The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ridiculous. What recently promoted club has ever achieved continuous improvement? You get setbacks along the way, you learn from them, you stabilise, and you then look to the next plateau. It takes time, and patience. 

We're heading back to the Doug Ellis three-year cycle at this rate. 

Yes, can't help but think similar. There was a graph I saw charting Smith's/Villa's form up the leagues - currently we are at the foot of a large dip - but every other dip on the chart had been followed by significant improvement. We have no choice but to trust we will do better with a new man, but wowzers it is a precarious position for Purslow - huuuuge call and I hope he's prepared to take the good and the bad come what may.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Gerrard ruled himself out of the Toon job, I do recall he commented on it and the media picked it up that he wasn't interested. There is deafening silence form him on the Villa job. If he wasn't interested I suspect we would have heard that he is very happy where he is etc

• Like 1

Just now, Steero113 said:

We get it mate, you don't like the bloke. 

Not my first choice, but if he's appointed, he should get everyone's support as we are meant to be supporters of the club. 

I'm sure we all will. I will for sure, but at the moment we've not appointed anyone, and we're in the debating new managers phase. There seems to have been a trend this morning of people warming to Gerrard. Which is fine. There also seems to have been a trend of people (not including yourself in this) suggesting that others are in some way deluded, ungrateful or moronic for wanting someone else. Which is not. 

Point is we're still debating future appointments here. Defending them against criticism probably comes later. 

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I wonder if there are World Class managers out there we have completely forgotten about, I was going through the former Barcelona coaches list and obviously Luis Enrique stood out, but he is with Spain and then there was Ernesto Valverde who looks like he is currently unemployed.

Have Marcello Gallardo at River Plate or Sergio Conceicao at Porto had a mention? 

Part of me is intrigued by Gerrard and part of me is hoping we’re going to announce someone out of the blue and not from the names we’re seeing announced. 

I think he’s done an incredible job at Rangers but there are still huge questions over wether or not that will translate into performances against much better opposition. Some of the SPL teams are league one standard. I think they’ve done fairly well in Europe and had some great results but in reality Rangers aren’t going to be pushing to the later stages in the Europa league. 
I have no dislike towards him from his time as a player and wouldn’t use that as a reason not to get behind him now even if I did. Stuff off the pitch happens unfortunately but John terry is the best example of how you can get past it and start to support someone. I think we could do with a manager who’s not going to take any shit. He’s a winner and always has been, and I think that will massively benefit our dressing room. He also has a big point to prove and this will only benefit us, if he’s successful. We have a very good squad IMO and that’s going to benefit anyone who comes in, January’s not far away and in terms of points we’re only 7 off 6th place, not that that’s what we’ll now be aiming for but the table isn’t looking too bad yet. 

Favre would be an exciting appointment, all roads seem to be pointing towards Gerrard though

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I love Dean Smith. The man has class, integrity, is a very capable manager and is one of us. However, losing over half of your games in a year is not sustainable, and the PL is no place for sentiment if we're looking to progress. 

Whilst it's sad that it came to this, the man has deservedly been given the chance to manage Aston Villa - a job we'd all do for free if we could! He's also been able to leave the club with his head held high before Villa Park became toxic and, as such, will always be loved by the fans.

When hiring Smith, candidates needed to impress the owners and the CEO that their investment is in good hands. Just like Deano did.

If it is to be Gerrard, it will be because he's shown enough to take care of the club for a while and not because Purslow has his phone number.

I agree.....In a nutshell.

Its ready for phase 2 and they need to get it right.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm hearing rumours Villa have made contact with Estevao Gerrardinho. He has managed over 200 games for Porto, touted as a young manager with tons of potential. 

Sounds like a gamble, but intriguing nonetheless. Anyone know much about him? 

Even Google hasn't heard of him. He could be a big risk 

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Does anyone know if Gerrard ruled himself out of the Toon job, I do recall he commented on it and the media picked it up that he wasn't interested. There is deafening silence form him on the Villa job. If he wasn't interested I suspect we would have heard that he is very happy where he is etc

Not heard a peep. Doesn't sound as though they were after him. 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Steve Bruce would dominate the SPL with a similar budget 

I get that Zatman, but you can only beat what's in front of you (/KW.gif). We know that Steve Bruce has a pretty low glass ceiling, but we don't know how much further Gerrard can go. I agree that perhaps we shouldn't be the vehicle to test his potential, but I would also like to think that a lot of research will be done by Purslow and Lange to ensure we're in good hands.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I agree.....In a nutshell.

Its ready for phase 2 and they need to get it right.

I think we should be going into phase two with the expectation that it will be a 2 to 3 year project and at the end of it we will likely be changing manager again for the next level manager. Yes, there is a chance whoever comes in now may be able to take us to top 4 but I am not banking on it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rjenkins said:

Rangers Fan 2:

Things I don't like about him is that he can be slow to make subs or change tactically and that I think he is overly loyal to players who could do with getting dropped from time to time.

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

I love Dean Smith. The man has class, integrity, is a very capable manager and is one of us. However, losing over half of your games in a year is not sustainable, and the PL is no place for sentiment if we're looking to progress

Whilst it's sad that it came to this, the man has deservedly been given the chance to manage Aston Villa - a job we'd all do for free if we could! He's also been able to leave the club with his head held high before Villa Park became toxic and, as such, will always be loved by the fans.

When hiring Smith, candidates needed to impress the owners and the CEO that their investment is in good hands. Just like Deano did.

If it is to be Gerrard, it will be because he's shown enough to take care of the club for a while and not because Purslow has his phone number.

It's not about sentiment, though. It's about this being a bad decision that doesn't take into account why we lost over half our games this year.

And then someone will just step in and say "stop making excuses" as if there's no point in trying to understand why anything in this world happens. It's unhinged.

Smith would have turned things around (my guess would be another 11th/12th kind of finish), and then we could have had a proper conversation about progression in the spring/summer, when loads of top managers become available.

This is knee jerk, and the names we're being linked with prove that.

• Like 3

Probably wouldn't have been top of my list, but I'm prepared to get on the Gerrard train (assuming he brings his team with him). I think there's a lot he will bring to the instant impact (new manager bounce if you will) that some of the foreign names touted wouldn't find so easy. And we need an instant response to keep us out of the relegation zone.

• Like 1