write reams of good things about Dean Smith, but just as one example, I see some things in Ron Saunders, that Dean just doesn't have and never will.....does those things manifest themselves in to the team, eventually, I think so....I would guess, Dean has many attributes Ron never had, but that doesn't compensate, from what was missing.....Ron engendered that element of fear, in his persona, I don't think Dean did.....I think many folk will misinterpret that as not being approachable, but that would be misleading. Klopp and Pep would be approachable, but they engender an element of fear too.   I have seen Ron Saunders first hand say yes to a dodgy question posed by a player, but when we walked away, we all went phew!! that was close....thats the fear, I mean, it keeps folk on their toes...its not nasty, but its mot woolly either....it engenders respect, not likeability.

You like many others, set about writing all the good things about Dean and you are not wrong, and neither are they, but it doesn't make up for whats missing, and as time has unfolded imv it has become more and more relevant....Every manager, is a throw of the dice, its just hoping the tools they have will make the most impact, and there again , impact has a shelf life too....a safe pair of hands is a great attribute, but would Abramovich agree, No, because he wants to win and willing to take the gamble...and when he starts slipping changes it.

Its unlikely the next Manager, will be a long stayer, because its the nature of the beast, its an intense business, that requires an intense approach....It's not a close the door go home pipe and slippers and see you Monday, that is not why Elite managers get paid Hollywood Wages...They eat breathe and sleep it. ( I am not aimimg a swipe at Dean, by the way, just trying to add perspective to what we are dealing with)

Football management is a monster, that will consume you, if you haven't got the mental toughness for it......I see some managers around, who have some really good skills, but are they tough and durable enough, I am then not so sure.

Leading a group of highly trained fit young men with attitude, takes attitude as well....There is not many who could do it....I know even with all the football knowledge, I have not got the Character to do it, but I am pretty sure I know a man, when I see one.

It would take a certain kind of blind man, not to see the good Dean Has brought to our club, he has brought, stability, Harmony and a kind of togetherness, we cannot dismiss, its been huge in developing the feel good factor.....but for me I see and ingredient, that is missing and its no criticism of Dean, none of can be blessed with everything....I think we are ready for a different skill set in the manager Head coach, whether the club see it the same, time will tell.

Not meaning to pee on anything Ron achieved but I don’t think in this day and age he would’ve been a success. 

• Haha 1