The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think Useless, has a very valid point...its the Liverpool thing that clouds some folks judgement....Its hate that consumes folk.

In contrast Jack has gone to City and his passion for Villa has just been, dismissed bu city fans.....they are just focused on having him play for them.

Steven Gerrard Carried Liverpool at times and was larger than life, he was born there, just like our Jack.....why should we be so insular, to not give a chance to a manager, who has took his winning mentality as a player in to management....John Terry, was never shy telling us of his love for Chelsea, but he soon gained a soft spot for us too.....Aston Villa is an easy club to gain affection for, its happened to so many, who have passed through the annals of this great old club.

Anyone who is so blind to just look at the Scottish League quality, and not see the monumental job of restoring Rangers pride and status, after their dramatic fall, astounds me.

We may not get Steven Gerrard, I don't think we will, because he has aligned himself for more silverware......but given the opportunity, we would be mad not to take it.

serial Winner, thats who he is.

Serial winners as players don’t always make good managers, there are probably more examples that don’t than do.

I do though instinctively feel Gerrard is one more likely to succeed than fail, there are others I wouldn’t say that about.

Personally I can understand the mixed views on Gerrard, I think and have thought all through he is most likely to be appointed, part of me is excited by that but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a number of reservations.

He has done a good job at Rangers, probably very good but not monumental in my opinion I think that is a bit strong.

I do though agree people need to set aside the Liverpool player/icon element of this and be a little more objective.

If offered, I think he will take it and I think he will be offered. That is just my hunch though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Most of the Liverpool pundit juggernaut are pissing their pants that beloved Stevie ( if he gets the job) could grow to have alternative love.

I would suspect thay are all on the phone, telling him not to take it, if offered.

Villa are an easy club to lose your heart to......and they know it.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Oh don't worry.  If it looks like they're going to take a hit expect to see new favorites emerge with plenty of stories across their media platforms to drive betting that way instead till they've got the books nice and balanced. 

To be honest Sid, I doubt the market for managerial specials is that big.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Serial winners as players don’t always make good managers, there are probably more examples that don’t than do.

I do though instinctively feel Gerrard is one more likely to succeed than fail, there are others I wouldn’t say that about.

Personally I can understand the mixed views on Gerrard, I think and have thought all through he is most likely to be appointed, part of me is excited by that but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a number of reservations.

He has done a good job at Rangers, probably very good but not monumental in my opinion I think that is a bit strong.

I do though agree people need to set aside the Liverpool player/icon element of this and be a little more objective.

If offered, I think he will take it and I think he will be offered. That is just my hunch though.

This is exactly where I am on Gerrard. A little bit excited, but also a little bit nervous.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I couldn't be more underwhelmed if it's Gerrard.

Me too. His 'achievements' in Scotland are about equal to Olé's in Molde. I'd prefer someone who has managed at a much higher level. 

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

I'd say it's nearly a done deal, sky just said absolutely no contact has been made by Villa for Gerrard, trying to slow the betting down maybe. Sky *****

What makes you think that? The Hamish Azul account is a fraud (his photo is of a Soviet classical singer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Khil) and I haven't seen anything else substantive.

Did we not have something very similar when Smith joined, and all the chatter was that it would be Thierry Henry?

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

winning becomes a habit....that winners crave for......He's my type of guy.

I don't want the next manager to be my friend or say hello to me in the street.....I want someone to get my club to win games on a consistent level.

Well Gerrard looks like he will become our manager because of his friend and not because of his CV.  So sometimes friends open doors that otherwise shouldn’t be open.

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I can't believe we've nobody lined up and we are know going to make an approach to talk to Gerrard.

This is going to be a farce. I don't even see him wanting to come here...not that I'd want him either tbfh.

I don't think this is true. Yes it's what the press are suggesting. I personally believe we have someone lined up and it's just under under wraps as that's how we do our business. Exciting and interesting few days ahead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

How has this Steven Gerrard serial winner come up. He won 7 trophies in his playing career 

Frank Lampard was a serial winner or Andrea Pirlo i dont want them in charge either 

It's the new 'tall defensive midfielder' 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

How has this Steven Gerrard serial winner come up. He won 7 trophies in his playing career 

Frank Lampard was a serial winner or Andrea Pirlo i dont want them in charge either 

Gary Neville has 20 titles during his career, let's get him. He must be phenomenal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@DCJonah - From my end, it's difficult to say how I'd react to it. I don't rate the SPL and I hate the Old Firm clubs anyway, but there's a part of me that thinks that I'd be looking for the positives. Thing is though, if I did any digging and found out that this manager was much as a bellsniff as Gerrard is, I'd probably come to the same conclusion.